Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Had a new neighbour move in couple of weeks ago,he is renting,before actually moving in he had his ac guy come by and top up his units with freon,i was sitting outside when they arrived,

Two guys on a motorcycle,a cylinder of freon and no ladder,i watched in amazement as one guy was trying to stand on top of the bike to reach the ac unit,while the other one was holding the cylinder above his head to connect it to the unit,

I couldn't watch anymore so I went across with my step ladder, they thanked me and did their job,

Earlier this week we needed to have one of our own units topped up so iasked the new neighbour for the number of his guy and also how much he charged,he told me Rp75,000,

Got my wife to call him as I don't speak Indo,he asked her where she got his number from,she said our neighbour, he seemed to remember cause he asked if she was married to a bule,she said yes he gave you a ladder last time when you were at the neighbours house,ya ya I remember,

So can you come and put freon into our ac unit,yaya I can come today,,how much do you charge,well freon is very hard to get now so the price is Rp150,000 for freon and Rp 75,000 to clean the unit,

I'm wondering why do I try to be a nice guy here,seems the more I try the more I get f####d,

We called another guy who charged Rp80,000 for the freon

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
At least you've still got your ladder, or did you really give it away (without realising)?

Do you have any high points where you stay (like a second storey, or sturdy trees)?

If so, you might find people coming around and climbing them to get a better reception on their smartphones.
Or, wanting to borrow your ladder.

:beaten:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Ok not knowing anything much here but being in a similar position vis-a-vis freon. Bought a new AC a month ago and got my usual guy to come install it - he's never been very keen, always kind of acts like he's doing me a favor to come round. Well he finally arrives with a mate and installs the AC which I then don't use for a week. Surprise, surprise it blows hot air.

Call guy up and over he comes and guess what he fecked up the original install (course, last thing he admits but kinda hard to disagree that it was working when he left and now blows hot air...) and all the freon leaked out.

Simple, thinks I, just put new freon in.

NyDave here's where it may get interesting for you: he then says sorry I don't have this new freon but will try and get. Normal/old freon is 22 (? No fecking clue) but the newer units only take freon 32.

How much will that cost? Don't know and a further 7 days go by and still no news. In the mean time I happen to see an AC truck down my road and (as you do here) ask man if he can get freon 32 which he affirms he can and will cost me 170k.

Two thoughts: NYDave your neighbour may have an older AC with freon 22 and the second guy you called with the cheap freon... well, you can probably figure that out yourself.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Yeah it's possible I guess,except that both my neighbour and myself have old units,and the guy for 150k quoted over the phone without seeing the unit,

But here anything is possible I guess,hahah they always have an excuse to justify over charging,

To me it's not the money,its the principle,would it be the same if we were talking 15 million Rp compared to 8 million?

I somewhat understand about the different freon's,,im into old cars and I know that older cars use a different freon to newer cars,so I get the point you are making,im also aware that freon for a house ac is different from a car ac

ZoomBali

Mar 28, 2016
Denpasar, Bali
www.zoombali.com
Lately we had to call 3 times an AC fix guy and fixed the freon on our AC but everytimes it breaks after a week or 2 so we decided to buy a new AC at Hypermart. I can understand.

I think in general you need to be awared of price discrepancy between Bule and local people and the best thing to do is to shop and compared :icon_eek:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Ok freon doesn't get "old", just weak - kinda like men.

Your guy can measure the pressure in the unit so if that's ok and everything else is blowing but just not cold you will need to look elsewhere for your problem.