Internet load balancers

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I am increasingly becoming frustrated with the internet. It works most of the time, but I am getting more frequent dropouts.

I understand the situation is not ideal at the moment with everyone working/studying from home, but I was looking for a possible solution.

Ideally, I would have a backup internet for when our main internet (Indihome) stops working.

So I was thinking of getting a load balancer like this: https://www.tokopedia.com/sanjayaco...tOe-Gm66drEayAguXMktn7RFbeC_7doJg0Ooz5-CXzJGY

So in theory, if one connection fails, it automatically gets a connection from the other.

I was thinking first of getting another provider like Biznet, but it has been a bit of a nightmare trying to sign up with them, so I was thinking of using 4G as the backup with a Mifi router.

I know there is a software version of this called Speedify, but I want to avoid another monthly charge if I can just buy the hardware.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
"Spicyayam I am increasingly becoming frustrated with the internet. "

Funny you should say that. This evening an attempt to watch a film on Youtube had maybe thirty seconds and then several minutes to load a bit more. This persisted through until about 10.30 pm. (Used the gaps to catch up on emails.) And then suddenly it began working at a normal speed.

Usually a day or two before the end of our monthly cycle our internet provider says our quota is used up. We can't simply pay a monthly fee for an increased capacity but they will let us buy extra when our quota runs out. It fees like extortion.

So, Spicyayam, if you do find a way to overcome this aggravation please post the details. I can only think that this inadequate internet service for Indonesia is a serious impediment for national development when increasingly companies are becoming more and more reliant on internet business.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Can't see how this will help you if the net in total is overloaded but maybe. I can tell you what had the best success with my dropout problems: instead of running all my/our/their (anyone on the property) connections through the wifi I took the main user (me) and did a hard RJ45 connection to the router. This means that all the many and various wifi needs are carried out by the wifi but my connection is hard wired and doesn't load the wifi at all. Better days for everyone.

PS. would also check how many kids and their parents are sitting around your property enjoying your internet - I usually have 2 on the north side and several in the warung next door. If it gets too much I just change the password and "Presto" connections improve.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Yes, I use a wired connection when necessary. Have also had to change the password a few times now. We came home one time and it seemed like half the village was on the neighbor's porch on their handphones.

Reactions: Markit

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
As much as everyone complains about Indihome, they are great in comparison is BN. We having been trying to get a connection with them since Feb. We started an application in Feb and it seems like the person we were dealing with has since quit. No one from their office followed up again. I went to the office today to apply again and now still waiting for someone to come to our place to check.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I had Biznet come by and look and they basically told me that although there are several villas that might also want to connect the fiber cable would have been too expensive for BN to run - over 250 meters or some such BS. I even offered to club together with the other villa owners to finance the cable but this was apparently "a bridge too far" so ... NO can do. Fidiots

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Though I have been using computers for about 35 years my understanding of the technical science involved is woeful. Nonetheless, with Covid 19 it seems many more businesses are turning to the internet for trade, more students are using the internet for study purposes and there is hardly any sector of society which is not seeking greater and more frequent access.. Adding to the useage are perhaps several million unemployed or under employed using the internet for recreational activities. My impression is that the system is overloaded and it now can take long periods to download almost anything. If this is the case it would suggest that Indonesia's internet capability is hopelessly inadequate and is a serious impediment for future business and societal growth.

Does this outline make sense or am I just highlighting what an inadequate grasp I have as to internet function?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Does this outline make sense or am I just highlighting what an inadequate grasp I have as to internet function?

This is completely true. My brother in law works for XL and he said they are having trouble importing equipment from China, to upgrade/expand their network, so this is another problem at the moment.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Hopping back and forth plenty of times between Perth and Denpasar, while the NBN here became a cut down version of what it was originally intended, Bali is definitely still a few years behind in internet technology. Not saying Aus is the benchmark by any means, but I can do pretty much anything including IPTV with good ping times here perfectly, where in Bali on multiple providers I can only use those sort of services 6-10am (when I assume everyone sleeps). I've always found it with Bali the hotels are often on the wrong plans to save $ and there is all these small - medium networks and so many of them rather than $ poured in to a national infrastructure. Still internet speed is about the only thing I find better in Perth, certainly missing the Bali life in the middle of cold and rainy winter.

Anyway I feel I might be going just a bit off=topic here so better shut up now.