Landslides kill 13 people in Bali

balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Up to 40,000 people were caught in severe flooding following days of torrential rain in central Indonesia, where the death toll from landslides on the resort island of Bali rose to 13, officials said Saturday.

Indonesia’s Disaster Mitigation Agency said that incessant rains in the past five days caused rivers on Sumbawa island to break their banks and inundate seven sub-districts in West Nusa Tenggara province.

The agency’s spokesman, Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, said a total of 40,291 villagers were affected by the floods with rainfall ranging from 30 to 70 centimeters (12 to 28 inches).

Most of the victims were temporarily sheltering at mosques and government offices, while more than 8,000 others remained isolated and were staying at their stilt houses in two sub-districts that are accessible by rubber boats.

People are in urgent need of clean water, public kitchens, food as well as medicines, Mr. Nugroho said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/landsl...as-disaster-mitigation-agency-says-1486802854

davita

Mar 13, 2012
To provide continuity I suggest this thread be merged with the one I wrote yesterday....Bangli Landslide.
edit: OR.... change the title to reflect it isn't about Bali, but about Sumbawa, as that appears the direction the thread is going.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Not surprising about Sumbawa - an absolute ecological disaster with the only motorized, 4 wheeled saws I've ever seen. Racing each other to get to the last remaining trees on the island to support a crippled furniture "industry".

"So yea sow, so shall yea reap" - feck em and hope the last native is washed off the island and then leave it for a century.

Good roads though...

Reactions: bunyip