P

paulseawind

Just to make sure we're talking about the same site. Here's the URL: http://www.speedtest.net/
Instead of clicking 'Begin Test' click the minus symbol on the left hand side to zoom the map out and then use the mouse the position of the map until it's over Australia. Hover your mouse over the white dot that would be Sydney and then choose a server from the list.
I think a lot of people make that mistake of accepting the test results at face value without thinking about the location of the test server. Think of it this way. You wouldn't test the speed and reliability of the postal service from here to Sydney, Australia by sending a letter to Surabaya.

You need to pick a server location that is representative of the where the majority of your web traffic originates.

DPH, I think I just achieved that. And, yes, I am using speedtest.net. Always have. Thanks.
I reckon my test results are correct now.
Close enough, anyways.

P

paulseawind

Ah, you beat me to the punch. That ping speed of 200ms is pretty impressive, who do you use for your internet?

I use a guy (and his brother) who have a business that operates out of Kalibukbuk, on Jl. Kartika. His name is Gede and he is a quiet gentle (tall) fellow and soon after he and I stopped fighting (6 months it took) we became as one. He runs his service from Sgrja INDOSAT, thru the air, to Kalibukbuk. Then on to Banjar. I get the signal from Banjar into my own HotSpot here at home. Usually it runs like clockwork but sometimes the power is shut off by some PLN people along the way and I can have an outage of 10-20 minutes to 4-5 hours on a very bad day. He trots out the PLN excuse each time so I doubt that's it every occasion.

200ms is slow by my opinion. Usually 39ms or around that.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
200ms is slow by my opinion. Usually 39ms or around that.

Yes, but you'll never get 39ms for web traffic to Australia, other locations sure, but not Australia. The 200ms you just got is the best I've seen for web traffic to Australia.

It's not even about geographic distance, I think I read somewhere that most, if not all, traffic to Australia from Indonesia is rerouted via Japan or America. Indonesian ISPs buy bandwidth from the undersea cables that go via Japan/America because the cables that go directly to Australia are more expensive (or possibly don't exist, I don't know). Don't quote me on this though.

P

paulseawind

Yes, but you'll never get 39ms for web traffic to Australia, other locations sure, but not Australia. The 200ms you just got is the best I've seen for web traffic to Australia.
It's not even about geographic distance, I think I read somewhere that most, if not all, traffic to Australia from Indonesia is rerouted via Japan or America. Indonesian ISPs buy bandwidth from the undersea cables that go via Japan/America because the cables that go directly to Australia are more expensive (or possibly don't exist, I don't know). Don't quote me on this though.

I don't know, DPH. But I have traced emails from hackers before and they all go thru the USA.
I caught one once. Some lunatic posing as a woman. I gave him a cyber kick in the gonads.

I am watching 'The Terminal' with Tom Hanks right now on Netflix. Crazy stuff. It just started.

If you're in the North, come over and log in. Ketut can get you a coffee if you want.

Just did it again and got this with Netflix loaded:

Speed.jpg

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Just to make sure we're talking about the same site. Here's the URL: http://www.speedtest.net/

I think a lot of people make that mistake of accepting the test results at face value without thinking about the location of the test server. Think of it this way. You wouldn't test the speed and reliability of the postal service from here to Sydney, Australia by sending a letter to Surabaya.

You need to pick a server location that is representative of the where the majority of your web traffic originates.

Yes, I understand that. But from what I understand some sites like Facebook/Youtube/Netflix use a CDN with servers in Indonesia. So these sites should work well.

We are paying for 20MB but getting 12-14MB, which I guess is something we can complain about.

P

paulseawind

Yes, I understand that. But from what I understand some sites like Facebook/Youtube/Netflix use a CDN with servers in Indonesia. So these sites should work well. We are paying for 20MB but getting 12-14MB, which I guess is something we can complain about.

I am the first to say 'I don't know'.
You are above my Pay Grade on this.
If I am getting what is OK by me, then I think 'That's OK'.

Tom Hanks is still stuck in the Terminal trying to sound Russian or thereabouts.

