Kay

Sep 12, 2010
I've enjoyed reading this thread, especially Markit on his soap box. Every foreigner who lives in a place like Bali essentially has a strong character. Thumps could be quite suited here. Whilst this tough character may remain or even strengthen, many of the preconceptions soon seem like distant dreams. I'm not saying it is not nice here, the place still has a lot going for it, but when things go bad, well that strength of character comes in handy.

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
I would leave the kids with MIL, come over for 2 weeks, check out the schools, look around at where you think you might want to live, perhaps meet up with some of the younger members on this forum, who have children, and find out how they are coping......the issues of living here, especially with children can be complex...sometimes they don't settle, and are often sick, bali belly being number 1.....

I have lived here for over 25 years, and originally came here with 3 daughters, 9, 7 and 5....there were no international schools, so they went to the local school, and were also home schooled.....they survived!!!!! Went to University in Australia, and are very successful in their careers.

Obviously decision is up to you, take it slowly and look at all options before committing to this new lifestyle....

Thumps

Mar 6, 2014
Thanks Scout. We are actually booked to come to Bali in September for 13 days, we had already booked and paid, before even the idea of considering a move to Bali. Seems so far away though, now that we have this idea to move there.
Guess if it came to it then, hubby and I could do a quick trip over...

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Guess if it came to it then, hubby and I could do a quick trip over...

Late JUNE thru' to Mid SEPT. is high season in Bali...prices are high...restaurants and hotels are full and the streets are blocked.
Between now and June it is low season, the wet weather seems almost over and, except for Nyipi (31 Mar), it would be a good time to visit. Hotels are all on discount and cheap airfares available.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Hi Thumps, sorry if I missed it in a previous post, but can I ask if you've actually been to Bali before? I must admit I'm a little bit worried about your plans.

Thumps

Mar 6, 2014
Hi Thumps, sorry if I missed it in a previous post, but can I ask if you've actually been to Bali before? I must admit I'm a little bit worried about your plans.

DenpasarHouse - yes we have been 10 times over the years, the recent being last year.
What is it that worries you? I'm certainly not naive, and know that we can't move to Bali overnight. So your post rather confuses me....:icon_rolleyes:

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Late JUNE thru' to Mid SEPT. is high season in Bali...prices are high...restaurants and hotels are full and the streets are blocked.
Between now and June it is low season, the wet weather seems almost over and, except for Nyipi (31 Mar), it would be a good time to visit. Hotels are all on discount and cheap airfares available.

It's still possible to find cheap airfares in the high season if you are flexible with dates. We have booked 4 seats BNE-DPS-BNE leaving 24 June returning 23 July with 40kg checked baggage and preselected seats for $2070 with Jetstar. Cheaper than we paid in April/May last year and it's a direct flight this time, no stopover in Darwin. With talk of 5000 redundancies at Qantas, I just hope there are still some crew left to fly us there come June.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
"yes we have been 10 times over the years"

Well, that's a little more reassuring, but as every expat that has ever existed says, living here is a whole lot different than being a tourist. This sounds obvious and is easily dismissed, but I can't stress it enough, the problems of everyday life in Bali can be EXTREMELY challenging. Also, it's not true that everything can be solved by determination and hard work, especially if you don't speak Indonesian.

Before I became an expat, I had come to Bali 6 times, all for at least 3 months, and this still didn't adequately prepare me. Sometimes you feel like your in some sort of hidden camera show because that small problem you have has descended into a ridiculous farce.

In my opinion, to have a stress free existence in Bali you need to be extremely rich, extremely organized or extremely retired.

I've also personally witnessed Bali break one expat, and I feel guilty that I only stayed positive and tried to help, rather than sit them down and tell them how unwise their choices were. Unfortunately, Markit's exaggerated/obnoxious style allows you to dismiss him as overly negative. But I can't say I totally disagree with him.

I posted a few gotchas yesterday on a thread about living in Denpasar.

I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Natasha

Dec 1, 2010
Kerobokan
I'm Canadian and my husband is Balinese, we live here with our baby daughter, and I think there are far worse places in the world to be raising kids than Bali! Bali is safe and child-friendly place. As for education, I think if you actively participate in your childs' education, get them involved in the wide range of extracurricular activities offered on the island, and be on top of what they are learning at school and perhaps supplement some of their education at home, I think they'll be fine!

As others have pointed out, I do recommend really looking into all the details of moving to Bali before actually moving here. Many people believe it to be much cheaper than their home country, and that might not always be true after calculating the costs of schooling (international school here are VERY expensive), visas and visa runs, western comforts, health insurance for the whole family, etc..

Thumps

Mar 6, 2014
"yes we have been 10 times over the years"

Well, that's a little more reassuring, but as every expat that has ever existed says, living here is a whole lot different than being a tourist. This sounds obvious and is easily dismissed, but I can't stress it enough, the problems of everyday life in Bali can be EXTREMELY challenging. Also, it's not true that everything can be solved by determination and hard work, especially if you don't speak Indonesian.

Before I became an expat, I had come to Bali 6 times, all for at least 3 months, and this still didn't adequately prepare me. Sometimes you feel like your in some sort of hidden camera show because that small problem you have has descended into a ridiculous farce.

In my opinion, to have a stress free existence in Bali you need to be extremely rich, extremely organized or extremely retired.

I've also personally witnessed Bali break one expat, and I feel guilty that I only stayed positive and tried to help, rather than sit them down and tell them how unwise their choices were. Unfortunately, Markit's exaggerated/obnoxious style allows you to dismiss him as overly negative. But I can't say I totally disagree with him.

