rakkututu

May 25, 2012
Boise, Idaho
I'm 53, by myself, adventurous and just really want a new life! Boise is so family oriented and very redneck for the most part and I just don't fit in - at all! I grew up here but have traveled extensively and have been living there for past 22 years - ug. I'm trying to find a good property manager and use my rental income to travel around but really really want to have a kind of bond with some fun people who welcome another silly person into their "fold" - I'd like to travel all over and use Bali as my base BUT I also am doing this to save money. When I'm home I spend so much damned money it's ridiculous! I want to have fun, be a part of something new and lovely and immerse myself in their culture as much as the Balinese people will let me : )

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Hi! I'm new to this post even though I signed up 3 years ago - I finally am getting all ducks in a row to move to Bali for an extended stay and would love any input. I'm really green about a lot but would do fine with a few new friends to help me. I need to live lightly so no big rental expense and don't want to be separate from folks. Would love to see if I could handle a 5 year stint in Bali.... sounds great now! I don't let depressing posts get me down - I don't get that attitude. I love to scuba dive very much so Sanur or Ubud??? Who knows. Who can help steer me? Thank you!!!!

First thing is you need to know there is n o scuba diving in Ubud.

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
I'm 53, by myself, adventurous and just really want a new life! Boise is so family oriented and very redneck for the most part and I just don't fit in - at all! I grew up here but have traveled extensively and have been living there for past 22 years - ug. I'm trying to find a good property manager and use my rental income to travel around but really really want to have a kind of bond with some fun people who welcome another silly person into their "fold" - I'd like to travel all over and use Bali as my base BUT I also am doing this to save money. When I'm home I spend so much damned money it's ridiculous! I want to have fun, be a part of something new and lovely and immerse myself in their culture as much as the Balinese people will let me : )

If you're game, you could join me to learn kite surfing.

We move there in July.

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Where will you take classes?

Not sure till I get there....but most likely been reading about the Sanur location for it and some schools/teachers based there.

I was going to do an intro course here in Los before leaving, but might not bother now and just go straight there to begin with.

rakkututu

May 25, 2012
Boise, Idaho
I'll go underwater not on the water - ha! First time I water skied I never let go of the rope and went straight down to the bottom of the lake! YUK I came up choking and all covered with algae and never went again! Horrible : )

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
I'll go underwater not on the water - ha! First time I water skied I never let go of the rope and went straight down to the bottom of the lake! YUK I came up choking and all covered with algae and never went again! Horrible : )

You better not try kitesurfing then or you will either be up flying in the air or crashing on the beach. Probably both :icon_eek:.

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
I know a fair bit about diving and trust me, as stated by someone else, the diving at Ubud is limited...make that very limited...see that big aquarium in the corner?

Nahhh the best operators were always based in Sanur, and according to my salty mates, still are, although they said some good things about a newish outfit working off the north coast.

With the recent tragic accident you would image that SCUBA operators will have come under some intense scrutiny regarding their safety and infrastructure...porkers fueled and ready for take off

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Nahhh the best operators were always based in Sanur, and according to my salty mates, still are, although they said some good things about a newish outfit working off the north coast.

I know plenty of good dive shops that aren't in Sanur.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Aquamarine in Seminyak
Tauch Terminal in Tulamben
Tulamben Wreck Divers in Tulamben
Puri Wirata in Amed
Siddharta (Werner Lau) in Kubu
Alam Anda (Werner Lau) in Tejakula
Matahari Beach Resort (Werner Lau) in Pemuteran
and several more ...

These are at least equally as good as let's say Crystal Divers, Bali Scuba or Blue Season in Sanur which I rate the top 3 dive shops in Sanur.

Bernie

Jul 17, 2015
Have read through the whole thread, interesting lol. Now I want to know how it panned out for Thumps, can anyone enlighten me?

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Have read through the whole thread, interesting lol. Now I want to know how it panned out for Thumps, can anyone enlighten me?

Good question, thanks, Bernie. Before I got to your post, I had not realized this thread was relatively old. So, what happened to Thumps et al? Anyone?

Thumps

Mar 6, 2014
Hello, it's Thumps

Hi, so here it is July 2015, and i can tell you, unfortunately we have not made it to Bali to live at this time. Hubby started a new job in September 2014, and to date they do not offer FIFO from or to Bali, so financially, it was going to cost us too much, so, we are still in Perth. But, Bali is never far from my thoughts, and it is still a dream, to fulfil living there, but the time is just not right for us, right now.
Mother in law, would def not be joining us at all anymore, that's all I'm willing to say about that.
Thankyou for wondering what ever became of Thumps. I do still enjoy reading information, and the journey of others living in Bali, I call it my "Bali Fix" ☺️

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thumps so glad you stayed with us and were brave enough to recount your story and it's finale (at the mo).

If you are still adamant about your Bali future then, for what it's worth, my advise would be to start building it now. Hubby is working and money is flowing - take some of it and come over and get a lease on some land now (it's only going up).

If you wait a couple of months the new regulations should be finally in governing the new leasehold lengths of from 50 years to unlimited (we/they don't know for sure yet).

Once you have your ground then you can gradually start to build your life on it - we are happy to help.

Leave the fecking kids at home (sorry, didn't want to get too far out of character).