Hi guys, considering setting up transfer wise to send idr to my girl friend in Bedulu. Is it possible to send her a debit card and top it up from Aus.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Yes, it would be best she has a bank account here in Bali. You should be able to receive money on the same day. Not that I would recommend Western Union, but I read that people are having trouble receiving money in Indonesia from them.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Have her open a bank account then use transfer wise to top it up , Would not send a card from Australia
Definitely the best option. If you use your Australian bank to make the transfer you will get a dreadful exchange rate. If you open the Transferwise web site you can see immediately what the amount is that would arrive in the Bali bank account. From personal experience I can assure you that your Australian bank will effectively rob you with their exchange rates.

Reactions: Juggler

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
I inadvertingly ripped up my Oz sim card. I had to get one sent from oz to here. the only secure way was with DHL(oz post was like up to 2 months) and it was $90aud for an envelope that still took 5 days to get here in this covid world. Get her to open up an bank account here and use transfer wise, as the others have recommended. Once the money in your oz transferwise account (usually overnight) it will hit her account in about 5-10 minutes and the exchange rates are the best

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
I agree make a local account, mail doesn't seem to be moving very fast at all I sent some t shirts to Australia on xmas day with JNE's fastest express service and paid top $ (and got taxed top $) they are still sitting in Jakarta.

Never had any dramas with WU either and the rate is pretty close if not same as transferwise.