Home schooling english

Thierrywaulsort

Jan 16, 2009
Here’s my problem with regard to schooling. I hold an Indonesian residency permit and I live on the island of Bali with my children, two sons who are now 15 and 13 years old.

My kids have completed primary school in Bali (Sanur Independent School) but after primary school…nothing. They just stay at home with me.

The problem is, I simply can’t pay the school fees. International schools are too expensive, and Indonesian schools are not an option.

What about home schooling ? By home schooling I mean contact with an Australian or British school, correspondence school. Does anyone have some experience with that kind of schooling ? Or perhaps a private teacher ?

I mean high school, not primary school.

Cheers,

Thierry

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
"Indonesian schools are not an option"

Not quite sure why you say this as I think the answer to your problem may be a bit of both. The main problem you will have is if you cannot teach yourself and can only enrol them in a correspondence course. Hard for kids to do because it takes a lot of self discipline.

Private teachers will be expensive so if you cannot afford the school it is unlikely you can afford the teacher.

There was some discussion on good Indonesia schools recentl here that you may care to look up but if you are adamant about not using Indonesia schools it will not help.

Thierrywaulsort

Jan 16, 2009
Hi Jimbo,

Indonesian schools are not an option, because my kids did attend an Indonesian school - for 3 days - and then something horrible happened. I don't want to generalize, probably only this particular Indonesian school was bad, but my kids begged me not to send them to another Indonesian school.

I didn't call the police, because everybody knows the Indonesian expression about complaining about a stolen goat, and having to pay the police the price of a cow, so I gave my kids some counseling and psychotherapy and we moved on from there.

I guess I'll have to find some private teachers....

Anyway, my kids already speak English, Indonesian and Dutch, which is not bad.

Sydjapan

Jun 7, 2008
Japan
Hi....saw this post a bit ago. I am in Japan, but did "home school" my son here for 3 years. I did a combination of sending him to a local school, having him come home early, and my wife and I worked on his English and math skills, as we felt that was what he would need to re-integrate back into the Canadian system.

There are many home schooling websites LOADED with advice and information. What was said about requiring a lot of discipline is really true, I think. Even as adults, if we choose to work from home, many find it hard to stay focused and disciplined. Homeschooling is HARD work for the parent(s), as well. The parents need the TIME and energy to not only organize and supervise everything, but to work with the child/children. I realize, that not everyone is in a position to do this....

What I found was that I could "strike" deals with my son. We worked on basics that we "had to do" and were not optional. The "reward" for this was that we could do so many "cool" things outside of these lessons. I'm not talking about playing video games, but math related things outside the house, or langugae related projects and so on. It took my son and I at least 6 hard months to strike a balance and get in sync so that we could both be successful. I might add that he was 10-12 years old at the time and I imagibe that in some regards more manageble than 13 and 15. On the other hand, a mature 13 or 15 year-old could be great to work with.

The other big concern for "homeschooling" is that social interaction be maintained with kids of appropriate ages. This, once again, can be hard work for the parents to seek out, organize, transport, supervise and maintain.

I hope I'm not sounding negative? My experience was quite amazing and positive and after 3 years, my son integrated very well back into a "regular" school situation.

I hope this works out for you and for your children.

sj

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
but my kids begged me not to send them to another Indonesian school.

Sorry to hear that. I know kids of any country can be cruel but maybe the best way forward would have been to talk to the teachers. My eldest son spent his early years in an Indonesian school and it was a great benefit to him. Your way is hard but I wish you the best of luck.

Caring for our children is what parents do and you only want the best for yours. I would say however that you could talk to the head of a local school and even enquire what are the best in your area and give it one more try but I appreciate how you feel if you cannot.

Thierrywaulsort

Jan 16, 2009
Jimbo,

My kids were sexually harassed by an Indonesian teacher, luckily not raped. The next day they were slapped in the face by another Indonesian teacher because my kids said that they don't believe in any god, and that they come from a long line of atheists, many generations.

This is why an Indonesian school is not an option...

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Thierrywaulsort said:
Jimbo,

My kids were sexually harassed by an Indonesian teacher, luckily not raped. The next day they were slapped in the face by another Indonesian teacher because my kids said that they don't believe in any god, and that they come from a long line of atheists, many generations.

This is why an Indonesian school is not an option...

Sorry to hear it and I can feel you you and your children in that circumstance, however there have been children shot in American and British schools but it does not mean all schools or teachers are like that.

there has to be some perspective but of course I understand your reluctance to expose your children after such an experience

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hi Thierry

Sad to hear about your sons' experiences. I don't believe that's typical but for sure, it happens sometimes.

Chances are you've probably come up with an alternative strategy by now. Here is a link for you to OTEN in NSW.

OTEN is maybe the biggest Distance Learning group in Australia. They have about 38,000 students. Hundreds of courses, including the HSC. Overseas' Australians aged 15+ can enrol. There are various HSC programmes. Fees are approximately AUD800/year and since January, 2008, are refundable when the student successfully completes the course. The fees can be paid in two installments.

http://www.oten.edu.au/oten/oten.htm

All the best.

:D