LuigiG

Mar 19, 2016
Hi,
my wife, my 2 kids and i will move to Bali in July where we will stay for a few years.

We work from home using internet.

Therefore we need a solid and reliable internet connection to make daily Skype sessions (3 to 4 hours daily) with the US and Europe.

We plan to live in Kerobokan / Umalas / Canggu area, where our kids school is located.

My question is: do you think it's possible or not? I've read so many bad reviews about the internet speed there. But most of them come from tourists using internet in cafes, not expats with home connexion. So I am not sure...

If we use Biznet or Telkom, do you think we can get an internet connection good enough for Skype sessions?

Louis

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
G'Day Louis. I'm using Smartfren 4G and can confirm that it is good enough for Skype Video Calls, I been using it for about 3 months and in that time it hasn't dropped out during a call. It's more than enough for VOIP/Skype voice calls but there will be a slight delay depending upon the destination of your calls.

That said, you're probably better off going for a fibre-to-the-home internet provider if you can get one, possibly use the Smartfren 4G as a backup. You'll probably have your pick of the providers if you want to live in that area.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Kerobokan / Umalas / Canggu

Those areas seem to be covered by fibre from a range of companies, but you still see people posting on facebook, there is no fibre in their street. I have no idea as I live in the north.

CBN and Biznet seem popular. Indihome (telkom) are cheaper, but customer support is poor. You need to call JKT who then contact someone locally.

I have been using Skype to people in Europe and it has been working mostly fine. One of the problems for me is that the location of the internet is also the nosiest part of our house. I am going to be testing a VOIP system soon, so will let you know how that works out.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
................... Indihome (telkom) are cheaper, but customer support is poor. You need to call JKT who then contact someone locally. ..................
We have found customer support pretty good. For sure you ring 147 and it's Jakarta but the tech guys there can see info about the Telkom end of your connection and can often guide you to a fix if it is not a local line problem.

So, LuigiG, my suggestion is when looking for a home, only look at places that already have Indihome.