danny8

Mar 31, 2012
We are Joglo factory house from Yogyakarta, really need an opinion bout our plan to open our branch in Bali, better if we open a branch in Bali include with factory or just open a showroom in Bali (factory still in Java)?
Txs

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
Depends what you mean by a 'show-room':-
My view, may not be other people's view, if you mean a shop-front office with photographs, I don't think so - you can do that online on the internet much cheaper.

If you mean to actually build a joglo as a real example of the type & quality of work, then yes, I'd say do it..... of course that's going to be expensive, land etc. But you can always sell it, move it to the customer's location & put up another

People do like to actually see what they're getting when buying a house

danny8

Mar 31, 2012
yes, i am also thinking like that, must have land to show our joglo (not just pic), i am thinking to rent land 5-15 are just 2-3years for the first time, and see the market. sorry to ask again, our market in java is limited market, cause we only build special joglo (ex: one of our customer in jakarta asking for bullet proof joglo), we only make high quality joglo, really really need your opinion about high quality joglo market in bali?many txs

danny8

Mar 31, 2012
Txs for your information, hope not bothering anyone, is it possible to rent land 5-15 are around sanur or kerobokan, 2-3years, with budget 2-3mill/are/year?

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
make a visit to ambengan, loads of joglo to see and buy there.
I very much like the idea of living in a Joglo, can you state a rough price range for those you've seen in the area? We may be acquiring land near Amed which seem close...

And to the OP do you have any pictures or other information about your products?

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
around sanur, 2/3million rupiah per are per year...even on top of 'my' mountain (rural Bali) you cant rent land at those prices.

sherm...depends alot on size and "hiasan" (decorations)

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I don't think you need a showroom in Bali, at least for the beginning. Get a good website going that shows your product in detail, along with the prices. AirAsia just launched Denpasar-Yogya flights you could offer to fly prospective clients to your factory and I am sure it would still work out cheaper than setting up a showroom in Bali with staff and all of the other costs.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
I don't think you need a showroom in Bali, at least for the beginning. Get a good website going that shows your product in detail, along with the prices. AirAsia just launched Denpasar-Yogya flights you could offer to fly prospective clients to your factory and I am sure it would still work out cheaper than setting up a showroom in Bali with staff and all of the other costs.

Good idea! You would not even have to spend the night in Yogya. You can leave early morning and return in the evening. Long day though. Maybe you could include a free night stay in your Joglo or charge a nominal fee for a one night stay and promise to discount this amount if that person buys the Joglo.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Txs for your information, hope not bothering anyone, is it possible to rent land 5-15 are around sanur or kerobokan, 2-3years, with budget 2-3mill/are/year?
In Kerobokan, you will be looking at 5 to 8 million per are/per year (depending on proximity to main roads)

On Sunset Road, maybe 7 to 9 million per are/ per year.

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
Good idea! You would not even have to spend the night in Yogya. You can leave early morning and return in the evening. Long day though. Maybe you could include a free night stay in your Joglo or charge a nominal fee for a one night stay and promise to discount this amount if that person buys the Joglo.

He must have some type of 'vetting' or 'deposit' system to identify REAL potential customers, or I think this could quickly become a free trip to Yogya :devilish:

Seriously though:
1. I'm assuming the OP is Indonesian & may be able to cut better land deals than the average bule
2. There is no reason he needs to be in the thick of things in Sanur, Denpasar etc - if he has good quality at the right price people will travel to him - within 2-3 hours .... even up Gil's mountain :)

Last edited:

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
joglo shipping cost

We are Joglo factory house from Yogyakarta, really need an opinion bout our plan to open our branch in Bali, better if we open a branch in Bali include with factory or just open a showroom in Bali (factory still in Java)?
Txs
If you are selling in Bali consider a factory here on cheap land. Although there may be reasons for not doing so here are a couple reasons to consider:
1. Shipping from Java to Bali would be expensive even with knock-down joglos. I have done it and know.
2. Assuming that many of your customers would be foreigners if they buy for use here it costs less to deliver from here.
3. If the customers are foreigners and wish to ship from Indonesia they will be shipping from Surabaya, not Bali. All shipping is done from Surabaya which means having a container trucked here and loaded then trucked back to Surabaya. Expensive; have done it and know.
Good Luck

danny8

Mar 31, 2012
I think coz u're a foreigner so u can't get the real price, i can imagine..coz my friend just rent a land in kerobokan only for 5mill/are/year, mine maybe cheaper coz just temporary, last time i already asking people who sale flower around sanur, they rent only for 2-3mill/are. txs anyway

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Just a couple of ideas from my part:

1. if you sell your joglos here in bali for the same price as in java (slightly more of course as the transport and the surat is included) why have a showroom? A good website & iklan will do fine.
2. if you sell your joglos here in bali for the same price as the other golddiggers, the harga bule crap your customers will continue buy in Java....so why have a showroom?

I would do a combination of both (as mentioned here before and above), I'd keep the factory in Java (!), maybe do a deal with a landlord à la "I borrow your land for six month and if I sell the house you get this much", so you can get a better location (shortterm), not so much commitments and the best, you can check the market

Good luck!

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
Can't disagree more than with mugwump and agree with sakumabali

mugwump:
Why would danny
1. find & rent a factory (land land or building)
2. hire & train workers (not a 1-week job)
3. import the timber - for sure he would have to do that
4. start building joglos & hope to sell them

when:
a. he hasn't actually sold one
b. he already has a factory, staff & presumably timber supply in Yogya

sakumabali's idea is better:
get a good website
sell at the same price as in Java
add shipping & transport costs as extra (so the customer can see the house isn't xx% higher than in Java & doesn't feel you're trying to cheat him)
buy something (anything) in Bali, fill the containers for the return trip & sell it back home
MAKE SURE you use teak that can be certified as 'reclaimed' or 'sustainable' foreigners prefer to have the paperwork & know they're not destroying rainforest.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Try to know before advising

Can't disagree more than with mugwump and agree with sakumabali

mugwump:
Why would danny
1. find & rent a factory (land land or building)
2. hire & train workers (not a 1-week job)
3. import the timber - for sure he would have to do that
4. start building joglos & hope to sell them

when:
a. he hasn't actually sold one
b. he already has a factory, staff & presumably timber supply in Yogya

sakumabali's idea is better:
get a good website
sell at the same price as in Java
add shipping & transport costs as extra (so the customer can see the house isn't xx% higher than in Java & doesn't feel you're trying to cheat him)
buy something (anything) in Bali, fill the containers for the return trip & sell it back home
MAKE SURE you use teak that can be certified as 'reclaimed' or 'sustainable' foreigners prefer to have the paperwork & know they're not destroying rainforest.

Answers to what is mentioned above:
1.Shipping cost differential vs. renting cheap land here.
2.The workers will come from Java. Danny knows that. If you ever build a house here you will learn that.
3.Timber (jati) is grown in Java. The old recycled wood is used usually as young teak has problems.
4.The factory would remain in Java till the sale of joglos would justify the move.
It is probably hard to know this stuff when you still live in Singapore, but it is difficult for people to get accurate information from those that don't have the experience.