Hi,

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
Yes. I was a bad Catholic, now I am a bad Hindu.
It was at about the age of 7 that I realised 70%+ of the adults sat around me at Sunday mass were lip-syncing the words to the prayers - the same prayers that I guess they'd (not) heard every week for 30+ years.

This really is the greatest show on Earth.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Lighten up mate. Don't take it all so seriously. Of course I am not a real Hindu, it was an administrative requirement. But I go to the temple when I have to and follow the ritual, much the same when I was a practising Catholic. Which ended about 50 years ago. Cheers.

"After all I guarentee you we are just "rich bule" to them."
Is that how you refer to your inlaws? Maybe I got lucky, I love my wife's family and they love me. You can scoff all you like, but it is true. They have never asked me for anything.
I'm absolutely not having a dig at you at all and every extended family is different, for example my Mrs is honest and loyal but her family sometimes manipulates her to get what they want and we have to work it out backwards, for example borrow the new scooter for a week and it comes back in 3 weeks on empty. Think of my post more as a warning to new bule to consider type of thing. I guess your post just brought these thoughts (which I was already longer term pondering) to the forefront of my mind.

Last edited:

RossM

Jan 19, 2022
Mate I've been married for 20 years I have 3 bother in laws one is a farmer has never asked for money and always help me if I asked.
The other 2 have done nothing but rip me off every chance they get .
Luckily my wife spent a long time in Australia working with me on mining sites she was a cleaning.
She knows exactly how hard Western people work to get money .
And what your talking about is very common with Balinese family's who's female member married to Foreigners .
They basically think they won the lottery and you are obligated to support them forever .
In the early days when I was still working I offered to help them set up a family business .
They weren't interested.
But expected everytime I flew in I was working 2 weeks on 1 week off to give them money .
I had a Dihatshu Taft the eldest brother was driving us to airport every 2 weeks .
He was given money to park it in storage every 2 weeks .
I started to notice the fuel was empty every time I got back I always left it full .
So I started setting the trip meter to zero b4 i left when I got back there was 600 ks on it .
What he was doing was renting it out and also pocketing the storage fee .
This is only one of many scams they did .
When I stopped working and retired in Bali I told them I'm not giving them any more money they all had jobs .
They went out and slandered my name al over the Desa .
My wife n I will always help there kids with there education but n I help the Farmer brother now n then but the other 2 can f off

So typical of families in 'developing' countries where the foreign husband is seen as a pot of gold to be milked. Well done on drawing the line!!