IanR

Feb 20, 2014
My wife and I are in the last stages of finalising moving to Bali.

We have our own business that we can operate from anywhere in the world that has internet access and couriers.

One of the issues that I anticipate is Indonesian Customs.

Does anyone have experience of the following they could share with us please?

Which is the most reliable Courier Company to work with? We use UPS for Europe to USA but have experience TNT and DHL better in India.

Just how difficult are the Customs guys, if you get your paperwork right?

We need to sea freight our office equipment in. Does anyone know a good freight forwarder? Any issues with this we could anticipate?

Which is the best ISP?

Can we buy sims for our iPhones?

Thanks in advance!

Ian

IanR

Feb 20, 2014
We won't actually be conducting business there, only operating it.

All of our actual import export accounting warehousing etc is all in the UK.

The only items coming and going will be samples.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Working from Indo , you need work permits . All mine were sold before i moved here except my income producing rea l estate investments

Just follow the customs rules and all is simple

davita

Mar 13, 2012
IanR
Welcome to the forum.
You have many questions but not enough info for any member here to answer....imo.
Indonesia is still a very grey area with respect to foreign employment including internet activity i.e. Conducting/Operating....are words. Whilst you may wish to define your purpose, in the work sense, the RI Govt may see it differently.
If you and wife are finalising a move to Bali.....I suggest you need to examine your visa/work status prior to requesting whether DHL, or others, are the best courier systems.
Ask the necessary question, provide enough info, and assuredly.....members here can help.

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
Have used TNT, DHL and Fedex...
Always like TNT better, the rate is better with the same service.
I don't like big size companies that made you wait too long for any complaint, in Indonesia TNT is a medium player.

For freight forwarder I recommend crown logistics but a bit pricey.

For ISP, currently using Biznet. Most of the day, they work fine, but like all of the ISP's in Bali, they are all crap :(

SIM cards for iphones are easy, just ask the seller to cut it for you

Good luck:eagerness:

IanR

Feb 20, 2014
Thank you for the info so far and for the welcome davita.

We really did not anticipate any issues regarding 'employment' as all we consider we will be doing there is living. We will not be 'employed' by an Indonesian company, employing any locals or engaging in any commercial activity in Indonesia.

We will be sitting in our spare bedroom playing on the internet really, with the occasional package arriving from abroad.

Do you really see this as an issue?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thank you for the info so far and for the welcome davita.

We really did not anticipate any issues regarding 'employment' as all we consider we will be doing there is living. We will not be 'employed' by an Indonesian company, employing any locals or engaging in any commercial activity in Indonesia.

We will be sitting in our spare bedroom playing on the internet really, with the occasional package arriving from abroad.

Do you really see this as an issue?

I'm sure there are hundreds of foreigners doing similar in Indonesia especially as it is so concealed, and I've never heard of anyone being in trouble. Still, it is a grey area and I wouldn't like to be the first to explain/defend if charged under the Immigration act.
I suppose it depends on the size of the activity and who will be witness, or even wish, to make a formal complaint to authorities.
Probably best to 'stay under the radar' and maybe have packages delivered to different addresses, if anticipated there are many deliveries.

Also, wrap the packages well as there are dog-sniffers at the airport.....ask Julian Ponder, who did some internet importing.....he still lives in Kerobokan :devilish:

IanR

Feb 20, 2014
I'm sure there are hundreds of foreigners doing similar in Indonesia especially as it is so concealed, and I've never heard of anyone being in trouble. Still, it is a grey area and I wouldn't like to be the first to explain/defend if charged under the Immigration act.
I suppose it depends on the size of the activity and who will be witness, or even wish, to make a formal complaint to authorities.
Probably best to 'stay under the radar' and maybe have packages delivered to different addresses, if anticipated there are many deliveries.

Also, wrap the packages well as there are dog-sniffers at the airport.....ask Julian Ponder, who did some internet importing.....he still lives in Kerobokan :devilish:

Thanks for the tip but nothing that will be coming in will worry the dogs.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Just how difficult are the Customs guys, if you get your paperwork right?

We need to sea freight our office equipment in. Does anyone know a good freight forwarder? Any issues with this we could anticipate?

