Gago

Jul 16, 2014
Hi everyone,
I have no religion that I practice but I am Muslim born I would say and want to marry my Protestant Indonesian girlfriend.

I will be the one to convert to protestant, and need to find a church that would help me on the process of convertion get the paper to attest that I am christian. Do you know any church that would be flexible with my request, as the convertion is for the sole purpose of the marriage as we need to have the same religion on paper ?

I live in the Seminyak area, a church in the south would be suitable : Denpasar, Seminyak, Legian, Kerobokan, Kuta, Jimbaran

Thank you so much
Gago

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Why would anyone living in a 98% Muslim country convert to Christian just to get married?

Seems like madness to me unless you don't plan on living here. If that is the case then go get married there as what you are.

In our world it's not very safe to do what you are planning and it may not be a massive problem here YET but it could turn into one later.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Re: post #1 & 2

To be married in Indonesia it is the law that both partners need to be of the same religion. The only recognised religions in RI are....Islam; Catholic; Protestant; Hindu; Buddhism; Confucianism.

There is a Protestant church (GPIM Ekklesia) located on the road, parallel to the airport road, between the roundabout and the airport...close to the the big mosque.

BestofBali

Nov 9, 2016
Kerobokan
Hi everyone,
I have no religion that I practice but I am Muslim born I would say and want to marry my Protestant Indonesian girlfriend.

I will be the one to convert to protestant, and need to find a church that would help me on the process of convertion get the paper to attest that I am christian. Do you know any church that would be flexible with my request, as the convertion is for the sole purpose of the marriage as we need to have the same religion on paper ?

I live in the Seminyak area, a church in the south would be suitable : Denpasar, Seminyak, Legian, Kerobokan, Kuta, Jimbaran

Thank you so much
Gago

Hey Gado,

I'm sure my local staff member can point you in the right direction :)

Her names Yanti from Bali Brides Wedding Planner email is: weddings@balibrides.com.au

I'll let her know you will be in contact :)

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Re: post #1 & 2

To be married in Indonesia it is the law that both partners need to be of the same religion. The only recognised religions in RI are....Islam; Catholic; Protestant; Hindu; Buddhism; Confucianism.

There is a Protestant church (GPIM Ekklesia) located on the road, parallel to the airport road, between the roundabout and the airport...close to the the big mosque.

Didn't know that at all.
So there are no civil ceremonies?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Didn't know that at all.
So there are no civil ceremonies?

There aren't any civil ceremonies and it's still mandatory that both partners are 'recorded' as having the same religion....but the marriage is recorded in a civil registry.

I've never heard of an Indonesian not having a lavish Church, Mosque or Temple wedding. It is a huge part of Indonesian culture to spend on weddings then mortgage themselves to pay for it...it's a big face-save deal.

Within my own in-law family there are many who changed religion just to get married. There is only one distant nephew where this has caused conflict as his wife has become so Jilbab-Muslim she will not attend her husband's family get-togethers with christian prayers...or wish anyone Merry Xmas.

They know I'm actually agnostic but I've been to all family weddings...Christian, Muslim, Hindu and a very unusual Batak (Protestant with a twist) where they come prepared with tupperware to take all the food home...:icon_rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

hadodi

Nov 8, 2013
NE Bali
Why not get married in Darwin? Then you get the certificate translated and authorised here in Indonesia. Go to Kantor sivil and get your Indonesien Married Certificate.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Why not get married in Darwin? Then you get the certificate translated and authorised here in Indonesia. Go to Kantor sivil and get your Indonesien Married Certificate.

How easy, or difficult, is it for Indonesians to get visas to visit Darwin to get married....and how long does it take to be eligible to marry there?

hadodi

Nov 8, 2013
NE Bali
It depends what nationality you are. For us it was very easy. I know in Darwin a civil servant who performs legal marriages. You get the Certificate within 2 days and get it translated here and legalized by your embassy. Then to Kantor sibil and there they issue the Surat

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Fact Check: about 87% of Indonesians identify as Muslim.

I'm sorry Ron but you're wrong it's 87.2% or 42,000 more people than you mention, a sizable city in Indonesia and probably an entire county in Oz.

Remember the days when it was possible to mention something in passing to make a point without having to be too finicky about the details?

I still live there.

Reactions: Nakal