samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Rental cars, preferably 4wd type, but not absolutely necessary....how much these cost out of Jakarta and can you do one way stuff, like drop off at that port on the east coast to Bali ?

And....is transport easily arranged from that port on the Bali west coast...down to canggu ok ?

So many questions....so little time.

Need a damn good downloadable map system for my tablet before I get there.....

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Rental cars, preferably 4wd type, but not absolutely necessary....how much these cost out of Jakarta and can you do one way stuff, like drop off at that port on the east coast to Bali ?

And....is transport easily arranged from that port on the Bali west coast...down to canggu ok ?
So many questions....so little time.
Need a damn good downloadable map system for my tablet before I get there.....

samsiam...the simple way to get from Jakarta to Bali is by air, cost less than US$70/person. The simple way to get from Bali airport to Canggu is by taxi, cost less than US$10.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
You adventurer you.

I am an adventurer Samsiam...but I keep it real. If you had lived here for a while I could recommend a number of ways to see Java etc. but suggest settling down first. Your bahasa Indonesia would then come in useful

btw...in 2 weeks we will take a trip ourselves..... Gillamanuk by ferry to Banyuwangi then by train to Surabaya. A few days there then back to Lawang/Malang to visit in-laws etc.
While in Lawang we will have a family pow-wow to arrange another trip, later this year, to the family origin in the Molukas/Ambon. I'll be looking for the inheritance I was promised, 27 years ago, by marrying the youngest girl in the family...I hope it's a castle!:icon_wink:

Haven't yet figured how to return but have Visa and Mastercard. However, I'm a little apprehensive as I heard that in the Mokukas they 'makan bule' and apparently Scotsmen are considered very delicious, as the meat is more tender than an Orangutan.:lemo:

See how adventurous I am.:cupcake::indecisiveness:

Last edited:

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Samsaim if thi is just to bring the family here to Bali from Thialand,Why not to KL have a 2-3 stay in airport on on to Bali ? Air Asia usually has a few great deals.

note to Davita.. NoI not promoting Air Asia ............................................................... yet lol

davita

Mar 13, 2012
note to Davita.. NoI not promoting Air Asia ............................................................... yet lol

Aaww come on smoke....don't be bashful, humble and modestly shy...I've heard you're on Air Asia's member list as a 'BIG SHOT'....:distant::icon_e_biggrin:

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Welll...it is kinda on the way to Bali from here...but, it has a couple of good reasons.

Firstly, but not for surely yet....if we bring our little dog, we must bring her through Jakarta...so there is Bangkok to Jakarta flights required.....and then we thought to drive up to the north west coast and checkout Krakatoa...then down to Pangadangadan....or however it is spelt and great little surf spot there for a few days, then across to the east coast and over to Bali.

This may not be all required if the dogs not coming with us, then it'll be straight to Bali from Bkk.

But...wondering if I can sneak the dog in meself !!!......I do not have the guts to tell my darling she cannot bring her best friend with her.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
ah Davita who leaked that i did over 10,000 air miles in under a year .. multi entrys are awesome !
next month hong kong for 5 days

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Samsaim if you going to try to sneek in your blind dog .Think outside the box (of Jokarata lol) maybe a ferry from SG or Malaysia..

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Samsiam...I'm with smoke on this.
I don't think you will be able to legally bring your dog to Jakarta either as Thailand is not on the list as a rabies-free area.
When you hear about others using 'groovy pets' etc they are talking about quarantine (14 days I think) of pets from accepted/listed countries.
Better check before making the move.

btw I'm very empathetic to your dilemma. We immigrated to Canada from Hong Kong with our Pomeranium and, if he was not allowed in, we would not be Canadians today. He lived till age 14 and died in Arizona...we still have his remains in a small cask which we take everywhere.

Last edited:

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
They do state this on their website and a few professional outfits, one based in Canggu....have given prices and confirmed it can be done..

Pets from NON Rabies Free Country are allowed to be imported into Indonesia as long as have got an Import permit from the Government of Indonesia. For more details please email us at groovycs@rad.net.id.

I started to bring the subject up with the little girl tonight and water works immediately...she is not a spoilt kid, no way, she just loves her dog.

Are you saying that Java is rabies free ??...I find that very hard to believe.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Samsiam...I have no further knowledge, on this subject, to offer....good luck in your adventure and enterprise.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
No Java isn't rabies free - I presume that's why it's still possible to bring dogs in. Where it gets surreal is that Bali isn't rabies free either but the authorities (I use the term lightly) would really like it to be. That's why they forbid us bringing in dogs that are certified rabies free from, for instance, England or Germany into Bali that is certified to have Rabies.

Makes perfect sense to me but I've been here a while too...

Tell the daughter that she can have a Balinese boyfriend when she gets here - they don't smell as bad, tend not to bite much and are relatively well house trained.

