Importing household items from Australia

humbleisgood

Aug 13, 2017
I'm considering shipping some household items from Australia to Bali. Some paintings , small furniture items , some personal items. Nothing of any great value. Has anyone got any knowledge or experience as to whether this is possible and what problems i may havevto deal with , with authorities. I am only on a tourist visa while in Bali , but the consignment would be addressed to a local Balinese resident...... any advice would be appreciated , thank you

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Honestly...I wouldn't do it. Even with a Kitas we had to pay big-time fees for a crockery set my wife shipped. It was a wedding present some 30 years ago and customs still gave us shit. Even if you have law on your side these little uniformed customs guys are looking for everyway to be unhelpful.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
As davita said, it’s not worth the potential hassle.

If you’re only going to be here for two months on a tourist visa, I can’t see what you’d need to import that you couldn’t live without.
“Some personal items”? Send them by Australia Post. Also there is no shortage of small furniture items or paintings in Bali.

I really can’t see the point.

lush4111

Jul 28, 2015
So here's a question - Sorry if I am hijacking your topic humbleisgood - What if you are going to get a KITAS, plan to be staying in Bali for 30+ years and at looking at importing a fair amount of household goods. I am talking about:
- kitchen gear - mixer, blender, tuppaware, cutlery and knives;
- tools - heavy duty tool box, drills, other power tools and heaps of hand tools (spanners, screwdrivers, ratchets etc);
- 4 bicycles;
- 10x pieces of art; and
- King size latex mattress.

Would you still not bother? The only thing is that the purchase of all of these items was probably over $15,000 and to sell and then re purchase in Bali would be an additional cost of approximately $10,000 after I have copped a loss on selling all of the items for a second hand price.

Does any body know what kind of tax would be charged or whether having a KITAS would help. My understanding is that you can bring in household items with a KITAS but don't know about what customs might want to release all of these items.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Re: post #3 by Lush
Legally, with a Kitas/P you are allowed to import personal items free of taxes etc. with some restrictions. You can search but here is an example...
http://www.expat.or.id/info/importregulations-householdgoods.html.

I suggest you ship door to door as that seems to cause the least hassle. We went to the airport to collect our box and that's when the little men see how you are dressed etc. and how much they can screw you for....as happened to my wife and I. We were asked to provide the boarding pass we received on our flight weeks earlier...they insisted even though I had the arrival stamp in our passports...who keeps boarding passes. Didn't matter... they have you by the balls. If it weren't that my wife cherishes her dinner service, given by her ex-work colleagues, that little shit would still be picking bits of plate out of his head.

Reactions: lush4111

humbleisgood

Aug 13, 2017
Honestly...I wouldn't do it. Even with a Kitas we had to pay big-time fees for a crockery set my wife shipped. It was a wedding present some 30 years ago and customs still gave us shit. Even if you have law on your side these little uniformed customs guys are looking for everyway to be unhelpful.

Ok , thanks for the advice Davita

humbleisgood

Aug 13, 2017
JohnnyCool ......Well , i have my reasons , but thanks for the advice on it ....

As davita said, it’s not worth the potential hassle.

If you’re only going to be here for two months on a tourist visa, I can’t see what you’d need to import that you couldn’t live without.
“Some personal items”? Send them by Australia Post. Also there is no shortage of small furniture items or paintings in Bali.

I really can’t see the point.