lilamanta

Jul 8, 2013
Hello,

I've been reading in this forum about drivers licenses for almost an hour and I'm getting really confused with all that conflicting advice.

My question is, I'm here on a social visa and I only have my german drivers license and I'd like to rent a car for a while. The only way to get an internation license for me is to go in person to my hometown. As I understand with my type of visa I'm only elgible for a tourist driver license valid for one month. Is it possible to get one that allows me to drive a car?
Where do I need to go, what documents should I bring and what should it cost?

Thanks,
l

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
you can only get a tourist license for 30 days for a scooter. a car license is not available for a voa or sosbud visa holder.
Find a way to get your german license to become an international license

kiteman

Sep 13, 2013
. The only way to get an internation license for me is to go in person to my hometown.
l

International Driving Licenses are usually issued by motorists organisations and are not connected to the country's official Driving Licence Authority. They are only valid as long as your national licence is valid and you should carry both.

As a British subject living in Australia I had to post my British Driving Licence back to England every year and get my Mum to get me an International Driving Licence in order to ride a motorbike in Indonesia. I did this for many years until she died and I got an Australian bike licence. I now get a new IDL every year through the Royal Automobile Club in Australia. It's a pain in the ass as they don't do 3 or 5 year licences. It costs Aus$35.50 now.

The RAC has a connection with the AA in England who appear to be the origin of the licences. So, check your major drivers association in Germany and ask them if you can do it by mail with a photocopy of your German Licence. If not, don't worry too much but just carry your German licence and some cash to pacify the Police. It is rare to pay more than $5 or possibly $10 bribe for this "offence". It is a way of life in SE Asia and many other countries but it is a bit uncomfortable as the cops carry guns! Remember to smile politely and NEVER get angry. Don't spoil your holiday for a small number of dollars. The bribes will probably cost you less than the Licence!!

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
If not, don't worry too much but just carry your German licence and some cash to pacify the Police. It is rare to pay more than $5 or possibly $10 bribe for this "offence". It is a way of life in SE Asia and many other countries but it is a bit uncomfortable as the cops carry guns! Remember to smile politely and NEVER get angry. Don't spoil your holiday for a small number of dollars. The bribes will probably cost you less than the Licence!!

True, but you might wanna check if your health insurance will cover you in case of an accident while driving around without valid drivers license.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
True, but you might wanna check if your health insurance will cover you in case of an accident while driving around without valid drivers license.

same if you not have a legal license from indo . No voa or sosbud holders can have a indo car license and are only allowed a 30 day tourist scooter license.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I used to renew my International Driver's Permit with the Royal Automobile Club of Western Australia by mail.
I used the RACWA because it was cheaper than the RAC's in the eastern states. I was staying in Indonesia on Social Visas.

The current costs are $35.50 for the permit, plus $4 airmail postage ($15 registered mail). The application form is available on its website.
Also required are a passport-sized photo, a copy of your passport, a statement of your return date, and a photocopy of your current driver's licence. That's it. Usually arrived in Indonesia within 7-10 days.

I know nothing about car clubs in Germany but would be very surpised if something similar was not available.

I would definitely not recommend getting an under-the-table one from anybody, (including the police).
If you get involved in an accident (your "fault" or not), you'll end up paying a lot more.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
I would definitely not recommend getting an under-the-table one from anybody, (including the police).
If you get involved in an accident (your "fault" or not), you'll end up paying a lot more.

Regardless whether it is under or above table, both are the identical same legal license.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
not to your international health/ travel insurance

Hmm, ok. I am talking about a drivers license issued by the police and not a fake license.

So you are suggesting that the insurance company will get in touch with the Poltabes to verify that the license was issued with all required paperwork?

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
So you are suggesting that the insurance company will get in touch with the Poltabes to verify that the license was issued with all required paperwork?

Probably. Many insurance companies make you jump through cartwheels before they pay up.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
When I went to get my licence, men came running from everywhere saying I can take the test for you boss. My wife said just go inside & try, as I walked in the general came out of he's office and said mister come in, were you from. He tried to speak good english and told everyone I was he new best friend, fifteen minutes later he took me to the front of the line & had my finger prints & photo taken, then back to the office. Coffee & some more chit chat & licence finished, so no written or driving test, so is it a legal or illegal licence???.
There is a test track for cars & bikes here in Surabaya & nobody seem to be passing there test, I really wanted to do the test, it looked like fun.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
What you, Fred2, described happens in Bali, too.

Now, you didn't mention what kind of visa you are on.
As others have pointed out, you are not allowed to get a licence to drive a car in Indonesia if you have a tourist, business, or social visa.
Your Surabaya licence may well be "legal", up to a point. If you're involved in a serious accident and there's an investigation which discovers your're on the wrong visa to have that licence, that would spell more trouble for you.

The same applies to any travel insurance company you might be using (or local insurance companies if you include insurance as an option when you rent a car).

Obtaining an International Driver's Permit is extremely easy in Australia, so why would anybody in their right mind want to sit around with a police "general", drinking coffee?
Like, why the fuck bother with all the hassle just for a free cup of coffee?

We all know that many police are corrupt here. They don't give a stuff about what happens to you later in a bad-case scenario.
In a bad situation here, the police will hold all the cards to protect themselves. They can rort the system better than you any day of the week.
Do you get that?

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
We all know that many police are corrupt here. They don't give a stuff about what happens to you later in a bad-case scenario.
In a bad situation here, the police will hold all the cards to protect themselves. They can rort the system better than you any day of the week.
Do you get that?

The Dutch guy did a pretty good job at making Bali traffic police look ridiculous on YouTube as well as airport customs. If they issue legal drivers licenses without collecting proper paperwork then they will ultimately bear responsibility. After all it's the police's job to explain what is needed to get a license.

Anyways, I didn't know that you could only have a motorbike license on a tourist visa so thank you for sharing that.

Last edited: