spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
With the new investment laws allowing foreign investment into toll roads, maybe this plan will have a better chance of getting finished.

tol-bali_20160215_094907-jpg.2670

attachment.php

Bentuk Tol Denpasar-Buleleng Seperti Huruf Y - Tribun Bali

Last edited by a moderator:

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Having heard these rumors for years there was little to be excited about any new revelations, however when this thing about a toll road first broke it had a ring of authenticity.
For one the named contractor was the firm that had completed toll roads in Jawa. The other reality is that this apparently had the endorsement of the powers on high in Jakarta, rather than the speculation mongering BS...... that appears in Bali.
Finally the pot boiling over in South Bali requires some sort of exodus that only a quicker, safer route would provide. The need for expansion is obvious to the newest sober tourist; and no, I don't have property for sale.
Lately the news (to my awareness) has been rather muted. Anything of any validity would be interesting to learn, so please reveal all!

davita

Mar 13, 2012
The whole Indonesian concept of infrastructure needs revamping with foreign technical assistance. Freight transport is the main concern.....not how 'self appointed' VIPs or Harley M/C clubs flaunt their importance.

The High Speed line between Jakarta and Bandung is a typical flawed concept...unless freight can be transported it will be an expensive white elephant .....much like the Mandara Toll and the airport in Lombok.

Over 90% of product in Bali is trucked across the Banyuwangi-Gillimanuk ferry.
A high-speed train from Jakarta(Priok)-Semarang-Surabaya-(and ultimately) Banyuwangi and a bridge/tunnel to Gillimanuk and onto Denpaser makes much more sense. This would need to carry freight as well as cars/motor bikes that can be off-loaded at those city hubs...to join local traffic. Much like the Channel tunnel does.

Alternately Bali needs a deep water port so large cargo/cruise ships can discharge and provide for the economy. I note they will soon anchor a huge LPG floating tank in Benoa to fire the Sanur generators...wouldn't want to live near that fire bomb!!!

The same infrastructure programs are needed for other islands in the archipelago...I've been to Ambon and the bay there could be a gorgeous cargo/cruise ship destination and provide employment for those youths who otherwise have little work potential.

Building this elevated road along Bali's southern beach will be an aesthetic disaster for the island. Many other smaller projects should be researched i.e. separate motor cycle lanes....and the police need to enforce traffic laws to prevent the chaos that currently exists. The Japanese could surely teach Indonesia how to control traffic. Tokyo is much more congested but, because they have order and enforcement, traffic flow is controlled.

Last edited:

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Sorry Davita, can't agree. If this gets bogged down in "what is best" controversy nothing ever will be achieved. A good example is what happened in Seattle where rapid transit has been debated for years and still isn't accomplished whereas your former home in Vancouver has had a monorail success for many years.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Sorry Davita, can't agree. If this gets bogged down in "what is best" controversy nothing ever will be achieved. A good example is what happened in Seattle where rapid transit has been debated for years and still isn't accomplished whereas your former home in Vancouver has had a monorail success for many years.

You may be right mugwump but to get a Seattleite American out of his car is like trying to get meat out of a lobster.
Meanwhile, the area around Chandlers Cove (Amazon.com) is a delight and the 520 new crossing to Kirkland is almost complete. Seattle has a fantastic arena and many other projects complete.
I don't think Seattle cares much for mass transit.
I take your point about procrastination but everytime I see a project like the Mandara Toll and now the possible filling of the Benoa swamp...I just think someone is making money with no direct benefit to the community.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
As ever it seems to be difficult to maintain focus here, and I am probably guilty for creating an analogy. The greater crime is to do nothing than to pursue a project that may or may not achieve perfection. The ring roads in Yogya and Solo seem to have been successful in providing a deviation from the dense mid-city congestion. It would seem to be applicable in South Bali. Just don't ask where? I am no engineer.