Blacky

May 30, 2016
Absolutely we are using an agent.

The company we shipped our stuff out with is doing a door to door.
They have sourced ktsprima to handle the Indo customs side of things.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I would suggest that you use an Oz (presuming you are coming from there) moving company that has experience doing the Indo move and they will know what is what - will be expensive as hell!

Blacky

May 30, 2016
Nah. We are not coming from oz.

Turns out there is no possibility to do it (at least that we can find - and that remains fully clear).

So we are abondoning the attempt and will ship it to Australia. Pick it up from there (at least some of it) when we are there in October. Just means doubling the cost of everything.

I knew this wouldn't be easy.

Blacky

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
You can only import your personal good if you have a working Kitas NOT with a retirement Kitas.

That was not my experience. I imported personal effects while still on sosbud, but on the basis that I was already in process towards a retirement KITAS. This was early 2007 - not sure what changes there have been since.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
That was not my experience. I imported personal effects while still on sosbud, but on the basis that I was already in process towards a retirement KITAS. This was early 2007 - not sure what changes there have been since.

Good point - I was on the Social visa going for the Kitas and questioned the movers in UK (big international company) who said "no problem bring what you want", then questioned the Indo embassy and learned it was different from them - upon pointing this discrepancy out to the movers they back-pedaled and then agreed. Course if they had been wrong and moved my stuff anyway it wouldn't have been any trouble to them would it had I had to pay a feck-load at the Indo immi side to get my goodies?

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I cleared it with the Indonesian Consulate in Sydney before leaving. Had an inventory (moderately accurate) of what was being shipped and they stamped every page. It was air freight to Denpasar and Customs looked at the inventory and the boxes but did not open them. We had an agent we had just found in Bali and she did a good job liaising with Customs and then helping us get a truck to shift it to Lovina on an evening with thunderstorms - so someone went on a motorbike to get a big blue tarp. What we brought was 2000 Kg of books records tools crockery, kitchen stuff, etc. It was costing (at that time) about $1 per Kilo to ship, so we kept that in mind as we decided what to take.

If I was doing it again now, I would only bring a small fraction of that stuff.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
You could now get those thousands of books on a medium sized USB key or Kindle and the only other stuff you need bring is anything with sentimental value bearing in mind lots of things rot quickly in the tropics like leather and paper, to name just 2.

The rest you can get here.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Yes I now have over 15,000 e-books but large format art books and the like have not really transitioned to epub yet.

Blacky

May 30, 2016
Ok
We've been here about a month now and getting pretty well settled.
None of our stuff could be brought in so we gave up on that and just bought what we need.
We have rented a car for the long term. An older model Hyundai Xenia (same/similar to the Toyota) (3,2juta/month). Suits us fine.
We bought a second hand bike for about 9juta. Turns out you can buy new bikes any more either without Kitap.

Everything is pretty much as expected really.
Starting to get involved in community activities to meet a few folks.

Blacky

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Be careful with that community stuff,depending on what you`r doing,,sometimes they consider it as volunteering,,which is also not allowed,

Good luck,and enjoy you`r stay