davita

Mar 13, 2012
I've been an avid reader of the Jakarta Post for many years but, as I commute often between Bali and Jakarta, I've never subscribed to the paper but purchased daily wherever I was staying.

I got shocked when, 4 days ago, the daily price of the JakPost in Bali and Ntt jumped from Rp7,500 to Rp9,500 whilst the rest of RI remained at Rp7,500. That's a gouge of about 27%.

On principle I cancelled my Bali Jakpost and looked to receiving internet news. There I found the Jakarta Post has an email subscription which means I can read it on any computer here in Bali or Jakarta...or anywhere else!

I've just subscribed on a monthly subscription for US$10 (currently Rp135,000) for daily Jakpost, less when not printed during holiday etc. That comes to roughly Rp4,500 per copy.

So far I'm pleased as I see my e-paper as soon as waking up. I don't have to wait for the maid to arrive and it does have a feature to see back copies without needing to fill my cupboard with old papers. There are many features available that I'm still struggling to learn and if anyone has advice....I'd appreciate.:cupcake:

I've posted this info for others who might be as shocked as I was at the new Bali sticker price for the Jakarta Post.

btw The Jakarta Globe has a free e-paper but it is more local news and not much International.

edit: here's a link to Jakarta Post's digital and registration page....
The Jakarta Post

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Ummm I read the Jakpost daily for free

Headlines | The Jakarta Post

But since, as you've often said, I need psychiatric help I'm probably just imagining it...

I also imagine that I occasionally comment on choice items as I am want to do here.

Don't let my meandering stop you from paying though.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
You are only pointing to selected articles and why you are generally so ill-informed. I read the whole paper, cover to cover, then go online to read similar on overseas papers to make comparisons on editorial.

edit: Also, by the time your link is actually put on the internet, it's already yesterday's news.

Last edited:

SusanSydney

Feb 8, 2015
Davita do you have to wade yr way through much advertising?

Only asking because my electronic sub to the Sydney Morning Herald is very close in price, being $Aus15 per month.

But it drives me up the wall because it is wall to wall advertising and often takes ages opening up all sorts of animated or colourful ads which I can't get away from.

if not too much visual pollution the Jakpost sounds tempting - I must say I could never work out why I could only see limited articles when I went to their site! You'd think they'd be quick with a "please subscribe to see full newspaper" button - most papers are (NY Times, London Times etc)

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Re: post #4
Hi Susan
The E-copy of the Jakarta Post is identical to the paper copy. So what advertising is on the paper is also on the internet copy. I don't think it's too much...unlike USA newspapers.

here is the link to digital...The Jakarta Post

click on the front page you see and it will invite you to subscribe to their digital edition and give some payment options.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
A refreshing development happened after I subscribed to digital Jakarta Post. As mentioned above the subscriptions are in USD so I mentioned to Jakpost that RI law now says all internal transactions need to be in IDR.
They replied this morning....'The digital edition is provided by a Canadian company, and therefore since we do not have an office locally (in Jakarta) and the transaction happens between the customer and PressReader, the local currency rule does not apply in this case.'
There's always a first time for everything and this, for me, is the first time I've had a logical and reasonable explanation from any Indonesian.

Also, my bank (HSBC Jakarta), called to confirm it was me that authorised a USD10 withdrawal on my IDR credit card.

Altogether a good and refreshing day and bodes well.