Adam1986

Mar 12, 2013
Hi, I'm a newbie to all of this,
and this is my first post.

my name is Adam, and I'm moving to Bali in about 2 months to work, I'll be moving to the Seminyak region.
if anyone has any useful info or tips for Bali life i would be most appreciated.
I'm looking at renting or buying a scooter has anybody got any advice on where to rent or the rough cost???

Christsir

Mar 8, 2013
Hello Adam i will moving to Bali also next month same place Seminyak. Did your company provide you accomodation?
For the scooter its better for you to buy,much cheaper than rent.in Bali perday for scooter its 5$ a day.

Adam1986

Mar 12, 2013
Hi, yes they have provided me with a villa with the rest of my colleagues.
ill look into buying a scooter then, i should be moving in May!!! i cant wait!!!!

Christsir

Mar 8, 2013
Thats good for you then,i need to find my own accommodation,might going there end of this month.I will buy scooter also its easy to go everywhere in Bali especially Seminyak and Kuta always traffic lately.How long you will stay there?

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
scooter per day is expensive, scooter per month is about 4 or 500.000 (in the south)...to buy a brand new one is anywhere between 14.000.000 and 18.000.000 (don't buy a red one)

Adam1986

Mar 12, 2013
not sure on how long ill be staying really, a minimum of 4 months but may extended my stay for a few years, depending on how i find it.

Barekarma

Jan 8, 2012
Denpasar
Hi Adam,
Good luck with the move to Bali.
Re Motorcycle, if you buy a new one, allow for at least a week to elapse after you have paid over the money before you can collect the bike and drive it away. The delay it so they can register the bike. Make sure that if YOU buy the bike, the name on the ownership details is YOUR's and not the bike supplier or his 'friend'..... who can later claim you 'stole' the bike. Also don't pay it ALL in one go, otherwise the 'paperwork' goes missing and you may suddenly find the bike supplier claiming he never got a single dollar! Most of the bike sellers are honest, but there are some rough, nasty, ones, who are just waiting for the next 'bule' (white guy). Oh, and wear a Helmet whenever you ride.... the police are on the lookout for the instant Rp 200,000 fine.
Finally, make sure you have a motorbike licence... not the same as a car licence.
Happy travelling, Barekarma

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
ehmmm...not to be an ass (me), but when you are at the dealer buying a new bike..you pick one out, you pay for it and you drive away on it...no waiting time of 1 week before you can take the bike.
You can pick your platenumber from a list at the dealer and get a temporary-plate...from the dealer you also get a surat keterangan wich is good for 10-14days and that makes it legal to drive the bike with that license-plate..after a week (tops 14 days) you can pick up your STNK at the delaer and your real plates.
For the BPKB to be processed/made can take about 2 to 3 months..

Barekarma

Jan 8, 2012
Denpasar
Hi Gilbert,
I am sure that you are right. Maybe we chose the wrong bike seller (Suzuki Dealer in Denpasar) Today, I noticed that they are no longer trading from the same location. (Which probably speaks for itself.) As for the bike scam, that was reported to me by two guys who bought their bikes in Kuta. It was resolved when one of them produced an independent witness (who happened to be a policeman) and it was all brushed away as a 'misunderstanding'. I hope the bike buying is a smooth as you had indicated, Gilbert. I wish ours had been.
Barekarma