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
Autocar and TRAC do Airport to Airport and City Centre rentals, but I'm telling you now it is bastard of a drive especially with kids. There are vast stretches of bad road and even more with no scenery to keep everyone amused. You will need eyes in the back of your head every minute of the journey and no distractions at all.
If you do decide to try it, here is even further advice regarding the road from Surabaya to the Java/Bali ferry terminal at Banyuwangi. Before leaving Surabaya take your whole family into the bathroom in the hotel and let them have a good look at the toilet facilities, because it will be the last decent ones they see for quite some time.
There is one decent hotel on the whole route, it's just past Paiton and before Pasir Putih...but the last time we were there they'd had no electricity for three days and all of the sewage system was backed up.

Bon Voyage!

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Autocar and TRAC do Airport to Airport and City Centre rentals, but I'm telling you now it is bastard of a drive especially with kids. There are vast stretches of bad road and even more with no scenery to keep everyone amused. You will need eyes in the back of your head every minute of the journey and no distractions at all.
If you do decide to try it, here is even further advice regarding the road from Surabaya to the Java/Bali ferry terminal at Banyuwangi. Before leaving Surabaya take your whole family into the bathroom in the hotel and let them have a good look at the toilet facilities, because it will be the last decent ones they see for quite some time.
There is one decent hotel on the whole route, it's just past Paiton and before Pasir Putih...but the last time we were there they'd had no electricity for three days and all of the sewage system was backed up.Bon Voyage!

On 13 May we planned to travel the reverse of the above trip by car....and we have a driver who hails from East Java....but I heard the same story as above about the lack of decent rooms between Banyuwangi and Surabaya and think it too far to do in one day. So have now decided to take the train from Banyuwangi and send our car/driver ahead a day early to pick us up in Surabaya. I heard the train route scenery is superior...maybe I'll comment about the trip on another thread.

Joe's explanation of the route is the same that I've heard from numerous other sources.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
The train ride is great, particularly the section from Kotabaru to Jember. Executive class is great. On one ride they were bringing Bintangs - another time they seemed to not exist. Who knows what gives today, but still a great ride with or without Bintangs. But I don't believe that you cannot find accommodation along the road. For example, look at Hotel Lava Lava Probolinggo, Indonesia: Agoda.com and use agoda or booking.com to find others.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
The train ride is great, particularly the section from Kotabaru to Jember. Executive class is great. On one ride they were bringing Bintangs - another time they seemed to not exist. Who knows what gives today, but still a great ride with or without Bintangs. But I don't believe that you cannot find accommodation along the road. For example, look at Hotel Lava Lava Probolinggo, Indonesia: Agoda.com and use agoda or booking.com to find others.

Thanks ronb I'll keep that in mind for the return trip which isn't yet planned. I also use Agoda a lot and the points are paying for our night in Ketapang Indah in Banyuwangi.

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
The train ride from Banyuwangi to Surabaya is magnificent through some stunning scenery, the service on the train itself is excellent. Jember Station is a hark back to the style of old British Rail Stations when the Master and his staff took pride in their place of work, spotless, brightly painted, house plant pots full of flowers and shrubs. The last ten percent of the ride into Surabaya though is on the North Coast of East Java and rapidly deteriorates into industrial estates and spillover accommodation from the city.

For the truly adventurous there are side rail trips leaving from stations en route, one in particular is a 'Sugar Cane' run from Jember to Situbondo passing through Bondowoso, the highest point is just outside that town passing over a point posted as '3000 mtrs above sea level' it is actually quite chilly there and the air is refreshingly clean and pure. Getting on the train is easy, there are no carriages as such but two or three cargo wagons with no doors and the rest open bed low loader bogies, just find yourself a space, set up a sunshade, and you will need this, pay the 'owner' whatever he thinks you can afford, then settle back for a journey where you will be the centre of attention the whole way, it is a brilliant way to meet thereal East Javanese...and everyone shares their food and drink, it is standard procedure for the Madurese based culture. Getting off is another matter, the train stops twice on the trip, if you wish to disembark anywhere on the way you wait until the train slows on a bend or steep climb and jump off...don't worry about backpacks and luggage, all your new friends will assist making sure your belongings join you...often quite emphatically!

Incidentally Bondowoso has several very acceptable hotels including the Palm Hotel, a sprawling Dutch Art Deco style building with extensive gardens and large swimming pool, the town is steeped in history and the people are very proud of their heritage, it is a perfect base for touring the area.

There is one decent hotel in Situbondo but that may change soon as the oft protracted and just as oft delayed IPPC Refinery Project looks like it will finally be going ahead, I have been following this closely for years now as our family owns a stretch of beach front land close by.

More info if required.

Joe 'Not all bad news but its called reality' Writeson