MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
Bear - Dunno if you are still there but the number you gave (above) is said to be "an incorrect number". I'm happy to share my experience of making wine at home, if you are still interested. at the moment I have, fermenting away, 20 lts each of mango, rosella, frangipani flowers, marquisa and mangosteen.

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
Pretty good, Samslam, thanks. I have friends asking for it when they visit so it can't be too bad. Mango is the favorite with my wife's friends, I find.

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
What did you try, Sean? Frangipani wine or do you mean any home-made wine? I'm happy to help, if you are interested. I am a retired educator with too much time on my hands.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I am a retired educator with too much time on my hands.

If we just send you some empty bottles with the chosen fruit could you please do the honors - seeing as you have so much time.

Have you tried chasing small, brown women? Good for the figure and condition too.

But please start after my wine is done.

Reactions: MikeG

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
I used to find that the small brown women ran too fast for me until, one day, I found the answer! Wave my wallet.....it worked wonderfully well until I gave that up in favour of home-made wine..

Bottles? We've discussed this - my coffee table eventually gave way under the weight of the 20 lt container, so now I have to lie on the floor and suck on the tubing. It works but isn't so comfortable.....and it's a bit squishy underneath - but let's not go into that!

G

Gurkha

Try the OZ Tops kits. using 2 litre Coke bottles and Dewlands grape juice. One kit makes 70litres.

BuleNyem

Dec 30, 2017
Hi, no,idea - never heard of a Bali Pod get together. Are they regular.....one-offs.... Are they still happening?

You're still making wine? If so, what varieties?

I have made in the past a red wine (although it was mostly an old friend who did the work), and ginger 'beer,' more technically a carbonated fruit wine. It had bite, it was strong, and it was delicious. Would be great to make some moscow mules...I'm taking a month off drinking but it would be great to have something home made come shortly after that!

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
Ready for drinking now are very pleasant mulberry, tamarillo, carrot and ginger and frangipani. Coming along nicely are salak and more frangipani. If you are interested, come visit. I live between Sanur and Ubud.

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
Ready for drinking now are very pleasant mulberry, tamarillo, carrot and ginger and frangipani. Coming along nicely are salak and more frangipani. If you are interested, come visit. I live between Sanur and Ubud.
Tamarillo (terong Belanda) wine has proved to be the most popular with my visitors over the festive season. We found the fruit in the market at Bedugul.

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
I've been bottling tamarillo (terong belanda), mulberry and rosella wines. Now I need to start drinking them more regularly....I think............decisions, decisions

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
I guess that making wine must be legal or you wouldnt be identifying yourselves.
Yes, it is still legal. About two years ago there was the first reading in DPR of a bill that would make it illegal to make, sell, buy or drink any alcohol. Then various religious bodies replied that they had some alcohol in religious ceremonies, and some Governors said they need tourists and so they need alcohol. There were many other rumours but the fact is that at the moment it is legal. In the future.........who knows?

wepro

Nov 8, 2005
Canggu
MikeG said:
"Yes, it is still legal......"

Be careful !

Yes,it is legal to drink alcohol (if you are not muslim)
But it's illegal to make alcohol without licence.
And there is no chance to get a licence anymore :-(
As I know it's just allowed to make max 6 liter for your own use per month or per year (?).
It's my knowledge from a few years ago but I can't imagine there is any changes for easier handling with alcohol

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
I used to make my own wine, that is until I drunk a bottle of Chateau Lafitte 1970, and found out what I was missing. Now, that's the only thing I drink...when I can find it!:p:p:p