I posted a few gotchas yesterday on a thread about living in Denpasar.

I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Thankyou DenpasarHouse, I hear everything you are saying, and appreciate your honesty.

Last edited by a moderator:

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
I'm Canadian and my husband is Balinese, we live here with our baby daughter, and I think there are far worse places in the world to be raising kids than Bali! Bali is safe and child-friendly place. As for education, I think if you actively participate in your childs' education, get them involved in the wide range of extracurricular activities offered on the island, and be on top of what they are learning at school and perhaps supplement some of their education at home, I think they'll be fine!

As others have pointed out, I do recommend really looking into all the details of moving to Bali before actually moving here. Many people believe it to be much cheaper than their home country, and that might not always be true after calculating the costs of schooling (international school here are VERY expensive), visas and visa runs, western comforts, health insurance for the whole family, etc..

Can you make a list of these extra curricular activities please ?

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Thumps, before you do anything come to Sanur and have a chat with the expats who live here. Johnny Cool, Andrew, Smoke, Goldminer and myself all write on this forum and live in Sanur. I do believe there are two other members of this forum also living in this area but the breakfast beers has caused troubles with my memory.
Please have a chat with us. There are many years of experience within our group and we are all willing to assist newcomers.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
DenpasarHouse;In my opinion said:
I was wondering why I'm so happy in Bali and everyone else seems so depressed.....now I'm well informed....previously I thought it was because of my indecision to have the Hatten Red or the Rose....:indecisiveness:

Natasha

Dec 1, 2010
Kerobokan
Can you make a list of these extra curricular activities please ?
There are a few facebook groups for parents living in Bali that have all sorts of information on activities for babies and children on the island, plus a lot of active members that can give information or their experience with pediatricians, where to buy kid related stuff, schools, playgroups, etc..
Bali Babies: https://www.facebook.com/groups/balibabies/
Bali Mamas: https://www.facebook.com/groups/balimoms/
Do a search, you might find more groups!
Also Bali Advertiser also has many ads for all sorts of classes and activities kids can join.

moondogy

Aug 22, 2012
Nusa Dua
So many things, so little time!

I have read the 4 pages + of suggestions and it sounds like the situation we were in about 4 years ago. There are so many things to decide on when you think you might make the move to Bali, and its impossible to answer them all when you are still in Aust. In your situation I would come here and rent for 6 months.....see if in fact you do like Sanur or surprise surprise you might like somewhere else....consider the fact that your Mother In Law can get a retirement visa and she may be able to assist in the leasing/ purchase of your eventual home. Look at schooling, are you going to work here??, what is the Health Insurance situation, can you speak the language at all, are you going to keep your foot on some real estate in Aust, what are your tax implications if any....these are all huge questions and it takes time on the ground here to sort through them...you are not going to find all your answers on this Forum....you need to do the footwork yourself and become very familiar with Indonesian law re home leasing/nominees etc. I suggest you talk to a real estate agent.....we used Ray White in Seminyak and their knowledge of the law is very good. You also need a good notaris....solicitor...its not expensive to get advice compared to Aust. I am not for one minute discouraging you...we didn't make this move to Bali until we were in our 60's..we thought we had time for one more adventure....but now at times I wish we had done it years ago when our children were young.....there are heaps of opportunity here for the young, and providing you stay within the confines of the legal system, its not difficult to build a successful, happy life for all of your family.
In short.....come here, rent short term, ask lots of questions, and take if for there. Best of luck.:icon_e_biggrin:

Deborah

Aug 14, 2010
Chicago
I agree. My circumstances are totally different from the lady posing the questions, i.e. I'm a retired woman. I plan to come for three months to see how it pans out for me before I make a decision.

rakkututu

May 25, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Hi! I'm new to this post even though I signed up 3 years ago - I finally am getting all ducks in a row to move to Bali for an extended stay and would love any input. I'm really green about a lot but would do fine with a few new friends to help me. I need to live lightly so no big rental expense and don't want to be separate from folks. Would love to see if I could handle a 5 year stint in Bali.... sounds great now! I don't let depressing posts get me down - I don't get that attitude. I love to scuba dive very much so Sanur or Ubud??? Who knows. Who can help steer me? Thank you!!!!

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hi! I'm new to this post even though I signed up 3 years ago - I finally am getting all ducks in a row to move to Bali for an extended stay and would love any input. I'm really green about a lot but would do fine with a few new friends to help me. I need to live lightly so no big rental expense and don't want to be separate from folks. Would love to see if I could handle a 5 year stint in Bali.... sounds great now! I don't let depressing posts get me down - I don't get that attitude. I love to scuba dive very much so Sanur or Ubud??? Who knows. Who can help steer me? Thank you!!!!

Hi rakkututu and welcome.
This forum is only regulated by your own attitude.... ask as many pertinent questions as you like and members will likewise attempt to answer...ask silly ...expect silly responses.

Understanding that...you need to tell us a little more about yourself..... and you aspirations.

Btw..... I've been to Boise, Idaho...I understand your pain!

rakkututu

May 25, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Hi rakkututu and welcome.
This forum is only regulated by your own attitude.... ask as many pertinent questions as you like and members will likewise attempt to answer...ask silly ...expect silly responses.

Understanding that...you need to tell us a little more about yourself..... and you aspirations.

Btw..... I've been to Boise, Idaho...I understand your pain!