KITAP, KITAS & IMTA confusion

islandchef

Feb 7, 2011
Hopefully somebody can advise & clarify my confusion.
I am legally married to an Indonesian for 13 years & KITAS/working permits are always processed by my employer, even though i am married, if i dont have the company sponsorship, i cannot stay in Indonesia.
Is it possible while employed with company sponsored KITAS / IMTA to change to a wife sponsored KITAP?
My understanding is if i am sponsored by my wife I can stay here for 5 years & the company then only has to process the IMTA (working permit )
Is this correct & what is the best action ?

Cheers.

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
Correct, switch sponsor to wife then process kitas to kitap ,check with immigration the docs required ,the employer is then responsible for your imta and I presume the multi entry .
I have not done this personally , iv done the married kitas to kitap route , but I have read on other forums such as "expat indo" others whom have done it without issue ,then when completed you are secure in indonesia ,working or not .

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
tel522's advice is mainly correct. You can remain in Indonesia for immigration purposes under a spouse sponsored Kitas or Kitap, while at the same time getting your IMTA through your employer. As immigration also does the MERP (entry, re-entry permit), your wife will be your sponsor for that as well.