spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Just wondering how popular this is in Bali.

Also is Bali a good place for kite surfing in comparison with other destinations in Asia? I know it is quite big in Vietnam (Mui Ne) for example.

kitesurfbali

May 25, 2009
Hello there,
in Bali at the moment we are about 30 to 40 resident kiters between Indonesian and Expatriate.
We even have an informative web site http://www.bali-kitesurfing.org to cater for visitor and locals alike.
Is getting more and more popular and the place to be is Kitebeach in Sanur.
Windy season is a bit late this year but looks like is going to start before the end of May.
YOu need a bigger kite the 10m.. Mostly we use a 14m flat for a rider of 70-80 kilos.
Hope this can help.
Bye Jankie

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Old thread...but can anyone tell me how much a second hand complete kit, or new with a good deal...will cost for a complete beginner ?

Beginner meaning never before...180cm tall and 80kg's.

I ran into a couple of guys last year at Canggu and they said the equipment was quite expensive there to buy, think he mentioned a price of $3k for his kit, but not 100% on that.

If so expensive thinking to get a kit here and bring with me.

Also lessons...any idea how much ?

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
In case anyone else interested....got a price for lessons at 500k for 2 hours.

A kite kit, not include board, around $900.

Anyone have first hand experience ?

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
I helped fly a kite for about 5 minutes during the kite festival in Sanur. No idea on cost of anything.When you get here maybe check with local Banjars and see if they have a kite flying group..

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
You been into the Bintangs again, Smoke? Samsiam is asking about kite surfing, not kite flying. :eagerness:

normal_051945d5ee6cb27daa5646cfeb5c9ebe.jpg

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
my eyes are playing tricks on me (along with the Bingtang helping )

In Sanur there are a few placed that have it and lots of young kids learning.Next time I am at that beach I will pick up some info

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
The guy who responded to the thread in May 2009, is named Jankie. He is still running kite surfing schools here. A lot of the kite surfing is done from Mertasari beach which is about 80 metres from my place.
Jankie's web site is still current so you should be able to contact him via that particular path. He would know what is for sale and what prices you should be paying.

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
^ yes, got in touch with him, thats where the prices above came from...but he does not run the school or teach anymore himself.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Bumping this thread a bit coz' yesterday we went to Echo Beach Club for lunch. It was quite windy there and most surfers were up the beach a bit but one guy...a kite-surfer...was the show...he was unbelievable and made my afternoon. He jumped waves, did u turns..went offshore and came in on the back of the surf at great speed, got real close to the rocks near the Pura and flipped 180 degrees...I'm sure he was a pro.
His agility and strength was awesome and he did this for at least 1-1/2 hours all while I downed a few Kilkennys (Rp25,000 ea) and had a few burps, with lunch.

I recall Samsiam wrote posts about how he came to Bali as he and his son wanted to learn Kite-surfing...was that you?

I'd loved to have shaken this guy's hand as he put on such a show.....but he eventually came ashore way up the beach.

Reactions: spicyayam

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Dudes ... not me, wish it was ... soon though..... had a couple of goes at it, most recently was last month over on Lombok... the 3 of us, but then big storm took us down and not had chance to go again and with windy season closing out in September, might miss out again this year. Love it though, kids too ... bloody expensive to kit up, $6 to $8k for 3 of us. .... boogey board until next year i guess.

Reactions: spicyayam

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Oh and forgot to mention the kitesurf spots.....

As mentioned, Sanur and mertasari beach, great spot and the pond is great area to kite on.

Canggu between Brawa and Batu Bolong .. but need few years experience at least... big windy and can be big surf.

Lombok .. kuta beach and newish spot kaliantan beach...great big pond there, lots of wind and longer season supposedly.

Aceh is supposed to be very good, kite beach, even bikinis allowed on this beach only.

And another spot, cannot recall name but the national park area in balis north west, around the ferry area across to java ... google that one.

Last edited: