lise

Nov 6, 2002
I would say it's reasonable because it would be shared among the parents which would make it quite affordable. I would pay that price for a part-time teacher even if it was just shared between two or three families.
Have you looked into the positions that are open at the Taman Hati school in Mas? They are looking for International teachers right now for the school year that's about to start. The school has been restructured and will have a more wholistic perspective and more expatriate children. I can email you the information sheets if you're interested.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Margriet, sorry, I wasn’t ignoring you. Sure, that seems somewhat in line, and reasonable.

To be sure, setting up this kind of arrangement will require you to be here…in Bali. Everyone, parents and kids, would want to meet you in advance, get to know you a bit, and then proceed from there.

Nothing in Ubud seems to happen too quickly, except the absolute reality of our kids getting older (along with moms and dads). If I had to put my finger on one button that effects us all, it’s that we all like to make arrangements that are long lasting, and with no surprises later on. The Balinese give us more than our fair share of “surprises” and none of us like our peace, serenity, or comfort disturbed. I hope that doesn’t sound arrogant, but it is a way of life here.

Margriet

Sep 2, 2004
hello lise, thank you for your reply...A friend of mine sent me the information about the taman hati school 2 days ago and I already sent an application letter! But I'm afraid they only want native speakers again, and since I'm from the netherlands usually it's not possible. But I still have good hope!
Roy, of course I can understand that people first want to see me and talk about it. I would do exactly the same for my children (in the future, when I have them:) I was wondering if you and the other parents are thinking about sending your children to the taman hati school. Because it's near Ubud and an alternative to go all the way to the south....
It's only 8 weeks from now that I will be living in Bali, and I still don't really have a clue what I will do there all day. So maybe I should send you a message when I'm there and see if something is possible?

lise

Nov 6, 2002
I just purchased a Steiner 2nd grade homeschooling curriculum so I'm going to do that with my daughter. If I find other families who are interested in joining in that will be great. Margriet, do you know anything about Steiner? I know there are many schools in Holland.

Roy is right. Trying to get things organized from overseas doesn't work. You really have to be on the ground. Bali has a lot of magical energy. You can't force things there or expect things to happen on a western time schedule. You just release yourself into the flow and visualize what you want and it will happen.

We did what Roy suggested in terms of renting a 25 dollar a night place and networking, but we were still too western in our search methods...we spent nearly three weeks using the paper/bulletin boards, making lists and phone calls, to no avail.
Once we abandoned all of that, started walking through the rice fields, jumping on the back of stranger's moterbikes for rides to unknown locations (to see a brother/friend's house for rent), using our limited Indonesian to ask villagers if they knew of a house...within 48 hours we had a great place.

Theo

Sep 10, 2007
Holland
Whatever happened with these plans? I got curious whilst reading this, but it ended pretty abrupt all of a sudden.. Roy, everyone home schooled yet?

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Theo, Roy is no longer a member of this forum.

Unfortunately this discussion was mostly between people planning to move to Bali, and like so many before them and after them, once they actually move to Bali they stop contributing the the forum - life in Bali is like that - less time on the internet more time on life. 8)

kauaibobby

Oct 27, 2007
santa cruz, california, usa
Sounds GREAT !
My son Beau who is 12 and I are coming to live in Bali in hopefullys early 2008.
Sooner the better.
And I will be home schooling him and it would be great to have everyone that wants to do the same get together.
We can figure it out, but as Lise said I'm in California and can't do much here now.
But count me in and keep this post going.

Cyn's

Jul 31, 2006
New Zealand......Bali soon
Hi

I am also moving early 2008 with a daughter and will be looking at homeschooling her if I do not manage to get a teaching job there and have her attend the school as well.

Having lived (I am marrried to an Indonesia who is there now) and taught in Indonesia before, I am hoping that I can secure a teaching job before coming over but if this is not successful then I may home school Casi myself. I would then be interested in making contact with others that are homeschooling or looking at something similar to some of the previous discussions.

Will keep an eye on this post to see how it develops.

Cindy

kauaibobby

Oct 27, 2007
santa cruz, california, usa
Hi Cyn
How old is your daughter.
I'm just guessing whe is 8 years old, just a wild guess.
I hope we can get there soon.
Hope we can all get together and figure out something.
i'm sure we can, except I'm not there so far, so I'm not much help.
Bye for now
Bobby

Cyn's

Jul 31, 2006
New Zealand......Bali soon
Hi Booby,

Good guess but she is almost 10 years old. Look forward to seeing how this will develop.

When we get there (after such a bad day a work today, I would like to get on a plane and leave now) I will have a beter idea of how or what the schooling will look like.

Would be interested in any others that are moving with children and hear there plans for schooling.

Cindy

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
FYI, John Hardy is in the process of building an Int'l School in the Ubud area (Sorry, I forgot the name of the village).

G

Gurkha

"Does anyone know if John Hardy still has the Steiner teacher from Australia teaching/homeschooling his children?"

No