Hi,

Einix

Aug 19, 2022
Hi all,
I was planning on retiring in Bali in a few years time. Now my personal situation has changed and I want to bring that retirement forward. So retirement Kitas is off the table since I am under 55. But I am open for any business visa or even a family Kitas would be possible. The question I have, I want to bring my belongings with me, nothing expensive, just used household items like fridge, TV, furniture as well as old photo albums and childhood memories. I understand that not all visa types allow to bring a container (at least not tax free?) What are your thoughts/ experiences? Which would be the best visa type ? Any agent for the visa? The container/ cargo processing?
I already tried to search the forum. Most entries I found are dating back to 2014 and the newer ones kind of agree that retirement visa would not allow it. So which one (still) does? Thanks in advance

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Hey Einix, I dunno where you are from (could be Australia or Canada) but I would NOT bring household items like fridge etc to Bali. Makes no financial sense. I would buy boxes and send the most important things like books, clothes etc via ship cargo to Bali. Takes from Europe 2-3 months but it's cheap. Everything else in an extra luggage and bring on a plane (if necessary pay the fee)

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
Hey Einix, I dunno where you are from (could be Australia or Canada) but I would NOT bring household items like fridge etc to Bali. Makes no financial sense. I would buy boxes and send the most important things like books, clothes etc via ship cargo to Bali. Takes from Europe 2-3 months but it's cheap. Everything else in an extra luggage and bring on a plane (if necessary pay the fee)
I believe Sakumabali is right but I would suggest checking with your visa agent to confirm.

I think until about 2015 you could one-off bring personal effects with you when arriving on a retirement visa tax and duty free ..... but this benefit was removed around that time.

Without this exeption importing second hand goods is possibly prohibited or slapped with eye watering taxes and duty (on made-up new value) so as to make it impractical.

I suspect you are paying your agent enough for him to advise.

Just my 10c

Reactions: Einix

murphynagari

Jun 18, 2022
Hi all,
I was planning on retiring in Bali in a few years time. Now my personal situation has changed and I want to bring that retirement forward. So retirement Kitas is off the table since I am under 55. But I am open for any business visa or even a family Kitas would be possible. The question I have, I want to bring my belongings with me, nothing expensive, just used household items like fridge, TV, furniture as well as old photo albums and childhood memories. I understand that not all visa types allow to bring a container (at least not tax free?) What are your thoughts/ experiences? Which would be the best visa type ? Any agent for the visa? The container/ cargo processing?
I already tried to search the forum. Most entries I found are dating back to 2014 and the newer ones kind of agree that retirement visa would not allow it. So which one (still) does? Thanks in advance
Mate you need an Indonesian wife for family kitas have you got an Indonesian wife?

And business visa is technically for starting a business you can get away with it for a while but if you don't actually start a business you can only use it for so long .

And starting a business in Indonesia is a minefield of paperwork licences etc and not cheap

murphynagari

Jun 18, 2022
If you have an Indonesian wife the family kitas is the easiest road to take.
Also I don't know your history with Bali but outside the tourist areas you can't just rock up to a Village n live there .
It's a community based system you need a sponsor n permission from the village heads to live there your not Balinese and you need community status and there is only one way to get that born Balinese and your family is from that village etc .
Or your wife is Balinese and the community accepts you .
Living in the tourist areas is 3 times more expensive.

Einix

Aug 19, 2022
Thanks for your quick responses.
Well, as I said, family Kitas would be an option. I am engaged to a Balinese for a while. Marriage is a topic, but we thought we still have time.
And I am very familiar with Bali, spend many holidays there (over 25 3-4 weeks each). I am also aware that Bali is not the tourist spot most people would know it for. During COVID I was able to benefit from the lower prices and bought a house already (under her name of course) I am accepted by the neighbours ( not yet introduced to the head of the village since I am not yet living there, but announced)
Furthermore, my Bahasa Indonesia is decent, Bahasa Bali very basic.
I guess I did my home work so far. Not rushing things, just want to speed it up now.

PS: I am in Australia now, but have dual citizenship German/Australian

Reactions: sakumabali

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Woaw, woaw.... you guys like to complicate your lifes.....

PS : 25 Y of Asia. Now retired in Bali, with a Java girl. Never married, never bought a house and no intention to....
But our "deal" works out pretty well since the 8 y that we are together.
I am a bit older, so I went the retirement visa way. Best way, you don't depend on the mood of a Asian woman.