Leave it with you.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
My 15 y/o son has been reading this thread and his quote " these guys haven't a clue, no idea at all, don't know what they are taking about. He's laughing and asking are these guys old ( anything 40 and above is old)
The speeds they are talking about they don't understand what's low and what's high speed.
They are getting mixed up between megabytes and megabits.
There are a couple of people who understand but others are confused.
A lower ms is better. I also don't understand
Any questions he will answer through me

Last edited:

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
My 15 y/o son has been reading this thread and his quote " these guys haven't a clue, no idea at all, don't know what they are taking about. He's laughing and asking are these guys old ( anything 40 and above is old)
The speeds they are talking about they don't understand what's low and what's high speed.

Eh? You'll have to be more specific than that. What exactly was incorrect?

No one said or implied that a higher millisecond ping result was a good thing. Of course it isn't.

Did he really get a chuckle out of someone writing MB instead of Mbps when doing so caused no confusion and had no effect on the conversation?

Give him a kick up the arse from me.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009

That's great your son is learning this. Are they teaching this in school now? I admit I have no clue.

All ISPs use the download speed in their marketing materials. Usually with the magic words "up to". So basically anything less than what they claim.

Maybe you can ask your son what is the best way to test the speed/quality. I think it has been mentioned before about the unreliability of speedtest as ISPs will give extra bandwidth to the site to make it appear that you are getting good speeds. Is that true? There was another site which is supposed to be better. Can't remember the name now.

If downloads are fast within Indonesia, but slow to connect to servers outside of Indonesia, what is causing this? In simplistic terms, I would imagine it is Telkom's own 'gateway' to the cable which connects the internet to other countries. You just need to look at a map like this and see there is not a lot of connectivity to Indonesia: Submarine Cable Map

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Speed tests are a simple "ping" like the old WWII submarine movies - a signal bounces there and back and is timed (have also heard the ISP give special bandwidth to the rating sites too) but with the "real world" it looks a bit different.

Your "send", be it a Google query or a VOIP with video, is broken up at your closest server into "packets" which are individually addressed and sequenced and sent on their way with no interest in where - they will find their own way on the massive internet through the added addressing. Delays come up all through the network but while it's all so wildly fast, a millisecond is 1/1000 of a second and that's slow stuff in computer terms, it all comes together reasonable soon at the destination.

But! if one of those individual packets goes missing or is corrupted (an integrity check is also included in the addressing) then a "resend" command is sent back to your first server and it all starts again.

I could go on and on and on.

Be glad it all works at all, very glad - 20 years ago most people hadn't heard of the internet and knew more about their spouses and kids than they probably wanted to.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Eh? You'll have to be more specific than that. What exactly was incorrect?

No one said or implied that a higher millisecond ping result was a good thing. Of course it isn't.

Did he really get a chuckle out of someone writing MB instead of Mbps when doing so caused no confusion and had no effect on the conversation?

Give him a kick up the arse from me.

He is a smartarse I don't know where he gets it from.
If I gave him him a kick in the arse he would be probably laugh

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
That's great your son is learning this. Are they teaching this in school now? I admit I have no clue.

All ISPs use the download speed in their marketing materials. Usually with the magic words "up to". So basically anything less than what they claim.

Maybe you can ask your son what is the best way to test the speed/quality. I think it has been mentioned before about the unreliability of speedtest as ISPs will give extra bandwidth to the site to make it appear that you are getting good speeds. Is that true? There was another site which is supposed to be better. Can't remember the name now.

If downloads are fast within Indonesia, but slow to connect to servers outside of Indonesia, what is causing this? In simplistic terms, I would imagine it is Telkom's own 'gateway' to the cable which connects the internet to other countries. You just need to look at a map like this and see there is not a lot of connectivity to Indonesia: Submarine Cable Map

Yes they get taught a bit in school then spend countless hours online and closing the window when you get near them so you can't see what they are doing. A lot of the homework is done online.
You need to supply a laptop for them for school use.
Sometimes it's best not asking as he looks at you as if your mad ,at that age they know everything.
Oh how I wish I was his age and know what I know now.

P

paulseawind

Yes they get taught a bit in school then spend countless hours online and closing the window when you get near them so you can't see what they are doing. A lot of the homework is done online.
You need to supply a laptop for them for school use.
Sometimes it's best not asking as he looks at you as if your mad ,at that age they know everything.
Oh how I wish I was his age and know what I know now.

Maybe your spelling would improve.
I'll bet your nipper spells better than you do.

kabouter

Feb 16, 2011
Just a question since both indihome/speedy and globalextreme are using fiber, why are globalextreme's speeds capped so low and their price so high aren't they using the exact same lines?