JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hello to all,

I have a eight month old Golden Retriever who never
leaves the house as he has a medical condition...

I use Advocate on him every 4 weeks to control fleas and ticks etc etc..
Puppy has no fleas or flea bites on him but I can't control the ticks...

I know ticks love humidity and are seasonal, but can anyone give me some
advice or ideas on how to control these ticks...
I've had three Balinese street dogs in the last few years. Two died from tick poisoning, and the other one was stolen (maybe for a Warung RW = dog sate place).

The two that died were regularly visited by a vet (from Ubud), who, in retrospect, was totally incompetent. At one time, she injected insecticide for a skin condition.

My current dog is a pure Beagle (about 7 months old now). We use Frontline and he seems OK with that (Beagles can be very sensitive to all kinds of medications).

As for removing any ticks, I don't believe that stressing the tick out works very well (it might cause the tick to inject more poison into the dog). The same goes for trying to pull the tick out.
I think the "correct" procedure is to cut the back off and leave the head part intact.

There are many different kinds of ticks. Not all of them are life-threatening. Personally, I don't know how tell the difference.

Like others have said, it's next to impossible to control ticks. You might have ticks in your garden. I would suggest checking your dog physically everyday and removing any ticks you find.
Plus, use something like Frontline drops and/or a tick/flea collar.

I hope your not-too-well friend gets better soon.

:angel:

Lea

Jun 11, 2012
Joji...Yes Freo deloused the Cats, and oh what a game it was...

One week to recover then a Preliminary game in Perth, and then WOO HOO the grand final...

FREO FOR PREMIERS...!!

Dunaden

Nov 18, 2012
Noosa Heads
Joji...Yes Freo deloused the Cats, and oh what a game it was...

One week to recover then a Preliminary game in Perth, and then WOO HOO the grand final...

FREO FOR PREMIERS...!!

Only if the people who run Hawthorn are Balinese and they take a bribe :p like we did yesterday.

Lea

Jun 11, 2012
You were mangled and mauled...

Such a sore loser....

Typical male...!!

Dunaden

Nov 18, 2012
Noosa Heads
Has anyone seen or heard from our little Docker Lea-last thing I Know of she was checking out No Idea's Crustaceans? :( and I think he'd got some type of skewer ready for her on the BBQ?

Lea

Jun 11, 2012
Alex...

Marley's Haemobartonellosis is now under control due to his medication...

Red blood cells are increasing, he still has Anemia and that will continue throughout his life..

Regular blood tests are needed every six months to make sure his red cells are at a acceptable level..

Thanks to everyone for their help on this thread..

Lea

Jun 11, 2012
Dunaden, Still haven't been around to No Idea's abode..

Just the thought of his crustaceans and cats skewers causes great concern..

FREO AND SYDNEY.....WOO HOO...

Anyone have enough balls/ovaries ( Markit's words ) to place bets on the game....!!!