Gozer

Jul 1, 2013
Denpasar, Bali
I searched the forum but didn't come up with any answers. Basically, my kindle died on me and I need a kindle. It isn't even a want sort of thing it is a need like food and water. Anyway, I manage a work around on the ip issues by just connecting to my brothers account and paying him to buy me the books I want but it is dead now. Is there anywhere I can buy a new one or does anyone know a place that repairs them? I would have my brother mail me one but my experiences with the post office have not been great thus far. I am not in the mood to buy some random mail worker a new kindle or to have them extort me with import tax so buying it locally would be my preferred option if possible.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I share your misery - one of my recurring nightmares, a broken kindle... I'd actually rather break an arm, that would heal.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Since they are not sold here, I think it would be difficult to find someone to do repairs. Have you tried resetting it? Hold the power button for 30 secs and it should reset itself. You could try finding a second hand one for sale. Another option would be to buy an Android tablet and install the kindle software on it. I have heard Amazon are pretty good about replacing broken Kindles so you should be able to get it replaced, but it would be unlikely they will ship it to Indonesia.

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
Buy a new one from Singapore ... get a cheapie flight to Batam and take the ferry over... then you see what you are buying ... lotsa bargains in the pre holiday sales... and also you'l avoid the shipping/import guff... just don't carry it through customs still store wrapped...

Kindle Amawank Paypal ... yada yada yada ... tossers... they all treat Indo IPs as potentail Nigerian Princes ... oh an just for the record ... my books are available in all formats DIRECT from me ... sorry 'moi'... except with CNY looming me printer has stopped taking calls...again... nothing to do with OP but when opportunity comes knockin' ...

Gozer

Jul 1, 2013
Denpasar, Bali
I saw on another expat site I used to frequent that some guy had some and was trying to sell them. It was about a year ago, of course before mine died, and everyone jumped on him insulting him and whatnot. I could really use someone like that now. I will say this if I have to go to Singapore for a kindle I am going to pick up more than one so that I can sell them off to pay for the trip and effort.
What happened to it is I had it on top of my desk and the maid knocked it to the floor. At first the screen was all wacky so I reset it now it just wont turn on at all. It has taken falls before so I don’t know if this was one fall to many or if it landed just right. If I had any skill with this stuff I would open it up and try to see what I can do myself but sadly I am inept when it comes to electronics.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
It's history Gozer - in a quiet moment go out to your garden or the ocean and place it gently to rest, remembering all the lovely times and places you've been together. Once your bottom lip stops trembling straighten your shoulders, wipe the tears from your eyes, take a deep breath and act like a man again.

Presuming that you are one, that is.

Gozer

Jul 1, 2013
Denpasar, Bali
I will miss it but you are right it is time to stop living in the past I need to move on it is like they say, there are plenty of kindles in the store (not these stores but hypothetical stores).

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
There is always a solution Gozer ... have you tried those things made of paper where you turn the pages manually? A pretty archaic concept but it just may catch on...

Gozer

Jul 1, 2013
Denpasar, Bali
Joe... I have no idea what good paper would do me in a situation like this. Am I supposed to start a fire or wrap up my kindle or something? I don't get it. I will see if I have any paper but I am not sure what good it will do.

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
Joe... I have no idea what good paper would do me in a situation like this. Am I supposed to start a fire or wrap up my kindle or something? I don't get it. I will see if I have any paper but I am not sure what good it will do.

...hint ... Borders, Watermans, WH Smith, Barnes and Noble, ....libraries

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
The only bookstores I know are Periplus and some second hand bookstores. Periplus has a few best sellers, but the range is pretty limited.

I was quoting generic to direct the OP to real books ... which of course he knew anyway as he was being mildly facetious in his response ... if I had said 'Periplus' not many of the international vistors would have 'got it' ...

... once based on Bali I will be setting up a few 'off the radar' things regarding books and reading... I cannot use Kindle or any ebook formats whatsoever and judging by feedback to my publisher/distributor a lot of other people feel the same way
I can't concentrate on the device being used, for me it is just not the same as holding a book in my hands, turning the pages, flicking back and forth for reference points or quotes... then stacking the items on shelves to browse and pick up at random when the mood takes me.

I know a lot of those facilities are available on Kindles etc. but it just doesn't work for me.

Last edited:

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
You will be surprised at how quickly those wonderful paper books turn into smelly, fungisy compost in Bali's humidity.

I hear you... Batam has overall less humidty than Bali ... and less humility as well mainly due to the fact a lot of people consider the place merely an extension of Orchard Towers...

Some books are smelly, fungisy compost straight off the shelves... just about anything from Sidh@rt@ Press for starters... collections of worn out urban legends and rumours scanned and copied from the internet then packaged with lurid covers... even found one of my short stories repeated there and when they were taken to task regarding copyright quoted that they were given the manuscript in 'all good faith' so I demanded payment in 'all good faith' ... so far bugger all!

Gozer

Jul 1, 2013
Denpasar, Bali
I understand where you are coming from Joe. I got my kindle as a Christmas gift a few years back and it stayed in the box for quite some time. I was unwilling to give up my physical books. The first time I tried to use it I gave up after a couple of "pages" it was just weird. I didn't like the weight or the feel. I read another book I had waiting for me. Eventually, I had read up my backlog of books and was forced to read on the kindle or buy more books. I decided to give it another try. By the time I finished the first book I was in love. I am not 100% sure what changed but something did and now I find physical books clumsy, easily damaged etc... but the biggest thing was the ease with which I can bring as many books as I want in my pocket. The exception is instruction manuals, textbooks, and the like. I need a physical copy for those.

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
...point taken... and happy pages to those that are 'converted' ... my expublisher was absolutely adamant that real books were a thing of the past and insisted on going all out on ebooks... despite the fact that my type of book is mainly aimed at the likes of travelers and holiday makers who tend to 'impulse buy' in airports where the cover is a major part of the selling package... which is where we had a bit of a falling out as the cover they wanted to go with looked like it had been designed by a particularly inattentive ten year old in the middle of a 'sugar rush'... they also dismissed Singapore and Bangkok Airports as being 'full of foreigners' ....errrrrrr hello