Reactions: McAdoo and Einix

murphynagari

Jun 18, 2022
Well, as I said, family Kitas would be an option. I am engaged to a Balinese for a while. Marriage is a topic, but we thought we still have time.
And I am very familiar with Bali, spend many holidays there (over 25 3-4 weeks each). I am also aware that Bali is not the tourist spot most people would know it for. During COVID I was able to benefit from the lower prices and bought a house already (under her name of course) I am accepted by the neighbours ( not yet introduced to the head of the village since I am not yet living there, but announced)
I guess I did my home work so far. Not rushing things, just want to speed it up now.

Believe me spouse visa is the best road to go the first one is a bit of a hassle but after that it's easy.
And if you get married get a prenup without it anything to do with land transfer etc etc becomes a nightmare .
The prenup is for the government not your wife .
Also we have done all our spouse visas our selfs it's not that hard and saves you a lot of money.
Visa's are real overpriced scam with agents .
And I'm not trying to bring you down but be aware living in Bali is completely different to coming here for holidays .
Once you live here a lot of things you thought about Bali become completely false .
The other thing to think about is health doctors are cheap but the medication and procedures if you go to hospital add up very fast .
So while your still in good health look at insurance .

If you decide to marry try and avoid a Hindu wedding it's long and complicated.
Do a normal Christen wedding .
Once your married you must go to Australia consulate and get paperwork for your marriage forget what it's called .
The first one I recommend an agent after that do it yourself you will have to enter Indonesia on social visa then process kitas and fly to Singapore to pick it up then re enter Indonesia .
After 2 years you can get Ktap visa 5 years or Ten years up to you .
If you go business visa road you will be always on the governments radar .

murphynagari

Jun 18, 2022
PS. I've been here for years there's many things that can save you money and stress
I was a builder in my Australian life and built here many times
And I am also married to a Balinese.
I can't talk about them on a public forum .
If you want to get together and pick my brain next time you're here let me know use my email murphynagari@gmail.com

Reactions: Mark and Einix

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018

To me it sounds like you have your ducks in a row and I wish you good luck. That said 5 years deep I'm in Sydney and my parter is in Bali. In Bali most of the systems/rules/visas just feel like money pits to me. Was worse in covid, maybe recovering now, but a small dose of reality doesn't hurt either.

I hope to retire there too but at middle age it really doesn't make sense. Even if I start a company, or find some company to sponsor me to work there, the wages are basically pathetic, unless I make something really blow up that hasn't been done before with their laid back attitude and my drive to work, I don't really see it working.

My partner has heaps of good business ideas, for Bali, lots of little side hustles brining in money that total to something decent is they way to go IMO. Always have an a escape plan to a western country you can get income on hand though.

Einix

Aug 19, 2022
To me it sounds like you have your ducks in a row and I wish you good luck. That said 5 years deep I'm in Sydney and my parter is in Bali. In Bali most of the systems/rules/visas just feel like money pits to me. Was worse in covid, maybe recovering now, but a small dose of reality doesn't hurt either.

I hope to retire there too but at middle age it really doesn't make sense. Even if I start a company, or find some company to sponsor me to work there, the wages are basically pathetic, unless I make something really blow up that hasn't been done before with their laid back attitude and my drive to work, I don't really see it working.

My partner has heaps of good business ideas, for Bali, lots of little side hustles brining in money that total to something decent is they way to go IMO. Always have an a escape plan to a western country you can get income on hand though.
Thanks, it sounds we are in quite similar positions atm.
Yep, to he 'money pits' thought. Of course there would be a realistic chance to buy my container through customs I guess, but also a bit risky. And even more expensive...
And yes to all the side hassles, haha, seems a mutual idea there. But I agree, it would only feed you like a local, and lots of work.
So good luck for you too

Einix

Aug 19, 2022
PS. I've been here for years there's many things that can save you money and stress
I was a builder in my Australian life and built here many times
And I am also married to a Balinese.
I can't talk about them on a public forum .
If you want to get together and pick my brain next time you're here let me know use my email murphynagari@gmail.com
I might come back to your offer. I already booked a flight for late October/mid November ...

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Hindu wedding is not long and complicated. Best decision I ever made. Your wife will do all the work for you. All you have to do is pay the cost and turn up. Dont have to say anything, just pay attention when your wife nudges you with her elbow. Conversion to Hindu is included in the ceremony. It is fun and something you will remember all your life. No bs like "Do you Fred, take Made to be your lawful wedded wife blah blah blah". You won't understand any of the ceremony, a perfect way to start married life because that is a mystery too until you try it.

And if you want a Christian wedding, don't forget your wife will have to convert to Christianity. Something her family may not be too happy about. Not a good way to start out your life in Bali.

• Haha
Reactions: Balifrog and Einix

murphynagari

Jun 18, 2022
Hindu wedding is not long and complicated. Best decision I ever made. Your wife will do all the work for you. All you have to do is pay the cost and turn up. Dont have to say anything, just pay attention when your wife nudges you with her elbow. Conversion to Hindu is included in the ceremony. It is fun and something you will remember all your life. No bs like "Do you Fred, take Made to be your lawful wedded wife blah blah blah". You won't understand any of the ceremony, a perfect way to start married life because that is a mystery too until you try it.

And if you want a Christian wedding, don't forget your wife will have to convert to Christianity. Something her family may not be too happy about. Not a good way to start out your life in Bali.
So you converted to a Hindu?

murphynagari

Jun 18, 2022
So you converted to a Hindu?
PS you don't have to be same religion to marry different faiths have different rules .
And compared to a marriage done by licence person a Bali Hindu ceremony takes a lot of organisation money and time .
I did what you did and just showed up .
And for 20 years my wife reminds me she did all the work at least once every couple months .

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Hindu wedding is not long and complicated. Best decision I ever made. Your wife will do all the work for you. All you have to do is pay the cost and turn up. Dont have to say anything, just pay attention when your wife nudges you with her elbow. Conversion to Hindu is included in the ceremony. It is fun and something you will remember al...
Woaw.....pure romance....
Or should say "what a load of b*llocks" ?

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018

Do you seriously consider yourself a Hindu and follow all their weird customs about rituals and luck and all that or you just did it for the paperwork? Personally no way, and it's why we haven't been married until now. Though I do agree there are some Balinese chicks who are Hindu who will just find a cheap wedding and not scam the shit out of you. Different villages have very different customs too. Technically I could build a house in my mrs village (and afford to) and live there, realistically, I'd be an outcast, the talk of the town and ostrised. Living in Sydney isn't the solution forever but there is definitely some really complex issues to address here IMO.

I'm a bit of a nothing religiously. I've always helped my Mrs but also always made it clear I'm not feeding the family or fixing every problem they have. I'll help them with the odd thing but that is where the line is drawn. After all I guarentee you we are just "rich bule" to them.

You have to see it for it what it is.

Of course, your situation may be far different to mine. If you are happy, that is fantastic, who am I to judge? But that is a road I don't want to go down personally.

Reactions: Balifrog

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Do you seriously consider yourself a Hindu and follow all their weird customs about rituals and luck and all that or you just did it for the paperwork? Personally no way, and it's why we haven't been married until now. Though I do agree there are some Balinese chicks who are Hindu who will just find a cheap wedding and not scam the shit out of you. Different villages have very different customs too. Technically I could build a house in my mrs village (and afford to) and live there, realistically, I'd be an outcast, the talk of the town and ostrised. Living in Sydney isn't the solution forever but there is definitely some really complex issues to address here IMO.

I'm a bit of a nothing religiously. I've always helped my Mrs but also always made it clear I'm not feeding the family or fixing every problem they have. I'll help them with the odd thing but that is where the line is drawn. After all I guarentee you we are just "rich bule" to them.

Of course, your situation may be far different to mine. If you are happy, that is fantastic, who am I to judge? But that is a road I don't want to go down personally.
Lighten up mate. Don't take it all so seriously. Of course I am not a real Hindu, it was an administrative requirement. But I go to the temple when I have to and follow the ritual, much the same when I was a practising Catholic. Which ended about 50 years ago. Cheers.

"After all I guarentee you we are just "rich bule" to them."
Is that how you refer to your inlaws? Maybe I got lucky, I love my wife's family and they love me. You can scoff all you like, but it is true. They have never asked me for anything.

murphynagari

Jun 18, 2022

Mate I've been married for 20 years I have 3 bother in laws one is a farmer has never asked for money and always help me if I asked.
The other 2 have done nothing but rip me off every chance they get .
Luckily my wife spent a long time in Australia working with me on mining sites she was a cleaning.
She knows exactly how hard Western people work to get money .
And what your talking about is very common with Balinese family's who's female member married to Foreigners .
They basically think they won the lottery and you are obligated to support them forever .
In the early days when I was still working I offered to help them set up a family business .
They weren't interested.
But expected everytime I flew in I was working 2 weeks on 1 week off to give them money .
I had a Dihatshu Taft the eldest brother was driving us to airport every 2 weeks .
He was given money to park it in storage every 2 weeks .
I started to notice the fuel was empty every time I got back I always left it full .
So I started setting the trip meter to zero b4 i left when I got back there was 600 ks on it .
What he was doing was renting it out and also pocketing the storage fee .
This is only one of many scams they did .
When I stopped working and retired in Bali I told them I'm not giving them any more money they all had jobs .
They went out and slandered my name al over the Desa .
My wife n I will always help there kids with there education but n I help the Farmer brother now n then but the other 2 can f off