I would like to make this forum

Lothar

Nov 16, 2002
Malaysia
more interesting to tourists and travellers. Yes, we do have nice discussions here, but that's not enough to interest those who come and go.
May I suggest that we open a 'Bali Tips and Tricks' section and contribute as much as we can to that?

Topics like:

a) what should you do if police stops you with your rented car
b) what should you do if you cause an accident
c) where to get emergency help when you are wounded in an accident or bar brawl?
d) what to do in case of a bill dispute with your hotel?
e) what to do if you have been cheated on a purchase and want a refund?
f) what should you do if you loose your passport?

etc.

There are a million of issues highly interesting to tourists apart from 'where to stay' and the like.
If done well, this forum can become a well frequented place for those who want to learn more.

What do you think? :?:

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
This forum

This forum originally had a "Travel Forum". Gloria and I decided to drop it because we don't want to walk in the way of the BTF, wich is quite suited for the job, and later CCL needs the BTF for exposure as well...

So if you (or we) can find a form, that is not like the existing travel fora, (and that is possible with this type of forum) it maybe is a good idea.

Gloria

Nov 5, 2002
Travel tips

Yes Lothar,we could use a tips column,not necessarily on travel but on the peculiarities of Bali.....e.g. what to do if.......rental cars...??? money changers ??? guarantees??? house hunting.....swaps....land purchase...visas...off the beaten track.....etc..etc... there are many topics we could choose from....what do other posters think...??? G...

Lothar

Nov 16, 2002
Malaysia
Yes

exactly like I proposed may be.

Bali Tips & Tricks

I don't see us aping the BTF this way. Such a place is actually really missing. You got my point Gloria :)

I would be grateful if this could start by proposing topics here. We could then start the Forum with these topics already opened, so contributors can add to each thread. That would suite this form of Forum?

lise

Nov 6, 2002
Wasn't this forum created for people who live in Bali to connect and discuss things pertaining to living there? If it becomes a travel forum then it will lose it's intimacy and focus and will become prey to random browsers looking to inflict their opinions...Just a thought...

By the way, my friend is visiting from Bali and boy am I getting a tutorial...the good, the great, the bad, and the ugly. I'll share some stories and surely have many questions for all of you once he's gone.

Ringo

Tips & Tricks

This is 'an sich' a good idea. IMHO a forum is not neccessary, chances are that in the end it will be just another copy of a travel forum.

On this forum here the majority of the members are either expats or people thinking about becoming one. People that already built up a wealth of experience, a wealth of information on various subjects.

CCF already offers insight in 'the other side' of Bali, so why don't we form an expert(expat)team that answers in a special section the sent in questions of readers? Just make a special CCF email account to receive such questions.

Sort of Letter to the Editor idea.

Just a thought

Vincent OG

Nov 29, 2002
Bali
What Another Poster Thinks

Gloria asked what do other posters think. OK, here goes ………..

“I want to make this forum more interesting to tourists and travellers” ……….. With respect, I disagree. Plenty of Forums exist for travellers/tourists. No need to replicate.

“We could use a tips column on the peculiarities of Bali” ……. I agree & Gloria’s suggested topics are a good starting point.

“Wasn't this forum created for people who live in Bali to connect and discuss things pertaining to living there?” …….. I hope so and I hope we can keep this as the principal function.

“Why don't we form an expert(expat)team that answers in a special section the sent in questions of readers?” ………… Yes, I agree but I also have an alternative suggestion.

Why doesn’t this Forum start to build an on-line manual of Living In Bali. Initially, this would have lots of holes but the info could be added to we go along. This would be really useful to aspiring expats and would prevent the same old questions being repeatedly asked. Travellers & tourists might find it interesting too. This doesn’t exist at the moment. As part of my preparations for moving to Bali, I have been gathering info on a whole load of topics, principally from the tourist forums and the Jakarta Post archives. It has been a long and tedious exercise. Lots of useful info exists out there in cyberspace. It just needs to be pulled together, checked for accuracy/relevance and indexed. For such a resource to be under the auspices of CCL could be a great advertisement for Miss G’s work.
I appreciate this if different to what was originally suggested in this thread, but Gloria asked what do other posters think so there you are.
I’m happy to contribute if there is a reasonable level of interest.

Gloria

Nov 5, 2002
This Forums Role

Tending to agree with Vincent OG, my feeling is this...Bali has the Bee Tee Eff...as a travel forum and they are needed in that role...we are a little different...an expat forum...full of advice, been there done that type of stuff and highly useful that is...lets not converge on the paths of others and lets stick to what we know and as I see it, thats who we are ...a group of experienced people who have something to offer those who are deeply interested in Bali, no matter the reason...we will all find stimulation from each other...it is a thought provoking forum with like minded members....it will evolve to where it should be as the questions change and a trail is opened. I will try to steer it to be a hive of unusual information....which it already is...a "library of knowledge"...and it will grow at its own pace with the richness of its members and offer its "books" to the World....G...

Lothar

Nov 16, 2002
Malaysia
Sure

as more you add as better it will become. Maybe you misunderstand a bit what I meant with travellers and tourists, i.e. equalling my proposal to become a travel forum - but never mind. What you propose is good as well.

Still I think these topics should get a special forum, as it will be much easier to search them out for newcomers here.

juskiff

Nov 15, 2002
Tampaksiring, Bali
Matters pertaining to expat .

Love the idea of having a section regarding matters pertaining to expat giving advice or assisting anyone who is or is considering living in Bali. Legal matters, land purchase, visas will no doubt be on top of the priority list.

marcia

Nov 5, 2002
Great Idea

I think the type of question/answer section Lothar and Gloria suggest is a very attractive & helpful idea for expats and tourists.
Have never seen on any travel or expat forum, a section just for these type of questions. Either have to search through a heap of chatter or ask and hope like hell someone will just happen to see the question at the time, & know the answer.
This type of section doesn't turn your forum into a tourist one- although to state the obvious, all expats were once tourists- but it does make it a lot more user friendly.

xpat2b

Nov 16, 2002
California
On-line expat manual

Like Gloria, I tend to agree with Vincent. I think some sort of on-line manual is an excellent idea, accompanied by practical comments by folks who have "been there, done that". Vincent and I are at similar points in the process of moving to Bali, and he has been incredibly helpful with finding information from a variety of sources out there in cyberland. What we both need in addition, is the hands-on experience of those who have actually done these things. It's one thing to know what the laws and regulations actually are (difficult enough in Bali), but another entirely to know how they are actually implemented and enforced. One example is land leasing -- I'm amazed at how many different opinions there are on what the law allows re: length of a lease. Having been through the process I am an expert on how our specific process went, but I'm sure others have an entirely different take on it.

Re: lost passports. Unfortunately, Susan and I are also experts on this topic, since ours were stolen last trip and we had to replace them while in Bali. Remember, it's not only the passports that must be replaced, it's also the tourist visa (which we kept inside our passports) that must be replaced - a separate process entirely.

The on-line manual is a good idea, and people could of course always post questions regarding material they have seen in the manual, or questions regarding what they don't see in the manual. I would be a willing contributor to those topics with which I have first-hand experience.

I really wouldn't worry about competition with the BTF. This is for a different audience, even though there is certainly some overlap.

Dennis

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Re: Very good

Lothar said:
so, who starts? Which is the first topic? Where is the "Bali Tips&Tricks" Forum?

Hee Hee, who said there is going to be one ?

I say, no "competition" with travel fora, If it is about tips and tricks for expats, and static, fine with me, but Gloria has the final word in this.

Static means that somebody has to compile, and it will have a permanent place on the site. People can react to it on the expat forum.

Lothar

Nov 16, 2002
Malaysia
and I said

it won't be a competition, because it's a very subject-specialized forum. If you place it in expat no one will find anything after a while. Just as I see it :)

Gloria

Nov 5, 2002
Hints and tips and things.

O.K. if I have the final say...here it is...I believe a section for hints/tips etc...would not be in competition with the Bee Tee Eff, especially if it a question and answer theme. As so many have said, this forum is not about the tourist industry but an informative forum on living in Bali, offering titbits of knowledge from those who have the necessary experience to give the answers. If we don't know we''ll find out. So, as a hint to anyone who has had the misfortune of losing ones passport...keep many photo-copies of all documents and put them separate to the originals. Most offices and police will accept a photocopy if needed, also it makes it much easier to obtain a new passport if you have a photocopy....So, thats the first hint....anymore to follow ? Fire away and have some fun....G...