Annam

Oct 6, 2011
kerobokan
I made a mistake this week : used the services, but didn't ask, rather assumed, the cost!!! So, bit of a shock today when the bill came in! It wasn't much : just the principle and my hurt pride! Yep, asked someone to do something around the house, and could have done it myself - got a shock when the cost came in at 100,000 per hour plus materials plus petrol!!! Another stupid bule who thought that might be the cost all up!

Now, got to deal with this person on a day to day basis due to the fact they are employed by someone who employs them to work with me. any suggestions as I can see they think I am the easiest touch in the world!

So, I know you all know, but am repeating well given advice : agree on the price in advance!!!

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Just be honest with this guy - say that you respect him and the work he has done for you (true or not doesn't matter) but that you can find good workers easily who work for 100.000 - 150.000 Rupiah a day (I don't know how specific his work was), so say "saya malu tapi...anda adalah terlalu mahal" (I'm ashamed but....you're too expensive), so he must give you a better price (saya tidak suka harga bule - I don't like to pay tourist prices) or find someone new if possible

Last edited:

Annam

Oct 6, 2011
kerobokan
greatly appreciated as I don't want to disrespect. well, it wasn't specific, in fact I am almost embarrassed. It was to cook a couple of Indonesian dishes for me - one on each occasion - for two people. Didn't take more than an hour.

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
greatly appreciated as I don't want to disrespect. well, it wasn't specific, in fact I am almost embarrassed. It was to cook a couple of Indonesian dishes for me - one on each occasion - for two people. Didn't take more than an hour.

Getting food at the warung is cheaper!

Annam

Oct 6, 2011
kerobokan
laughing - completely agree with that Hermit! I won't even tell you what I paid for the ingredients. My mistake is that I thought the person was just offering to do it!!!!! And she joined us to eat! Live and learn!

sugarbear

Mar 4, 2011
We all make mistakes, sakumabali is giving you great advise!! And now I'm sure this will never happen to you in the future. Consider it a less learned and a mistake not to be repeated. I said this before, buyer beware! Especially on Bali.

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
the most of the cooking classes for a few hours in Bali charge minimun around 25$ and you have to share the cook with another probably 10 people more and people pay for a yoga class 120.000 rp, I guess maximun 1:30 minutes, again with another 10 or 20 people more!!!

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
do you really feel bad to pay somebody who cook for you 10$? did she buy the ingredients or you bought them?
I guess if she bought the ingredients probably took her around one hour to go and back to the market from her place...........

Annam

Oct 6, 2011
kerobokan
do you really feel bad to pay somebody who cook for you 10$? did she buy the ingredients or you bought them?
I guess if she bought the ingredients probably took her around one hour to go and back to the market from her place...........

I hear what you are saying, and I did pay her, but it is not a relationship that I wish to continue and now I know how to extricate myself thanks to sakumabali . I am in another financial relationship with this person which is working just fine.

I think I should really say that I was just sharing as a member of the forum with some 'age old' advice that probably I am the only dumb one not to remember : "settle on a price first". And a further reminder that if you accept something, just check that whether it is intended to be an 'offer' or it is intended to be a paid deal. The whole thing was a big misunderstanding on my part, that is what I 'feel bad' about and I certainly paid the money as soon as I was asked.

AjnaInWater

May 21, 2012
It seems that when ever we trust someone, and have the feeling that the world around is as equal as it is in our perception, someone takes an advantage of us. Sometimes; give trust and be kicked.

As Jesus said: "If you get slapped in the face, allow your other cheek to be slapped as well."

freddie

May 22, 2012
Nice share, Annam.
It IS important to agree on the price in advance. And these things happen to foreigners and indonesians too.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Agree that it's a good lesson. These misunderstandings happen in many places and cultures, not just Indonesia.

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Face smaking

It seems that when ever we trust someone, and have the feeling that the world around is as equal as it is in our perception, someone takes an advantage of us. Sometimes; give trust and be kicked.

As Jesus said: "If you get slapped in the face, allow your other cheek to be slapped as well."

i think it was quoted , as turn the other cheek, not get slapped in the face...uhmm

Mark

Apr 19, 2004

Definitely not correct, but an interesting interpretation... So, if you turn the other cheek, are you expecting a smooch?

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Ha ha... no, not who I was suggesting, but good one scout!

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
I almost had the same experience last month.
I needed to cut down a tree in my project and I didn't have the heart to ask the workers to do it manually, so my maid offer her husband's service since they can borrow a chain saw, when I ask her how much she predicted 500 ribu.

So the husband go to the project site with a chain saw, just before he start, one of the workers ask him how much money he would get and he replied happily 5 juta! I instantly called it off and stated I'd rather pay the workers extra or rent a chainsaw myself.

Close call

Last edited: