Blacky

May 30, 2016
Hi All
Well this is my first post.

We are another family of expats on the move to Bali.
Unlike many of the threads I have read we aren't coming over here with the intention/plan/idea of starting a business. Nor will we be selling anything to move here. We also won't be working here. Or buying a house.

So - what are we doing?
Well we have been living the 'expat' life for a number of years in various countries around the world. I am (originally) Australian. Though haven't lived there for about 10years. My wife is Russian. We have 2 sons (18months and 16yo).

We have recently come to Bali and secured ourselves a modest villa in Sanur for the next 12months. We are currently sorting out everything else (schools, banking, insurance etc). Still need to figure out transport but are happy to be renting a car/bike for the time being (bike is a bit hard with the little guy). But may buy a 'cheapy' car once we figure out how to 'own' it.

My wife and youngest son will be on a social visa (in process) and the older son is getting a Kitas through the school (also in process).

So while Bali is new to us living and moving to developing countries isn't. Im sure there are 'peculiarities' with Bali/Indo which we will have to find a way to overcome - but thats nothing new.

Ive already learnt that Bali may be a cheap holiday for the Australian Bogan, but its not overly cheap to live here with all the 'unseen' costs. I also hope the schools are worth the money (are they ever?).

Our plan is to be here for a couple of years (get the big one through year 12) and then see. Maybe (finally) move to 'the west' in time for the little guy to start school.

Anyway - Im sure I will have a lot of questions - hopefully not stupid ones.
We look forward to settling down and meeting a whole bunch of new people.

Blacky

Reactions: McAdoo

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hi All
Well this is my first post.
Welcome to the forum and Bali, good luck - you've made the best first move in coming to the Balipod for info.
We are another family of expats on the move to Bali.
Unlike many of the threads I have read we aren't coming over here with the intention/plan/idea of starting a business. Nor will we be selling anything to move here. We also won't be working here. Or buying a house.

So - what are we doing?
Well we have been living the 'expat' life for a number of years in various countries around the world. I am (originally) Australian. Though haven't lived there for about 10years. My wife is Russian. We have 2 sons (18months and 16yo). There's already a large Russian expat community spread pretty evenly around the island.

We have recently come to Bali and secured ourselves a modest villa in Sanur for the next 12months. We are currently sorting out everything else (schools, banking, insurance etc). Still need to figure out transport but are happy to be renting a car/bike for the time being (bike is a bit hard with the little guy). But may buy a 'cheapy' car once we figure out how to 'own' it. You can "own" any used car outright or any new car as long as you "buy" it from your good Balinese "friend" ie get him to buy it first in his name and then the next day sell it to you as used. For long term car rental call my friend Mr. Muka (Renon) 0812 391 9682 say hi from Mr. Mark

My wife and youngest son will be on a social visa (in process) and the older son is getting a Kitas through the school (also in process). You're here illegally I take it?

So while Bali is new to us living and moving to developing countries isn't. Im sure there are 'peculiarities' with Bali/Indo which we will have to find a way to overcome - but thats nothing new. Remember saying this in 6 months.

Ive already learnt that Bali may be a cheap holiday for the Australian Bogan, but its not overly cheap to live here with all the 'unseen' costs. I also hope the schools are worth the money (are they ever?). Schools are worth the money if child still remembers it fondly in 10 years or gets a Dr. before his/her name. Living here can be cheap if you conform to the local ways and means - if you continue living the western lifestyle and shopping in western stores then you will pay western prices.

Our plan is to be here for a couple of years (get the big one through year 12) and then see. Maybe (finally) move to 'the west' in time for the little guy to start school. It's an astonishingly hard place to leave - witness the number of penniless expats that still won't go home.

Anyway - Im sure I will have a lot of questions - hopefully not stupid ones.
We look forward to settling down and meeting a whole bunch of new people.

Blacky

Welcome to Bali

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Welcome Blacky, welcome. You seem to have things under control and I wish you well. You say
Ive already learnt that Bali may be a cheap holiday for the Australian Bogan, but its not overly cheap to live here with all the 'unseen' costs. I also hope the schools are worth the money (are they ever?).
I like your observation on Bogan life but don't really agree that "unseen" costs are making life expensive.. For sure, for those of using retirement visas we are paying around 7 million (half a motorbike) every year. But for me (with no schools to worry about) there is not much more. So owning/renting a home and operating a motor vehicle, the 2 biggest expenses back home in Aust, are less expensive here. Then comes food, clothes, enterntainment - all cheaper.

But I know, you have to find schools are they do seem high priced.

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
68612767.jpg

Blacky

May 30, 2016
Hi Markit - thanks. Having read through a lot of the forum I must say I think that's been the warmest welcome I've seen you post :)
I won't be here illigally (obviously).unfortunatly I'm still a few years too young to fully retire - so I will continue working (not in Bali). Given I work a 28/28 rotation I will enter on a free VOA. I'll never stay more than 30 days.

We have been here 3weeks now and have been trying to find the 'local' markets.
In Sanur there is the 'fish market' which when we visited there wasn't a huge selection of seafood but did have some nice fresh produce.
We ventured off to find carrefour which is handy for most boyhood goods. Though the supermarket dis appear expensive (though a good range of quality fresh produce).
Lotte mart could also come I handy.
Any others worth checking?

I'll contact Mr Muka to see what he has available. Thanks.

RonB I guess having to fork out 12months rent up front, plus pay for the move, plus buy a car/bikes plus fit out the house, plus visas, plus plus plus maybe it's just feeling expensive as my bank account is getting hammered every day.

We called into several banks today. None of them wanted to know us without a Kitas. We had success at Commonweath of Australia as I have accounts in oz. so just need a reference letter from them. So looks like that will be another boxed ticked.

We need to find someone who can install a fence for us. Any ideas from the forum brains trust?

Cheers all. Looking forward to being a part of the online and real world community

Blacky

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hi Markit - thanks. Having read through a lot of the forum I must say I think that's been the warmest welcome I've seen you post :) I had a beer free day, after 2 I start petting old ladies and helping dogs cross the road.
I won't be here illigally (obviously).unfortunatly I'm still a few years too young to fully retire - so I will continue working (not in Bali). Given I work a 28/28 rotation I will enter on a free VOA. I'll never stay more than 30 days.

We have been here 3weeks now and have been trying to find the 'local' markets. You'll find most other expats haven't a clue either where they are as they only go to Bali when they absolutely have to or when Carrefour is closed.
In Sanur there is the 'fish market' which when we visited there wasn't a huge selection of seafood but did have some nice fresh produce. There's a large local market by the the cinema off the and there are more all around - ask the locals they know - for fish there's a few around or you may have to go a few clicks towards the east - again ask the locals.
We ventured off to find carrefour which is handy for most boyhood goods. Though the supermarket dis appear expensive (though a good range of quality fresh produce).
Lotte mart could also come I handy. Lotte is also expensive I find - Hardys is cheaper here in Amlapura or Gianyar for most things, Hardy's Sanur also stupid expensive as deals mostly with tourists. Basically if you see tourists there just keep on going.
Any others worth checking?

I'll contact Mr Muka to see what he has available. Thanks.

RonB I guess having to fork out 12months rent up front, plus pay for the move, plus buy a car/bikes plus fit out the house, plus visas, plus plus plus maybe it's just feeling expensive as my bank account is getting hammered every day. Welcome to "cheap" Asia - startups suck, it's all pay, pay, pay and endless - been there, done that. lots. Tip: check out FB Bali Second Hand - scarily for the newcomer there's often other newcomers that haven't managed the cut and are selling just the stuff you need nearly unused and heading (tail well tucked) home again.

We called into several banks today. None of them wanted to know us without a Kitas.BNI will open an account for you if you have an existing customer "introduce" you, without Kitas. They are also good with online banking and debit cards/ATMs

We had success at Commonweath of Australia as I have accounts in oz. so just need a reference letter from them. So looks like that will be another boxed ticked.

We need to find someone who can install a fence for us. Any ideas from the forum brains trust? For the mini-you? Do the tour of local builders suppliers (not the big retailers, just the local businesses) and you can get premaid split bamboo fencing enough to keep him/she/it out of trouble until it learns climbing.

Cheers all. Looking forward to being a part of the online and real world community Throw a fondue evening with beer and Oz cheeses and I know 10 weirdos that will turn up.

Blacky

tamaraofarabia

Jul 10, 2013
Dubai UAE
Hi Blacky,

How's the move going so far? Would love to hear an update , especially the Commonwealth bank setup . Did the reference letter from home do the trick in opening an account in Bali?

Blacky

May 30, 2016
Hey Tamaraofarabia
Move is going well. We sent a package with all our stuff which left yesterday.
Mrs Blacky and Jnr Blacky fly tomorrow, via Russia. They land on the 2nd. I arrive a few days later.
We had to do a bit of paper work to get the CBA letter. Hopefully it's sufficient - will only find out when we arrive in July.
House is sorted.
Car - at least initially - will be provided my Makits friend Mr Muka.
Visas - sorted. We used an agency which cost us twice as much, but as its our first we went for the easy option rather than the cheap one. We may review this next time but it's not s huge cost.
House is sorted. We realised after taking the 12month lease we should have negotiated the cost. Too late for this year.
We will look to buy a couple of motor bikes when I arrive.
School (I think the most expensive one on the island) is sorted.

What else?
Ahh fence to keep Jnr Blacky away from the pool. In progress but it's hard to arrange when not there.

I think everything else will just keep slowly getting added to the list and then ticked off (or not).

Next step will be to start establishing ourselves and reaching out to meet a few ppl.

Blacky

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Muka is a good choice and if you have any problems, no matter how small, call him or his son and they will sort it. If you decided to live in or near Sanur he can be a big help with getting started there too - he lives in Renon, just around the corner.

Good luck and start the way you mean to carry on...!

modelt1826

Apr 25, 2010
Wilverhampton UK
Theres a new supermarket opened in Sanur close to Hardys turn left out of hardys 500m on the same side of the road called Popular and i found that some of the prices are very keen.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
... and i found that some of the prices are very keen...
Maybe they're promo prices to suck you in.

There already is a Popular on Jalan Hayam Wuruk, not far from Sanur. I've been there a couple of times but never again.
I think it's an offshoot of Pepito - same colour scheme and lots of Pepito-branded products, many over-priced.
One example: a fairly ordinary Australian cheese (Bega Extra Tasty) costs about Rp 50,000 at The Pantry (in Sanur). The same one costs Rp 80,000+ at Popular.
It does have some items that can be hard to find in other places (bottled Indian curries, pickles, etc) - also expensive.

I don't think that the new outlet in Sanur will last very long. Look at what happened to the Bali Deli supermarket - fairly well-stocked, most things over-priced and located on the second floor.
Many people didn't know it was even there.

Hardy's in Sanur has been revamping itself but prices are typically higher than at other Hardy's outlets outside of tourist/expat enclaves.
So - by all means check out Sanur Popular for yourself. You've been warned.

Blacky

May 30, 2016
Im sure there are 'peculiarities' with Bali/Indo which we will have to find a way to overcome - but thats nothing new.

I new things were going to easy.

First hurdle (and we haven't even arrived yet) is that in order to receive the items we shipped, we need a KITAS (thanks for letting us know Mr Shipping/customs agent).

Anyone know what options we have? Apparently we can't 'import' our personal belongings without a KITAS (I'm quickly learning you can't do ANYTHING without one of these things).

Blacky

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I believe you cannot import those personal items 'free of duty and taxes' without a Kitas.

I shipped a 20+ year old dinner service (wedding present) from Canada. We both have Kitas and 'Customs' still charged us as we didn't keep our boarding passes to show when we arrived.

Welcome to Indonesia...?

Last edited:

Blacky

May 30, 2016
Thanks Davita
I'll see hoe much the 'duty and taxes'. Hopefully not excessive.

Blacky

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks Davita
I'll see hoe much the 'duty and taxes'. Hopefully not excessive.

Blacky

I'd suggest shipping to your door in Indonesia. That was our mistake, we went to the airport to collect and was at the mercy of their organisation. I could have fought them as we were in compliance with law but...in the end... in Indonesia....it's part of life.
We probably now own the most expensive bone china dinner service in the world.... so we make sure our guests know what luxurious plates they are eating their nasi goreng from...:icon_razz:

Blacky

May 30, 2016
We have neuter at this point. So that's no help.

We have heard that we MAY be able to bring it in if we pay the tax. Working it now to see how much this is.
Otherwise we will send it all to oz.

Blacky

davita

Mar 13, 2012
We have neuter at this point. So that's no help.

We have heard that we MAY be able to bring it in if we pay the tax. Working it now to see how much this is.
Otherwise we will send it all to oz. Blacky

Markit's post, concerning duty and tax free allowance, is correct...I'd forgotten.

My experience over a 20 year old dinner service of under US$1,000 value, which is acceptable for any family entering RI, is only my reminder that it matters not what Indonesian law, and what puffed up men in uniform interpret as law, say, it is suffice to understand that bringing anything into Indonesia, even legally....will find ways to screw foreigners.
My suggestion is to use an agent who understands the game.