Ian

The Office-equipment made me think, really really doing business here...but if it's just from the spare bedroom kind of business, I would not bother importing "office-equipment". I mean "playing on the internet" as you describe it, what kind of equipment could one need for that ?
You have no kitas, so you can't import taxfree as 'used-household goods', meaning whatever you ship over will be taxed as new.
If shipping several same items, customs might suspect these things are not for personal use but commercial (for sale), and thus ask about the status of your business, from there it's a small step to your immigration-status. imho, easier, cheaper and certainly less of a hassle to just buy whatever "office-equipment" you need here.

BoogeyWoman

Aug 29, 2010
I think its better for you to go with a normal shipping company than dhl or fed ex. They are known for the most expensive custom taxes, because they know if you are shipping things with them means you have money since it is expensive.

I shipped a 200dolar worth of paper boxes from china, it didn't arrive in time and I was forced to paid 800usd for the custom tax. I insisted not to pay and file a complain to the DHL headquarters, they finally let it go without paying any cent. weird.

the second time, I shipped a gifts ribbon that cost only 100usd, the custom tax was 4million rupiah, I asked for leniency and submit the real documentation and receipt. they end up only charge me with 300rb but the fed ex fee and storage this and that is 1.2jt.

till today I am sending anything anywhere with a normal postal, it arrive beautiful and I only paid 15rb the max 150rb to the kantor pos.

PROLINKSBY

Oct 21, 2014
Hi if you would like to have more comparisons in price and services to the current logistic provider you might have used, We would be glad to assist you for export activities from Tanjung Perak port in Surabaya or import to Surabaya from other countries around the globe.

We are headquartered in Jakarta with a branch in Surabaya specializing in tailoring customer needs for export and import from and to the eastern region of Indonesia.

A glance of our company Profile

Prolink International specializes in International Freight Forwarder and logistics services, providing integrated services at competitives rates to customers in Indonesia, Singapore and many other countries.

Since the Company's inception on 1 May 1996, we have developed a careful selection of agents worldwide and cooperated with domestic and global partners who can enhance our full service solutions. Today, we can move any kind of shipment to and from virtually anywhere in the world through an extensive and growing sales network in over 15 countries.

In our pursuit of excellence, we have been recognized both nationally and internationally by being accredited with memberships in various associations, including the Indonesian National Forwarder Association (INFA), the International Federation of Freight Forwarders Associations (FIATA) and International Air Transport Association (IATA).

Please contact us for further information at 031-3281857 or a direct call to 089672791686 (Robin)
You can also drop us an email for further question to robin(at)prolinklogistics(dot)com

justyboy

Jan 31, 2015
my username is justyman i have an import company in jakarta i know a great freight forwarder very knowledgable connected efficient and honest...message me, and ill put you in touch with her she actually wants to move to Bali....doesnt everyone.....ps im new to the forum so dont have the privelage of contacting you directly.

Kev62

May 17, 2017
Hi if you would like to have more comparisons in price and services to the current logistic provider you might have used, We would be glad to assist you for export activities from Tanjung Perak port in Surabaya or import to Surabaya from other countries around the globe.

We are headquartered in Jakarta with a branch in Surabaya specializing in tailoring customer needs for export and import from and to the eastern region of Indonesia.

A glance of our company Profile

Prolink International specializes in International Freight Forwarder and logistics services, providing integrated services at competitives rates to customers in Indonesia, Singapore and many other countries.

Since the Company's inception on 1 May 1996, we have developed a careful selection of agents worldwide and cooperated with domestic and global partners who can enhance our full service solutions. Today, we can move any kind of shipment to and from virtually anywhere in the world through an extensive and growing sales network in over 15 countries.

In our pursuit of excellence, we have been recognized both nationally and internationally by being accredited with memberships in various associations, including the Indonesian National Forwarder Association (INFA), the International Federation of Freight Forwarders Associations (FIATA) and International Air Transport Association (IATA).

Please contact us for further information at 031-3281857 or a direct call to 089672791686 (Robin)
You can also drop us an email for further question to robin(at)prolinklogistics(dot)com

good to know,
cheers,
Kev

Thaiman

May 15, 2014
When I move to Bali to live, retirement, cant i bring any personal items with me duty free, ie. TV, computor, printer, laptop, anything?