Natasha

Dec 1, 2010
Kerobokan
Internet Positif is blocking random sites on my computer that aren't 'bad' sites, does anyone know how I can change the settings on my computer so I don't have these blocks? I use Telkom Speedy, I have a bunch of different DNS setting from Speedy and also Google, should I erase the Telkom Speedy ones and just keep the Google ones or will this not make a difference?

Gusti

Dec 16, 2011
Welcome to Indonesia, where's majority of the entertainment things are censored :D :D :D

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I have been using Zenmate extension in Chrome and works well without any loss of speed.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Agree with Spicy....I posted a similar question here months ago and was advised to download Zenmate for Google....works great...no 'internet positif' as I believe the VPN is in Hong Kong.
I still use speedy for all other services.

defrag

May 13, 2015
Is the method with changing DNS servers not working anymore? After I change DNS, everything still the same unless I connect to VPN server. Then I can use any other DNS without problems.
Without VPN if I enter even random numbers in DNS fields, all request still can be resolved, so it makes me think that speedy intercept all the DNS requests and forwarding them to their servers.
I've tried to change DNS on my computer and in my router web interface. in both cases result is the same.
Only me have this issue?

VPN is ok but this is solution only for one computer. I'd like to setup my router to use OpenDNS servers so I could to control access to some websites for all devices used in my house.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
At the moment ( and for the last 4 weeks) Bali internet (sim cardy) is total ****e.

Get a brown girl/boyfriend and get off the internet - I will tell you when it's safe to come back.

Then you can send me the girlfriend OK?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Why don't governments realize it is impossible to censor the internet? There are always some kind of work around. Changing the DNS did work for a while, but now you need a VPN or one of those plugins mentioned above to get around the blocks.

defrag

May 13, 2015
I think because in government mostly old enough people who wants to control everything they can but they doesn't understand how internet works.
Even Chinese government failed. It works with regular people who doesn't really want to break the rules but who really want always can find a workaround.
In other words, it's working for loyal citizens who are majority. But I don't think it really has any sense.

So at least now I know that's not me doing anything wrong but it's really doesn't work anymore.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I would suggest deleting Telkom Speedys and just using Googles: 8.8.8.8and 8.8.4.4

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

I have just re-checked this here. Going to thepiratebay.se gets Internet Positif even though I am using 8.8.8.8. But the ZenMate app in Google Chrome by-passes the roadblock effectively. A good thing about Zenmate is it is so easy to turn on and off. So you can turn it on when you want one of the "forbidden" sites, then turn it off for most of your normal activity.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Just a word of caution for those using free VPNs like Hola Unblocker, Zenmate, Browsec, etc.
I have tried those three in the past, and quite a few other ones.

Generally, they do "work", more or less OK, but, they also come with some hidden and unwanted surprises in your operating system. They are not obvious to a casual user, but believe me, they are there.
Look up something like "Zenmate security issues".

When push comes to shove with these "free" browser plugins, ask yourself why and how they can be "free"? Sure, Hola comes with a paid-for version - it might be OK, but when they use sneaky tactics to potentially compromise your system in the first place, why should you trust them with your money?

A much better and safer way, IMHO, would be to try a paid-for, reputable VPN service. There are many. Some that are worth looking into are PureVPN, VPNArea, HideMyAss, etc.
The most expensive ones cost about $100/year. Many have services for one month, six months. Some even for seven days.

Prices vary widely because different companies have different numbers of servers in different countries. Speeds vary also.
Some show you which servers are currently very busy so you can choose a faster one.

As for InternetPositif. What bugs me the most about it is that it blocks some content on perfectly legitimate sites.
For example: "Playing For Change.com" is a wonderful site that promotes music and playing music for people in poor countries.
It also contains fantastic videos of world-wide collaborative recordings of people. Take the old Beatles' song "Imagine".
They start out with the song somewhere or other, then add other people from other countries - suddenly there are three Indian girls singing in a rice paddy in India, a guitarist in Spain, a drummer in Africa, etc.

Those tracks are not done online with cyber wizardry. PFC recordists take state-of-the-art equipment to the various countries.
The final results are usually brilliant.

Now, PFC is not exactly a **** site by any stretch of the imagination. But - their videos are hosted on Vimeo, which InternetPositif blocks.
So - the site comes up, but the video content is blocked.

Stupid and useless paranoia which can be defeated without too much trouble or expense.
Just be careful which free VPN or free anonymiser you go with.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Help me out here oh great wizzard... what "some hidden and unwanted surprises in your operating system" do these insidious programs have?

In your OPERATING SYSTEM?

I think not.

Seems like a chance to plug your favorite site if you ask me...

Check it out on Farcebook: https://www.facebook.com/PlayingForChange

Last edited:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I'll give you one example with respect to Hola Unblocker. Up to you to decide if this is a good or bad thing.

It hooks in to axvlc.dll, which is an ActiveX Plugin/extension used by certain versions of VLC Media Player, iTunes and others. There are many different versions of it.
It's main purpose is to enable playing flash based media with Internet Explorer. That's all well and "good", but It can also be used as a server in IPv4 and IPv6.

A dll file is a dynamic link library with many legitimate uses. If you want to bone up on this, read the following: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/815065
These things are deeply embedded in a computer's operating system and can be difficult to remove/replace if the need arises.

You can see for yourself most of the locations that Hola places in your system by looking at its entries in your Registry.

To do this, you need to get into the Registry, but be very careful. Do not change anything there unless you've backed it up first and know what you're doing.

In Windows 7, go to Start and type regedit. When the screen comes up, make sure that "Computer" is clicked near the top, then click "Edit" (along the top line), then click "Find".

In "Find", type Hola - the searching begins. After each instance, press F3 on your keyboard to continue to the next entry, and so on.
Have "fun", but don't do anything else.

One other thing about free VPNs. Some of them leak your IP address.

BTW. The videos on the Facebook version of PFC are nowhere near as good as on its main site.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thanks for that. Not sure why you care what dlls it uses as it cannot, in fact, change anything in them and all programs running on the pc exchange and use dll files willy-nilly and without us know or caring much about that.

Does Hola work on Internet Explorer too? I ask because I only thought it was for Chrome and if you are using Chrome why, again, would you care what IE dlls are being used?

Best to stay away from the registry unless you want a reason to get a new PC...

I'm not a big worrier about PC privacy. Fact is if someone wants into your web-attached pc they will get in. There are tools enough and psychological hacking is good enough to get most of us to give away anything they want or need to log in. If you want to worry about this then disconnect from all outside connections, build a Faraday cage in your room and get out the aluminum foil hat.

Zep66

Feb 27, 2014
Looks like Hola has been a bit naughty with all that access and bandwidth their app has with your browser:

Popular Chrome extension Hola sold users' bandwidth for botnets | The Verge

"The worry for some users is not only that Hola has been leeching their bandwidth, but that their connection might have been used for illegal purposes — accessing anything from copyrighted content to images of child abuse."

If it's free, it's usually for a reason.

Zep

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Yep, knew they used your bandwidth, as they state that in their terms, so turned it off every time it wasn't needed and it still worked a treat.