bakung

May 4, 2011
From the 1st of the month to the 3rd /4th just do any fecking thing/way you want as they have just got the salary, but from then onwards until the end of the month they are bankrupt and are looking to collect the donations to see them through, understandable i suppose :icon_wink:

dav733

Dec 29, 2016
From the 1st of the month to the 3rd /4th just do any fecking thing/way you want as they have just got the salary, but from then onwards until the end of the month they are bankrupt and are looking to collect the donations to see them through, understandable i suppose :icon_wink:
I was in bali recently pulled over for wheel over white line at intersection,,he wanted 250k rp,,,had just bought lunch and petrol so only had 80krp ,,and said ok I will go to court immediately his attitude changed ,,,then he spotted my oakley sunnies said he would have them too,,,they were from thailand and cost me 5aud!!!!,,,another thing dont carry your passport ,,,as sometimes they want that as well,,,no wallets with all your cash in it,,,I have a man bag with licence and small amount of cash in it,,,keep most hidden away,,beeen 10 times now to bali so i know the traps,,,but of course always have the international licence and helmet ,,,,try not to standout too much,,dont be the first in the line at the lights ,,

BuleNyem

Dec 30, 2017
Ask for the ticket, give up your STNK, go pay at the ticket office. Why do people justify bribing the cops? It's not really a matter of how much you are paying them, it's more the idea of perpetuating the corruption as a whole in the country (and region for that matter). Follow the rules and give them no reason to stop you. That is the best solution!

Reactions: RossM and wepro

dav733

Dec 29, 2016
The corruption is handed to the cops..they are exorbitant amount to qualify to become a cop..and are not paid well.so they have to get it back somehow..not their fault..i have been to Bali 10 times now..hire a scooter each time .always wear Helmet (does any one remember what they were like 20 years ago)and have international licence..obey .the rules best I can .but a blue is fair game..cnr of bypass and turn to sanur..they have a box..i almost missed right turn to sanur and inched forward..my front tyre was half way across the dreaded white line ..and he grabbed me..had no money .he showed me book 250 k to.. or go to court ..as soon as I said ok go to court.his demeanour changed ..ok what have you got..88k and my fake Ray bans from phuket!!!...i have been learning Bali bahasa ..i think that helped..what I am saying is these men don't get paid much .blame the Indonesian government ..not the people trying to eek out a living in Bali.. the only ones I have a big problem with are the crooked money changers..rob you blind if they can..find a good one (honest)then go same place next day different guy and he.s a crook..
But overall.just gotta watch you self ..after 10 holiday there.usually a month ..i am going thru the motions to do the expat thing...i adore/sayang Bali and most of its people..

RossM

Jan 19, 2022
The corruption is handed to the cops..they are exorbitant amount to qualify to become a cop..and are not paid well.so they have to get it back somehow..not their fault..i have been to Bali 10 times now..hire a scooter each time .always wear Helmet (does any one remember what they were like 20 years ago)and have international licence..obey .the rules best I can .but a blue is fair game..cnr of bypass and turn to sanur..they have a box..i almost missed right turn to sanur and inched forward..my front tyre was half way across the dreaded white line ..and he grabbed me..had no money .he showed me book 250 k to.. or go to court ..as soon as I said ok go to court.his demeanour changed ..ok what have you got..88k and my fake Ray bans from phuket!!!...i have been learning Bali bahasa ..i think that helped..what I am saying is these men don't get paid much .blame the Indonesian government ..not the people trying to eek out a living in Bali.. the only ones I have a big problem with are the crooked money changers..rob you blind if they can..find a good one (honest)then go same place next day different guy and he.s a crook..
But overall.just gotta watch you self ..after 10 holiday there.usually a month ..i am going thru the motions to do the expat thing...i adore/sayang Bali and most of its people..

'This thread is a few years old, but experiences are worth recording.

I am inevitably stopped at least once during my couple of weeks in Bali, usually not for an infringement, but a routine stop checking registration and licences. It's now almost three years since I was there, due to covid, but I recall being stopped on Jalan Bypass, everything in order, but the date stamp on my international permit wasn't straight. Rp 50,000 was the price, but I offered him 20,000, no more. He wasn't getting more, and he knew it. The book of fines they show you is not the real fines,something the cops printed themselves.....how could a Balinese EVER afford Rp 250,000??

I hate that corruption exists, but if it means a couple of $$ will see me on my way, I'll pay it. The alternative could have been a long delay while he cooked up some imaginary offence, which is what he did anyway, a 'crooked date stamp'. :mad:

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
'This thread is a few years old, but experiences are worth recording.

I am inevitably stopped at least once during my couple of weeks in Bali, usually not for an infringement, but a routine stop checking registration and licences. It's now almost three years since I was there, due to covid, but I recall being stopped on Jalan Bypass, everything in order, but the date stamp on my international permit wasn't straight. Rp 50,000 was the price, but I offered him 20,000, no more. He wasn't getting more, and he knew it. The book of fines they show you is not the real fines,something the cops printed themselves.....how could a Balinese EVER afford Rp 250,000??

I hate that corruption exists, but if it means a couple of $$ will see me on my way, I'll pay it. The alternative could have been a long delay while he cooked up some imaginary offence.
I haven't been stopped in years.

Not sure why but it might have something to do with the local cops all now me as I stop at their local watering hole to buy supplies regularly and treat them all to a coke or coffee and the cops farther afield recognize the glint of desperado in my watery, bloodshot eyes.

Or possibly I don't look like I could afford IDR50k bribes.

I've also made a habit (which I have recommended with success to other newbies) of when the cops wave at me to pull over I wave back in a most friendly manner and keep right on going.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Just back to the real world after 14 months in Bali, only pulled over once in the whole time when the did the whole re-routing traffic in Delta thing and just said "bisa tarus pak?" and the cop nodded.

Obviously corruption still continues in Indonesia, though I don't think at anywhere near the level in previous years in this thread, especially in Bali the place is barely chugging along through covid (not much different from most of the world)

Last edited:
Reactions: tel522

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
Just back to the real world after 14 months in Bali, only pulled over once in the whole time when the did the whole re-routing traffic in Delta thing and just said "bisa tarus pak?" and the cop nodded.

Obviously corruption still continues in Indonesia, though I don't think at anywhere near the level in previous years in this thread, especially in Bali the place is barely chugging along through covid (not much different from most of the world)
Off thread topic I know but to the real world?
Where is that?

Cheers
Still looking for the real world
Ken

• Haha
Reactions: RossM

RossM

Jan 19, 2022
I arrived back from two weeks in Bali a few weeks back, and this is the FIRST time in 43 years of visiting and riding motorcycles in Bali that I haven't been picked up by police for some perceived breach. In fact, I didn't even see a cop anywhere.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I arrived back from two weeks in Bali a few weeks back, and this is the FIRST time in 43 years of visiting and riding motorcycles in Bali that I haven't been picked up by police for some perceived breach. In fact, I didn't even see a cop anywhere.
Maybe in your old age you've become a law abiding, peaceful member of society? Or maybe you were just lucky.

Reactions: RossM