Indonesian Independance

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I'm sure we're all aware that yesterday, 17 August was Indonesia's celebration of independence from colonial rule.
My wife's Manado galpal, visiting from Jakarta, brought independence T-shirts which we proudly wore all day.... and stuck-up our fisted hand and yelled 'Merdeka' at every opportunity
In Bali...the response, compared to what she said would be in Manado, or Jakarta, was muted.
I have proudly flown the flag over our villa but, when asking our Balinese maid about 'Merdeka', her attitude was less than enthusiastic.
Subsequently, through questions, I've ascertained that Balinese aren't convinced that being Indonesian is in their best interest.
Has anyone alse observed a separation of Bali from Indonesia as something tangible....or am I naïve?

Last edited:

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
I think bali feels separate from the mainland , not just by water , but by the increasing radicalism, which is the cancer slowly destroying the nation, in my view .

This is an anathema to the balinese culture , live and let live , so of course they are underwhelmed with the goings on in java and elsewhere in the archipelago , as I am.

Last edited:

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Has anyone alse observed a separation of Bali from Indonesia as something tangible....or am I naïve?

That's interesting, my experience is almost the opposite. This is the first year where I've felt that the celebrations had taken on a compulsory tone.

The Banjar youth organised a "Jalan Santai" and sold tickets for a raffle but the pressure to buy was much higher than last year. I'd already bought 5 and they still came to our house looking to sell more.

I got pulled up in the street and told that our perumahan would have to put up a huge flag out the front and a few days later one of the satpams knocked on the door and complained that there were no decorations out the front. By this time, all the individual houses already had flags up. I went and put some red and white trim around the top of the security post, so I hope that was enough to placate the sentiment. It was reassuring that lots of locals saw me doing it too.

None of it was terribly intimidating but it was a noticeable change from earlier years.

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
I have to say around by us in nusa dua , there was a few flags but non of the usual community games or music etc.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I think bali feels separate from the mainland , not just by water , but by the increasing radicalism, which is the cancer slowly destroying the nation, in my view .

This is an anathema to the balinese culture , live and let live , so of course they are underwhelmed with the goings on in java and elsewhere in the archipelago , as I am.
Agreed, there is a meaningful disconnect between the Balinese (especially the older generation) and the radicals living on other islands who wear their religion on their sleeves but still lead hypocritical lives.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009

I didn't get this feeling where I live. There seemed to be a lot of events going on around Singaraja. Many Balinese were probably busy preparing for today's ceremony.

Actually I had a nice feeling that Indonesian people are proud of the day. Meanwhile in Australia I saw a news article that the Melbourne local council of Yarra was removing all references to Australia Day.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I agree with Spicy, around Singaraja the marching events are taken seriously. The younger marchers are a bit more irreverent than would have been tolerated in Suharto's time.

In our Village just north of Ubud there are many flags ( but little marching), but in the neighbouring village very few flags.

Bali has many facets.

Reactions: admin