Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
I need some advice here,couple of years ago when renting a house in Bali there was one of those statue type structures in the front garden,the house was a nice place very private,had a nice big high gate entrance which enabled us to be closed off from the street as we wished,however one morning shortly after moving in my waife came to me all panicy,,honey honey there is someone in the front yard,sure enough there was and it wasn't someone we knew,we had met the couple who owned the house and it wasn't either of them,asi don't speak indo I had my wife translate for me and asked this guy who he was and what he was doing,he said he was the owners brother and was putting offerings on the statue,(sorry I don't know the proper name for this type of structure)and this practice continued for the 2 yrs we had rented the place,it was a really hice house but they never seemed to take away any of the offerings which resulted in them falling all over the place,and several rats setting up permanent homes in our front garden,when I asked the guy about the rat problem honestly he seemed surprised and looked at me amd asked ,,why you don't like rats,,i don't know if he was being a smart ass or he genuinely meant it,i do realize that the Hindu practices in Bali differ in many ways from Hinduism practiced in India,but I have seen on tv that there is temple somewhere in India dedicated to rats,hundreds of people go there each day to feed them,,

So my questions are as follows,im asking because we will be move back to bali next year after a 2 year stint in Java,also I don't want anyone thinking that im being disrespectful to the religion or its practices,,to us its simply a matter of privacy,,

(1) Would it be a reasonable request to ask a landlord not to come in and do the offerings while we live there,

(2) Or would that be considered offensive to them,

(3) Or is it one of those things we just have to accept,

Hoping to hear others comments/suggestions and hopefully experiences on the subject

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
Short answers:

1. In my opinion don't mention it.

2. Could be offensive indeed.

3. Accept it as shrines are sacred and offering must be made.

If you have problems with tikus (mice/rats) you can always clean up afterwards as offerings have already been accepted by God.
The places I've stayed have had several shrines (last place had six on property) and were visited daily. Girl would come place offerings with incense pray, smile hello and leave. I even got into habit to place small offering of any meal on shrine prior to eating. My actions were greatly appreciated by landlord his family.

Re-reading your post depending on where you live on the island the expectation of privacy is zero. What is your program for today? Where are you going? What have you to eaten today? Have you taken shower this afternoon?

Last edited:

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Thanks Sherm for the advice,shrines that's the word I couldn't think of,yeah I always did clean up the stuff,its really a privacy thing with us,for me I don't care hey I will walk around half naked if I want to without caring who sees me,im nothing to look at anyway,my wife is somewhat similar to me about being free to walk around anyway she wants,like first thing in the morning she is not always fully covered when coming out of the bedroom and feels like she shouldn't have to be,,but it is what it is I guess,to each his own right ??

Haha sounds like im advocating nakedness ,however im not just using such a scenario as an example of privacy,

Thanks again

Dick Rector

Feb 26, 2011
Sanur Bali Indonesia
The people who lived in my rented house before, refused the landlord coming in to do the offerings. When we moved in I told the landlord to feel free to do what he wants to do at the two shrines in our garden. So twice or three times a year he send me an sms if it is okay to come and do his offerings or whatever.
I have since the nicest landlord ever. The religion is a part of their daily life and I respect that. The house was build by his father, so the little temples are a 'part of the family' so to speak.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
When you find a house just get a pembantu and let her do the offering as and when she comes that will keep the others out of your garden/house.

But they have to be done - "When in Rome, do as the Romans"

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Thanks everyone,its good to hear from people who have had similar experiences,i appreciate it very much,