jiker69

Dec 5, 2016
No sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes. After reading many posts here, it is best to look around at the different areas before settling on one to live for a month or more. Could someone give suggests for that mode of transportation. I really don't want to drive a car but I know how to ride a scooter, yes I know Bali is like no other place I've ridden a scooter before. Hiring a driver doesn't really seem practical. Help please.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Just be careful on a scooter. It's the most likely cause of serious injury and most travel insurance policies won't cover you if you don't already have a motorcycle licence from your home country.

hadodi

Nov 8, 2013
NE Bali
I live around 70km from Denpasar and when I have to do a big shopping there I do not drive myself but have a reliable very good driver. I pay him 150k and do not run any risk

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Actually driving in Denpasar is pretty easy. Even I can manage to control myself, the car and the music on the stereo at 5 to 10 kmh which is about as fast as it goes there. Outside of he capital just go really fecking fast - the locals see you coming and are terrified enough to keep out of your way.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Actually driving in Denpasar is pretty easy.
You're joking,(again) right?

Denpasar is a large area. For example, Sanur is a suburb. Kuta just misses out from west of the Sunset Road.
...Even I can manage to control myself, the car and the music on the stereo at 5 to 10 kmh which is about as fast as it goes there.
Yeah - maybe on a "quiet" day, stuck in a traffic jam. Other ("normal") times it's like participating in an F1 road race.
...Outside of he (sic) capital just go really fecking fast - the locals see you coming and are terrified enough to keep out of your way.
Maybe, if they see you coming, they might. Wouldn't count on it.
I understand that you're lonely, somewhat isolated and have a weird sense of humour. None of that entitles you to give silly suggestions on how to drive in Denpasar (IMHO).

:icon_eek:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Only partly joking and the point of my post stands. Driving in DPS is a pain anywhere now - it's gridlock from The statue at Sanur in all directions and the only place you can usually drive with any speed is the toll road. I go through the ****hole about once a week.

Johnny I'm guessing your Zimmer frame has racing stripes on it and that you are scared by the drivers here.

jiker69

Dec 5, 2016
It's all good! I love the humor and of course the seriousness. I've never been to Bali, it will all be an experience to me. October of this year I will visiting for as many months as possible. The VISA hassle sounds like a pain but I'm confident I can get thru that. I can't stand the weather in Northern Nevada anymore. I haven't seen the sun for weeks. Thank you everyone for the advice.

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
I've been driving in Bali for a lot of years and have had some near misses. It's not for the faint-hearted and requires you to have some good skills, including not losing your temper at the multitude of idiots you will encounter. Firstly, although the Balinese have a reputation as being happy, easy-going and tolerant people, this does not apply when they get behind the wheel or handlebars. They transform into the rudest, most obnoxious a*seholes you are ever likely to encounter on a public road. Secondly, Balinese are congenitally incapable of reversing a car - don't ask me why, it is just a fact of life. A unique road ruie you should be aware of: in other countries (Aus, UK for example) when a driver flashes his lights at you in normal driving conditions he usually means he is giving you the right of way, being polite in other words. Not in Bali. If an oncoming driver flashes his lights at you it means "I am coming through no matter what, I will not stop for anything and you better keep out of my way". And of course, if you are unfortunate enough to have an accident, it is always your fault. This is not just an anecdotal observation, it is the truth. Having a prang in Bali is not something you want to have happen to you, insurance or no insurance.

Hire a driver.

Regards
Sam

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
And one other thing. If you do hire a driver and he has an accident, stay in the car (assuming you are not already dead or lying broken on the road). Don't get out and get involved. Let the driver handle it. Better still, make a quiet getaway when nobody is looking.

Oh yes, forgot to mention. They drive on the right side of the road by which I mean the left. If you are used to the other side, it adds to already numerous problems you will face if you decide to drive yourself, car or scooter.

Last edited:

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
There has been some great advice posted here for you jiker69 but I would advise you not to go searching for accom' on a 'sepida motor'.
A scooter or motor bike is great for getting around and scoping different areas but if you are specifically looking for accom' then I would go for the hired car and driver. You do need your wits about you when in control of a vehicle on Balinese roads. Check out sites like Bali Long Term Rentals or check out the notice boards outside places like Bintang supermarket. Best of all have faith in your new found Balinese friends and their connections. Most Balinese and Indonesians are genuine folk and only too willing to help.

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
There has been some great advice posted here for you jiker69 but I would advise you not to go searching for accom' on a 'sepida motor'.
A scooter or motor bike is great for getting around and scoping different areas but if you are specifically looking for accom' then I would go for the hired car and driver. You do need your wits about you when in control of a vehicle on Balinese roads. Check out sites like Bali Long Term Rentals or check out the notice boards outside places like Bintang supermarket. Best of all have faith in your new found Balinese friends and their connections. Most Balinese and Indonesians are genuine folk and only too willing to help.

Especially when you get through the arrival hall and start talking with a American accent how this is your first time to Bali.

I am SURE the folks will be willing to help.....

themselves to your wallet as you are Walking ATM

Cheers
Ken

davita

Mar 13, 2012
There is no doubt there are touts in Indonesia but, in my experience, no worse than anywhere in Asia. I've been to Penang, Kuala Lumpur and Pattaya where the taxi touts, and others, were much more aggressive than in Jakarta or Bali.

I took an Indian taxi driver from Gurney Drive in Penang to the airport and he ran out of petrol a half-mile before the terminal...we had to walk carrying our bags.

Recently been to Pattaya on a cruise ship where the taxi cost US$100 for a round-trip to the beach. It should have been half but gangsters control the cruise port tourist and taxi business.