kabouter

Feb 16, 2011
Well today a friend of mine wanted to go on the back of my scooter but didn't have a helmet (yeah I know it's dangerous and not something I do myself). At one point we got stopped by the police, he showed me the fine in a book which was 250.000. And I said well I don't have that much on me, sadly I only had shorts on with one pocket and 150.000 in it, I managed to let them let me get away with paying 100.000 (I needed the rest for lunch which was true). But still feel like I paid too much.
What is a reasonable bribe?

freetofly

Aug 30, 2010
police and tickets

You don't really expect an answer to this on a public forum, do you? :icon_rolleyes:

Has anyone noticed the big banners in front of police stationed at intersections???

it goes something like this - If you do something wrong with traffic, the ticket is easy to solve. do not offer police recompense.

made me laugh!!! bet the police are happy. I recently went to solve my ticket issue at the courts the magistrate did not turn up - but lucky I had a balinese friend who helped solve my traffic issue for me:icon_e_smile:

Peter Ka

Mar 31, 2010
20k if you are Indonesian 50k for foreignesr. Also, never show them your real wallet or cash, always have 50K and your license in a different pocket. That you can show them.

Vin

Oct 1, 2009
Singapore, Tabanan
20k if you are Indonesian 50k for foreignesr. Also, never show them your real wallet or cash, always have 50K and your license in a different pocket. That you can show them.

FOLLOW THE RULES (as you all would, in the countries you come from)...and you can save all the 20's and 50's and the troubles which tag along

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
FOLLOW THE RULES (as you all would, in the countries you come from)...and you can save all the 20's and 50's and the troubles which tag along
Hear hear! Carry your license and STNK, wear a helmet (and a shirt) and don't go over the front line at intersections... no problem.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Even when following the obvious rules, one can get fined.
brakelight not working properly (the flickering backlight wich every 10th bikey seems to have), not having a cap on the air nozzle and alot more of those little things....

If you're a tourist, just take the ticket...chances are the courtdate will be after you've left :icon_lol:
otherwise Peter Ka is right about the "prices"

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Never been asked for money as I go by the rules. Gilbert are you telling me a policeman has checked you bike? Every policemans dream is a tourist without a license & helmet:icon_mrgreen:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
hahaha...no somehow they wave hello to harley-riders :icon_mrgreen::icon_wink:
but in the first couple of days, new on the Island, I had bought a mio, with a temporary dealer-plate (awaiting the STNK and BPKB to be processed by the samsat)...got stopped by a police-officer (me wearing a helmet and international drivers-license)...but I couldn't speak a word of Indonesian and he couldn't speak English...so after a while he was finished reading a piece of paper wich the lady at the dealer gave me, and 'cheked' the bike...he then pointed to my tires and making a screwing movement with his hands, so that made clear his problem with my bikey :icon_rolleyes:...anyways he showed me some booklet with prices, and it said (if I remember correctly) 45.000...so I just gave him 50 :icon_lol: thinking what's 50K in euro, not even enough to buy a pack of smokes..:icon_lol:

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
When I pull out my international drivers license, they don't even look at it, they just say Ooh Aussie go go go. One time in front of bintang shop they had a road block, talk about funny while checking my paper work they seen two euros with no helmets. They drop my paper work & started running (here comes money) I picked up my paper work & left, to the tune of "I didn't think I had to wear a helmet", can I pay now:icon_mrgreen:

traveler

Mar 20, 2011
I got stopped yesterday for 'running a red'- Although i was in a stream of bikes and plenty were in front of me and plenty were behind me! So im not sure how i was the only one to run the red!! Showed him my Int license and he wanted 500,000. I told him i just didnt have that on me and he accepted 300,000 as he wanted to take my Int license. Is this now the going rate?!! :icon_rolleyes:

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
Sorry buddy but you're a fool, you should have said you only had 50,000 on you and if he didn't accept ask for a ticket. I got stopped here in Singaraja last year and they weren't even interested in money, I would of been happy to pay 50,000 than have to deal with all the admin crap that comes with it. Luckily my friends brother is a cop and helped me out

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I got stopped yesterday for 'running a red'- Although i was in a stream of bikes and plenty were in front of me and plenty were behind me! So im not sure how i was the only one to run the red!! Showed him my Int license and he wanted 500,000. I told him i just didnt have that on me and he accepted 300,000 as he wanted to take my Int license. Is this now the going rate?!! :icon_rolleyes:
This is why police stop westerners, a local would pay 1000-5000Rp so really not worth the effort, but you mister money bags:icon_mrgreen:. Follow the rules & you wont have to pay.

traveler

Mar 20, 2011
Hi Fred2! I was following the rules :icon_e_sad: Well i thought i was! I was the only one picked out of lots of riders jumping a red.. When i clearly wasnt! In the middle of lots of bikes going through a green light. Anyway, next time i guess i need to let them take my Int L and head to denpasar to dispute it. :icon_rolleyes:

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I could not tell you how many times I have sat at the lights waiting, bikes going around & car horns sounding. but the lights are still RED:icon_evil:. The rules only apply to westerners because you have money to pay.:icon_mrgreen:

Tengui

Sep 26, 2010
Canggu
Im surprised most of you guys even stop. Obviously don't mess with the white line if there are police at an intersection. But you know. Don't try and be first. Hang back a bit. Wear a helmet with the strap done up. If you get chased, your on a tiger and you know your way around I don't see any reason to slow down. Take the Hunter S Thompson approach. He will get bored chasing you.

EDIT

Have been chased by police 3 times in 4 years. Don't even have a license... If they get beside you just say "maaf saya mao pulung chepat sekali"

Last edited:

aguirre

Mar 9, 2011
My local indo friends told me thay usually pay 20,000 rp when stopped by police. Quite high price taking into account that for some ppl its their daily income...

Tango67

Jan 28, 2011
Macau
EDIT

Have been chased by police 3 times in 4 years. Don't even have a license... If they get beside you just say "maaf saya mao pulung chepat sekali"[/QUOTE]

It costs millions of rp for these local police to even join the academy so every little bit they get can help pay this back. The whole system is floored and they are just trying to survive within it?