balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Indonesians are taking to the streets to demand the government heed their complaints. Are they livid about corruption? No. Fed up with poverty? Not really. Angry over political gridlock? Not so much. It’s those damn bikinis.

In recent days, the nation with the world’s largest Muslim population has been consumed by protests against the Miss World pageant finale Sept. 28, originally scheduled to be held near Jakarta. Muslim groups, including radical ones, have threatened violent attacks. The government has responded by moving the event to Bali -- the Hindu-majority island popular with Westerners -- increasing security, and hoping for the best.

This column isn’t a defense of beauty contests. My question is, why the misplaced anger? Where’s the outrage over obscene levels of graft, which eats up national wealth and forces 115 million Indonesians to live on less than $2 a day? Where are the placards condemning policies that have made the rupiah Asia’s most pathetic currency? Why don’t we hear chants demanding greater accountability from leaders?

It’s great that Indonesians are worked up, but their ire would be more constructive if it were focused on the right target. Investors know the trouble. And that’s the biggest problem of all.

Read the full article here: Indonesia Has Bigger Problems Than Bikinis - Bloomberg

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
It's always easier to point the finger of blame beyond one's own failures. "Look over there! That's why our lives are miserable."

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
You guys all miss the point - all these idi....excuse me, miss-informed citizens have done the simple calculation that looks like this: a few years of misery on good old planet earth or eternity in heaven, nirvana, Elysium, pick you rewarding after death destination.

I have to agree, the very last thing these poor people need is some western luxury bimbos prancing about while they can't scratch together full bowl of rice.

Education, education, education that's the only thing that will help here or anywhere else with it's fair share of fundamentalists.

To be honest, isn't the Miss World competition a bit ... last year hundred? Walked through Sanur today and saw dozens of prettier girls.

But what do I know?