balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Indonesia's struggling economy could be one reason why there has been little word of the country's next round of executions, according to the lead lawyer for Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran.

Australians Chan and Sukumaran, the ringleaders of the so-called Bali Nine, were among several foreigners shot dead in April.

According to high-profile Indonesian lawyer and professor Todung Mulya Lubis, who has been in Australia to talk about an ongoing campaign against the death penalty, it is too early to say if the economic slowdown was contributing to a de facto moratorium.

"But I believe that Jokowi now realises that he has to pay the price for those two executions," Professor Lubis said.

Late last year Indonesian president Joko Widodo, also known as Jokowi, said there would be no clemency for more than 60 people convicted of drugs offences, and two rounds of executions were carried out in the early part of 2015.

Indonesia's economic growth has now dipped below 5 per cent for two consecutive quarters this year, and much needed foreign investment is yet to pour in to help build up the nation's depleted infrastructure.

"The economy is not good at the moment," Professor Lubis said.

"We have a problem with our debt, you know, the balance. We have a problem with the weakening of the Indonesian currency.

"We have a problem with declining exports to other countries. And we cannot afford to have another execution, as simple as that."

Indonesia's struggling economy cannot afford another execution, Bali Nine lawyer warns - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
This would of course presume that the place was being run by adults when, in fact, most of the recent evidence tends towards proving it is being "run" (I use the term loosely) be a collection of chickens, post beheading.

dav733

Dec 29, 2016
Mmm..oh dear .I am agreeing with mark it.. spot on .they need much advice on running things