JoanNadia

Feb 19, 2010
Denpasar Bali
So, I am more than likely going to be moving into a KOST situation in Denpasar. However, I am wondering what is the best way for me to get internet? I have a laptop that is reliable with wireless, etc.

I just need internet that I can use whenever I want to be able to surf the web, write emails, video chat via skype and upload some pictures on facebook.

I'm really bad at technological stuff, so any help is really appreciated!

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Indosat do a dongle that can deliver enough for your needs. Not 3Gs standards but should be ok. Price about 350,000 a month fr 2Mb I am not sure on that though. It is a start for you to look at.

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
If you can get "speedy" through a land line [telephone connection] it's the best we have here.

JoanNadia

Feb 19, 2010
Denpasar Bali
What are those thingies I see some people with? Like they look like USB something or others that they put into their computer for Internet? I had a friend say that you just put minutes on it, like you would a cell phone?

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
What are those thingies I see some people with? Like they look like USB something or others that they put into their computer for Internet? I had a friend say that you just put minutes on it, like you would a cell phone?

The gizmo (or dongle) needs a SIM card in it, and has some memory that contains the software that needs to be installed onto the computer. When this software is installing you need to answer questions about the SIM card and similar. This link: Small note about Indosat 3.5G Broadband with Modem Huawei E220 gives you some idea of what its like with one particular brand of gizmo, and Indosat as the provider.

I don't have one, but have borrowed from others at times and have found the link (in North Bali) to be very slow. Maybe, it's better in the south.

Jesse

Feb 16, 2010
Melbourne
The problem with dongle is if the place you're at have low signal for the network of the simcard you use. Also, most people complain that using the device is quite inconvenient for straight online conversation like internet calls or videocall because of frequent disconnection concerning signal problems.

connected56

Oct 8, 2010
Puri Gading, Jimbaran, Bali
Portable modem for internet connection - it rocks!

I just started teaching at the International School in Puri Gading and got hooked up with a high speed USB Modem - it's called Smartfren. Yeah, it looks like a large flash drive or whatever you call it - I am bad with technology too - but it works great. The guy came to the school and set it up for me - I could probably get his info unless you can find this on your own. So you can use it certainly where I am and in busy spots - I don't know about everywhere though.

Effie

Feb 26, 2010
You can get very fast internet that never goes down. It depends how much you want to pay.

Tamispecial

Oct 14, 2010
Legian Kaja
Indosat do a dongle that can deliver enough for your needs. Not 3Gs standards but should be ok. Price about 350,000 a month fr 2Mb I am not sure on that though. It is a start for you to look at.

I had Indosat usb modem..200.000 per month unlimited...BUT I would never use them again really is the worst service as their mobile uses the same connection. I have sometimes been without a connection for 4 days...due to "heavy traffic"...gave that the flick after 2 months:icon_exclaim: