balibule

Feb 6, 2009
I have been trying since several weeks to update my Ipad. It's a 700mb update! I think I have missed some previous updates.

The problem is, whenever I am halfway, the connection crashes and I have to start all over again.

I remember there being a program that downloads and stores what has been downloaded should the connection fail. When the connection returns, it picks-up where it left. I'm not sure if it will work as the download goes through I-Tunes.

Any computer wizards with suggestions?

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I remember there being a program that downloads and stores what has been downloaded should the connection fail. When the connection returns, it picks-up where it left. I'm not sure if it will work as the download goes through I-Tunes.
There are many download managers available (both free and paid-for). Some are stand-alone programmes and others integrate with your web browser. As browsers up-date, some won't work, so it's important to check that the one you want is compatible with your current browser.

For example: I have several different ones. In my Firefox version 7.01 I use DownThemAll.

Have a look at some of these:

DownThemAll!
Best Download Manager - FlashGet
Free Download Manager - absolutely free download accelerator and manager

I don't use iTunes so am not sure if they'll work for you. (You didn't say if your computer is an Apple or Windows-based, or which version.)
If they don't, I suggest you do a Google search for "download managers", and maybe "iTune downloaders".

Hope this helps.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Oops - sorry.

My suggestions above won't help you unless you have iPad software on your computer (if there is such software available).
My Nokia and Blackberry phones do, so it's no giant hassle downloading apps and updates for them.

Apple? I don't know, but I'd be surprised if there isn't similar software available.

:apologetic:

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Thanks Johnny!

I am trying the links you have sent me. I'm using PC and Internet Explorer.

The 700mb update goes through Itunes so I am not sure if the download manager will pick that up.

Fingers crossed

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
The 700mb update goes through Itunes so I am not sure if the download manager will pick that up.
Me, too.

I had a quick look at updating iPad files using iTunes on a PC or on iPad itself.
Many people seem to have encountered problems like yours and there are all kinds of "suggestions" to get it right (including how to resume stalled downloads).
A few issues centre on which version of iOS you already have.
Some people recommend turning off any anti-virus software. Others have to open certain ports in their fire-wall settings. Some say do not try to "run" the download, but save it to your computer first.

Basically, you're not alone in this.

Do a Google search for "downloading ipad updates".

And have a look through this link:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/16436025#16436025

Good luck!

Larnes

Jul 28, 2008
Ios5 update

Hi there, not sure if you have already had a more useful reply. I updated my ios last weekend - the file is 737 MB and it took an hour on our ADSL2 connection here is Aus. I don't think there is a way to make it go faster, I have also had the problem of downloads cutting out and not resuming where they were up to.
If you don't need to update, can you wait until you are somewhere with a better connection? I know some of my apps wouldn't work anymore without the update.
On the upside - the new ios is good - notification centre has great improvements!

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Thank you Larnes and Johnny

I have tried the download manager but it didn't pick up the download that goes through Itunes.

The thread Johnny has posted describes my issues and I am trying right now.

Hope it works.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Hi Johnny

Just letting you know that I was able to update my IPad with your suggestions.

I owe you a drink ;)

Cheers

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hi balibule

Great stuff and bravo!

See - it wasn't all that hard - only took you several weeks.

I love success stories - you don't owe me anything.
Then again - if you're ever in Sanur. send me a PM and I'll take you up on that.

Now, I'm curious which method you actually used that worked. Maybe some other people might be interested, too.

:icon_biggrin:

Wikomac

May 2, 2012
Sanur
www.beecup.com
or the easier way, just go down to nearest Apple Authorised store or premium reseller, they have the file to update your iPad, It's Free, fast, and save you bandwidth

itinerantman

Apr 6, 2012
I have been trying since several weeks to update my Ipad. It's a 700mb update! I think I have missed some previous updates.

The problem is, whenever I am halfway, the connection crashes and I have to start all over again.

Any computer wizards with suggestions?

download a program called 'GetRight' from getright.com/ it used to be free-probably still is tho later it will keep prompting you to register your product. it resumes downloads from the snap point.