balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Bali: From 2006 to 2012, the number of cases originating in Indonesia increased six-fold, from 178 to 1078.

There has been a dramatic increase in the number of infectious diseases caught by West Australians when they visit Bali.

A study shows that increased travel to the Indonesian island has resulted in a rising number of serious diseases, such as dengue fever and salmonella gastroenteritis.

WA Health Department researchers say their findings highlight the need for better education of travellers about risks and preventative measures.

Their research found the number of flights from WA to Indonesia increased more than five-fold from 2006 to 2012.

Of all travellers to Indonesia in 2011, 90 per cent visited Bali.

In 2012, a total of 2605 notifiable infectious diseases were acquired overseas by West Australians. Of these, 41 per cent were caught in Indonesia, mostly in Bali.

From 2006 to 2012, the number of cases originating in Indonesia increased six-fold, from 178 to 1078.

Dengue fever was the disease most commonly acquired in Indonesia in 2012, with 415 notifications. This represents 80 per cent of all WA dengue cases.

It was also the disease with the biggest increase since 2006, when there were nine cases.

Other diseases caught in Indonesia in 2012 included salmonella gastroenteritis with 263 cases, campylobacter gastroenteritis with 157 cases, chlamydia with 95 cases and gonorrhoea with 37 cases.

More return from Bali with illness - The West Australian

Trish

Mar 18, 2013
Ubud
These are very interesting figures relating only to WA. If those figures are added to the stats for other Australian states we have a significant problem. I have always suspected that the incidence of notifiable diseases in Bali go largely unrecorded but I cannot substantiate my suspicions. I base my thoughts on this matter on anecdotal evidence relating to the recent serious throat infection amongst under sevens hospitalised in Ubud. Anyone have any expertise in epidemiology?

Last edited:

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
Drug resistant TBC is the nasty one that no one is really talking about yet.

A product of anti-biotics being dispensed on every street corner and people not being educated on the importance of taking them properly.

I can put up with the constant handouts,theft, money hungry officials, traffic, trash, setups, shady business deals,.....but once things like this get a hold here im getting out.

The number of people coming down with TBC in close proximity to me lately is disturbing (although all locals strangely enough). Most are given shopping bags full of drugs and told to go hime and relax for 6 months and take the drugs and then "see how they feel".

As far as dengue and mosquito borne diseases go....i am super vigilant about everything in my area being mozzie "unfriendly". There are no puddles, no where water can sit (except the fishpod which gets treated) and i fog regularly - but if your neighbours arent doing the same thing its pointless. Add to that the "got" drainage system in use in Indo and its pretty much pointless trying to beat the mozzies - they get more and more resistant to the chemicals being used to treat them every season.

Maybe this is natures way of evening up the score a little.

Last edited:

Trish

Mar 18, 2013
Ubud
Ahh of course. That is the problem with acronyms - TBC can have many meanings many of which have nothing to do with this blog. Thanks for your prompt reply.

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
If the number of flights increased more than fivefold, there must have been an more than fivefold increase in the number of aussies going to Bali, so then a sixfold increase in cases of infection is just maintaining the same rate of infection as before, or am I missing something here?

Trish

Mar 18, 2013
Ubud
To tell you the truth I think we are both missing something and this is due to the way the information is being presented - they show stats for the 6 year cycle and then give their findings for the year 2012 without using a variation schedule. I was hoping that someone with better maths than mine would sort it all out

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
This analysis is confusing and totally misleading.

1) The number of flights from WA to Indonesia increased more than five-fold from 2006 to 2012, while during the same period, the number of infected people increased six-fold, from 78 to 1078 (per year). This just shows that nothing has changed: the same percentage of travelers to Indonesia got sick!

2) Is Bali a particular source of thickness compared to the rest of Indonesia? If 90% of the travelers went to Bali, the question is: of the 10% remaining travelers, to the rest of Indonesia, what % of them got sick?

Last edited:

justinbali

Feb 17, 2013
Bali: From 2006 to 2012, the number of cases originating in Indonesia increased six-fold, from 178 to 1078.

There has been a dramatic increase in the number of infectious diseases caught by West Australians when they visit Bali.

A study shows that increased travel to the Indonesian island has resulted in a rising number of serious diseases, such as dengue fever and salmonella gastroenteritis.

WA Health Department researchers say their findings highlight the need for better education of travellers about risks and preventative measures.

Their research found the number of flights from WA to Indonesia increased more than five-fold from 2006 to 2012.

Of all travellers to Indonesia in 2011, 90 per cent visited Bali.

In 2012, a total of 2605 notifiable infectious diseases were acquired overseas by West Australians. Of these, 41 per cent were caught in Indonesia, mostly in Bali.

From 2006 to 2012, the number of cases originating in Indonesia increased six-fold, from 178 to 1078.

Dengue fever was the disease most commonly acquired in Indonesia in 2012, with 415 notifications. This represents 80 per cent of all WA dengue cases.

It was also the disease with the biggest increase since 2006, when there were nine cases.

Other diseases caught in Indonesia in 2012 included salmonella gastroenteritis with 263 cases, campylobacter gastroenteritis with 157 cases, chlamydia with 95 cases and gonorrhoea with 37 cases.

More return from Bali with illness - The West Australian

Schoolies (18 yrs old) and other naive Aussies think that Bali is the same as Oz, only more wild west. They have no clue about condoms, and many get chlamydia and gonorrhoea. Sadly, many more get Aids, HIV positive, because in their drunken haze they fuck any Indonesian whore they meet in a disco in Kuta.

When they have a scooter accident, they expect the same medical service as in Oz. They come from a Nanny State and they are totally unprepared for the raw Bali. Fuck them.