andreaphysio

Jan 15, 2014
Hi,
can someone please tell me what kind and brends of import alcohol i can find in Bali. Best locals?
I'm also interested in good cheap local wine and also imported..what's the best deal?
Price list?!
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
most brands are available of alcohol
I get my wines from a few umm duty free places when I travel

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
import booze is silly expensive (Johnny W - IDR 650,000) - local wines are silly expensive (Haddon/2Islands - IDR 220k) and bad with the sole exception of Plaga, which is good and daft (not silly) expensive (IDR 150k or home delivered 120k). Beer is the sole solace of 4000+ expats and their weary wives (and happy girlfriends).

Arrack is rat urine strained through the collective dirty washing of a whole village of rice farmers and their cancerous, incontinent friends.

Tuak (palm wine) is worse.

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
Due to import duty, you should expect the imported liquor such as scotch and wine to be at least 100% more expensive than what you can find abroad, the title of "big moslem country" did make things worse.
Just imagine most of Indonesia like the era of prohibition in US but with authorized sellers and importers, they make the prices go crazy and the certified guys is the rich people making profit out of this rules.
Bali is more open but the price is still the same:icon_lol:

andreaphysio

Jan 15, 2014
thank u all, yes i know that alcohol in f... expensive there, i had some local bring me home imported like jim beam for 230k, absolut 250k etc..i'm sure frome black market..some friends told me they can find jim beam for 180k, will see if true.
For me important is finding every brend so i can work in a good way :p
About local wine, nothing tasty and cheap guys?
Local vodka gin and wiskey are shit?
About arak..ya i know it, omg drinking benzin is better :) But i found a place they make arak lime frozen cocktali, wasn't bad i have to be honest..but local alcohol may be dangerous!
Guys thank you i owe you a drink next summer, i will make u try the best and modern drinks ever..I'm sure you've never tried it :p

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
import booze is silly expensive (Johnny W - IDR 650,000) - local wines are silly expensive (Haddon/2Islands - IDR 220k) and bad with the sole exception of Plaga, which is good and daft (not silly) expensive (IDR 150k or home delivered 120k). Beer is the sole solace of 4000+ expats and their weary wives (and happy girlfriends).

Arrack is rat urine strained through the collective dirty washing of a whole village of rice farmers and their cancerous, incontinent friends.

Some of your prices are strange. Hatten (note the spelling) is around 130,000 and is passable (particularly Aga White). Two Islands is around 190,000 (so could be 220,000) and is reasonable. I agree Plaga is pretty good and is more like 140,000. But beer for 4,000 - please explain! I find that after the recent price increases, a small Bintang is around 12,500.

And your denigration of arak (note the spelling) is just absurd. Why don't you try and post useful information?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I consider myself told off Ron. :hopelessness: The 4000+ is the approx number of expats whose "sole solace" it is... not the price. As with all my posts the opinions represented are purely and subjectively my own.

I cannot find invective enough language to describe my abhorrence at having to drink Arak (ta, spelling duly noted) and Tuak and this seems to be a feeling shared by many, including the locals. In all fairness I have heard there are expats that do drink it willingly although I haven't met any recently (except my wife - probably due to who she's married to).

And Ron I also have to admit to never having seen you with an Arak in your hand either? If you have managed to find a way to make it palatable then I personally would vote you in for this years Nobel Booze Prize if you would share that recipe.

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
You can purchase relatively cheap spirits under the name of 'Robertson' (?)...
Arak flavored:
Rum. Tastes like Arak with vanilla extract added.
Vodka? Arak with the Arak flavor filtered out.
Tequila? shudder stay far away form this stuff.
Gin is not too bad in a pinch, if you drink it very cold. I kept mine in freezer.
There was a Vodka I kinda liked called 9 vodka, but I could only find it in the south.
Best prices I found in my area was at Hardey's in Amlapura. I think about 170k IDR liter. Small bottle of same cost as much in Amed.

Interestingly anything in the store labeled "Arak" had premium price for bule tourists.

Local Amed Arak (never had, but some I know who did didn't die) was 50k IDR for large Bintang bottle size.

Last edited:

Peter Ka

Mar 31, 2010
Locally made Vodka 9 (700ml) is around 190k and is very good. Iceland (500cl) is around 100k is is good as well.

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia

At least we agree on something. Arak is indefendably shit and purely the domain of tight arse alcoholics. If economics dictate that arak is the drink of choice - time to pull your head in, have a long hard look at yourself and consider sobriety, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

andreaphysio

Jan 15, 2014
sherm i've tried robinson or robertson..omg..tequila wasn't tequila flavor but not so bad with salt and lime..whisky pure benzin..thanks :)
thanks peter..i'm gonna try local u mentioned..a local sold me absolut, good vodka form me, for 250k, but some people told me now the price is higher :(
Local surfers frind told me thay can find import for a very cheap price..as i said before..jim beam 180k absolut vodka about 200k..does anyone know if it is possible?
They live in bali long time so maybe tey have good contact for everythng..last year i bought a new surf board..they bring me in a local company..4 milion, handcraft, i think is a very good price..and sure they get some commission :p
Local and import good wine, how much and where guys?
One more thing..i saw u are all so gentle..italian pasta..i bought barilla in careffour 25k..500 gr..not so bad price..but homemade pasta? i ask couse i have a frind that wanna move to bali and can make homemaid pasta for a cheap price..so if someone knows the average price and also if anyone sell it..would be grat..
thank u all!!!