davita

Mar 13, 2012
I read in the paper that the 2nd Congress of the Indonesian Diaspora (CID) is meeting in the Jakarta Convention Centre from last Friday till tomorrow. I understand that one of the points for debate is the contribution that Overseas Indonesians can make to the homeland. This discussion may have some concrete proposals for ex-WNI to retain some nationality or permanent settlement if they return to RI. There are some 3,000 delegates registered to attend.
With some 8 million Indonesians living abroad it appears that around 1% of the GDP is remitted by them.
If anyone reads or hears any report of interest from the meeting I think members would appreciate a posting here.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I would be grateful if Davita or anyone else can please explain how that would be of interest to expats living here. I don't mean this in any way sarcastically but I would like to understand what you think this means for us.

Unless your point is for the partners of Bule?

8 million Indonesians living abroad is almost 3% of the entire population and one would really expect them to contribute more than just 1% to the GDP as they are usually good earners and abroad with that in mind.

Last edited:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
It interests me as my wife lost her Indonesian citizenship when we married over 25 years ago and, as I'm on a Retirent Kitas I sponsor her for a kitas, and we have to use an expensive agent.
If she could get a Kitap she could sponsor me without the expensive agent.....as it is DIY.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
Wont dual passports only be given to countries which have reciprocal dual passport arrangements with RI? (if it ever does happen).

Is that how it works?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I've never heard of a situation where reciprocity for dual nationality was a requirement, but I'm not even knowledgeable on the subject...just have a personal interest.
I did read, however, that the Philippines recently permitted it's previous citizens to regain Filipino status. This allowed tens of thousands of retired ex-citizens to return to their homeland, mainly from a successful life in the US or EU, without losing their foreign citizenships.
I also read this created enormous economic benefits to the Philippines as they brought their foreign resourced wealth back with them to purchase homes, cars, products etc.

Around 23 years ago my wife (Indonesian) and myself (UK) immigrated to Canada. 3 years later we accepted Canadian citizenship and both received Canadian Passports. I still retained my now EU passport but my wife was prevented from renewing her Indonesian one by the RI Consul.

I now have an RI Retirement Kitas but I sponsor my (considered foreign) wife for her kitas as she is still underage for her own Retirement Kitas...how ridiculous is that?

However, it does give me the opportunity, anytime she disagrees with me, to threated her with deportation!!! :boxing:

Last edited: