Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
Iv been picked up by the cops 5 times in the last 2 months for no helmet. Everytime the poilci try get money off me i just tell them to give me a ticket. It dosnt go down to well but so far everytime its been a warning. Although one time i was a bit lucky because my liscence was expired but i just had to call my cop mate and he got me out of it so that was all good

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Iv been picked up by the cops 5 times in the last 2 months for no helmet. Everytime the poilci try get money off me i just tell them to give me a ticket. It dosnt go down to well but so far everytime its been a warning. Although one time i was a bit lucky because my liscence was expired but i just had to call my cop mate and he got me out of it so that was all good

Why would you not wear a helmet? There's an average of 8 traffic deaths a day in Bali alone and that includes tourists. Nearly every motor bike casualty is caused by not wearing a helmet.

I have seen people die on the road from motorbike accidents and had one friend dying from a motorbike accident. I think every Balinese knows at least one person who has died and a lot of long time expats will know people who have died as well.

I hope you don't end up as this guy;

Father cashes in savings and stepfather remortgages house to pay medical bills of Bali motorbike crash victim who had no travel insurance | Mail Online

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
yea i know its not the wisest thing to do. But i only do it around kuta at low speeds. The point of the story was more about asking for the ticket and never recieving one . . .

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
But i only do it around kuta at low speeds. .
Its not the speed which will kill you its the fall . You can fall off that bike when its stationary , and hit your head and still be killed . Anyway ...., knowing that you will be targeted in kuta for not wearing a helmet is enough reason alone to wear one

Dick Rector

Feb 26, 2011
Sanur Bali Indonesia
Not wearing a helmet.

Rangi, by putting this story on a public forum shows how stupid you are by not wearing a helmet. Are you proud of it to be stopped by the police 5 times? You need a docter, not a ticket.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Rangi...no worries, you and thousands of others are doing it..if the majority of people don't wear a helmet then it's 'normal'. and the ones that do, are considered to be crazy :highly_amused:

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
wow i didnt expect so many haters. Usually the cops are all good in kuta i just think over the christmas period they where cracking down on it a bit . Anyway again the point of the strory was not to give the polici money and ask for the ticket and you just get a warning . ..

meerkat

Nov 14, 2011
Ubud
it's not the fall that kills you-it's the sudden stop at the bottom!@

in this case not the speed you are travelling but how fast the car that hits you is

yeah but it;s hot- better to wear a helmet and drive fast to cool down no?

and errm wear jandals?

phil170258

Feb 13, 2011
for an adult not to wear a helmet, that's their own (dumb) choice but when you see a 5yo/6yo kid on the back with no helmet as well (as I do all the time at dropoff time outside my kid's school) that's when my blood boils. just because you're in bali doesn't mean you're suddenly bulletproof. those cigarettes you smoke here cause as much cancer as the cigarettes back home. and when you fall off a bike, it hurts just as much. yes, I agree it is an incredible feeling of freedom to not wear a helmet (especially if you come from a nanny state like australia) but is it really worth it? not sure.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
for an adult not to wear a helmet, that's their own (dumb) choice but when you see a 5yo/6yo kid on the back with no helmet as well (as I do all the time at dropoff time outside my kid's school) that's when my blood boils. just because you're in bali doesn't mean you're suddenly bulletproof. those cigarettes you smoke here cause as much cancer as the cigarettes back home. and when you fall off a bike, it hurts just as much. yes, I agree it is an incredible feeling of freedom to not wear a helmet (especially if you come from a nanny state like australia) but is it really worth it? not sure.

I could not agree more. I once saw a family of three on a bike. The husband, driving the bike, was wearing a helmet. His kid sitting in front between his legs no helmet. His pregnant wife in the back no helmet. And he was driving like a nutcase. If he wasn't so fast I would have stopped him and tell him what an idiot he was but I was driving my car with no way to catch up.

Now, the challenge is to find a high quality children size helmet. THe one I have now for my kid is the best I could find but it is not of the same quality as the adult ones you can buy in Bali or nowhere as good as what you find at home.

Children size helmet in Bali of good quality? Anyone?

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I must say that when I ride up the street for dinner on our Mio I don't wear a helmet & we don't have police in our area so money is not paid. But if I ride on the Scorpio I use a helmet & boots. When I drove to Bali a christmas I must say people with DK plates sure own the roads:icon_mrgreen:, when you cross on the ferry the driving is bad.

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
From a study carried out in Europe, it was concluded that most accidents occur on short journeys and within 2 km of home. So from this it seems better to use a helmet when just going 'down the road' and not worry so much on longer journeys.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I think I read something like that, most accidents happen within 5km of your house. I sure traveling at 10ks per hour I should be ok:icon_mrgreen:.

If driving a motorcycle and not a motorbike, you will need to have your International Driver's License. (IDL). Failure to show one can result in a donation of RPH 10k.:icon_wink: This donation value was valid in 2007. However now as it is 2012, the donation amounts listed above by Peter KA may be more accurate.

My 2 cents worth. Been coming to Bali for 30 years. Drive a car now usually due to the family thing, dont speed, dont run reds, but as a bule driving correctly is no guarantee you will not be targeted.

Rarely ever sucessfully get pulled over, always wear sunnies, when being waved over by police, ignore them, no acknowledgement, keep driving. If they chase and catch, "I didnt see you!"

I used to drive on an international license but over the years it worked out fines were cheaper so now I dont bother. Pay 50K only, come on, its bugger all in the big scheme of things. No way am I going to waste 1/2 day going to police stations/court to argue over the legalities. Corruption is a way of life in the constabulary in Indo and will be until the "pay to be a pig" system ends. Life is too short for a bule to try and fix that issue in Indo....the occasional $6 donation is a small price to pay for being able to spend time in paradise.

Peace out...

Annam

Oct 6, 2011
kerobokan
Hi Fred2! I was following the rules :icon_e_sad: Well i thought i was! I was the only one picked out of lots of riders jumping a red.. When i clearly wasnt! In the middle of lots of bikes going through a green light. Anyway, next time i guess i need to let them take my Int L and head to denpasar to dispute it. :icon_rolleyes:

reminds me when living in Cuba. I was the only driver pulled over in terrible traffic. The police told me that they had to fine me for speaking to my passenger. I looked at them dumfounded, then pointed to all the cars where people were talking in the car. And he said "yes, but I only saw you!!" :unconscious:

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
haha same like here...you get stopped by the police cause you drive without helmet, in the same time at least 20-30 other indo drivers passing all without helmets;
but the police only see you