Indonesia to get tough on remote workers

balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Beware, tourist visa-holding remote workers in Bali. Immigration says they’re onto you, and will not hesitate to get tough on visa violators.

The Justice and Human Rights Ministry’s office in Bali, which oversees immigration matters, said it recently received tips about foreigners working remotely from Bali on tourist visas.

“They may be working from hotels or wherever they’re staying. But they work [for companies] in their home countries. So they work online,” Jamaruli Manihuruk, who heads the Bali office, said.

“If there are foreigners on tourist visas but they’re working from Bali, we won’t hesitate to act. If the public sees or knows about them, please report them to our officers.”

John M

Sep 29, 2020
Sanur, Bali
[/URL]
They don't seem to be aware that tourist visas have not been issued for nearly two years, only B211A 'Business' visas have been issued, and since a special case was made for B211A 'Tourism' visa holders to enter via Bali and Riau only from the 14th of October 2021 at the last count only forty five tourism visas had been issued.

Last edited:

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Why don't they do what Mauritius did and offer remote working visas instead of getting all angry and upset and scaring away investment dollars. They just don't have a clue.
I am looking at Mauritius now. I visited there many years ago. Apart from speaking French it is not a bad place to consider for digital nomads.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The article is apparently the result not of a new government push but a piss-poor translation of another article into English. Can't find the article cause been drinking beer all afternoon and could not find a feck to give. At the mo...

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
The article is apparently the result not of a new government push but a piss-poor translation of another article into English. Can't find the article cause been drinking beer all afternoon and could not find a feck to give. At the mo...
I thought I might have a spare feck or two to lend you but no. I realize I am also completely out of fecks. Sorry mate.

Reactions: Markit

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
I find when I’ve been drinking beer all afternoon that’s it’s the best time to have a feck.

• Love
Reactions: Markit

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Why don't they do what Mauritius did and offer remote working visas instead of getting all angry and upset and scaring away investment dollars. They just don't have a clue.
I am looking at Mauritius now. I visited there many years ago. Apart from speaking French it is not a bad place to consider for digital nomads.
Mauritius was on my "possible retirement" list. Been there in my young Navy dsys
But I think it is nowadays much more expensive than Bali.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
This is the article and yes, Coconuts took licence with the translation and added "[for companies] in their home countries". The words in brackets were not in the original.

The original article seems to suggest that immigration is cracking down on those who work in Bali illegally, selling products or services to the local market (not to overseas clients), but as usual, the language is ambiguous and not spelled out clearly.

Bali Post - Caught Working, Immigration promises strict action

• Love
Reactions: JackStraw

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I suspect it's like the ones most against drug legalization were/are the drug peddlers. They'll all be out of a job once drugs are all legal and the same goes for the immi - make Global Gonads legal and where do you expect them to find a bowl of rice? Indo is rife with all this shit and to get kicked out your really have to have shit in the water barrel. Or refused to divvy up.