ChrisJ

Feb 28, 2017
I'am 25 live in Australia and my girlfriend is 17, lives in Jakarta
she has all required documents, ID card, passport, birth cert., etc

1. I'am unsure if I should ask my sister/mother to sponsor her or be the sponsor myself?
(as age gap and they might worry she will not return)

2. Is it better to have 5k AUD and show my bank statement and agree to pay for everything?
or put the money suddenly into her account?
(or put money in mothers/sisters account and get them to make bank statement)
(im happy to do any option stated above, yes she has bank card)

3. Will asking for 3 month visa make it hard to get a first time visa accepted?
(or should we just ask for 1month)

4. Is it possible to make new visa for Australia when she is here?
(or would it be best to make a trip to bali/jakarta and re-apply for new visa)

Hopefully no hate or silly comments, as I'am seriously curious and would like to apply before the week is finished

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
You usually have to prove that you own property in Indonesia, or have a job, family or business to come back to, otherwise it is difficult.

Maybe you can just try your luck and see what happens. If you have money to burn, maybe contact an agent to help. If your application is refused apparently they don't tell you why it was rejected and there is no refund.

A working holiday visa is another option if she wants to stay for an extended period. As someone mentioned in the other thread, sending someone $5000 is not a good idea and probably not necessary.

ChrisJ

Feb 28, 2017
The money side of things is not my concern, I have known her for 8 months and never been asked for money and I stayed with her and her family free of charge and things while visiting Indonesia.

So I would just like to know if her having family and a previous employer state she has a job and can work when she returns is enough?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
It's impossible to know what is "enough". When I visited Australia with my wife, my mum and sister wrote letters for support. We might have gone overboard with the documentation.

One thing that is important. The application needs to be as honest as possible. They do check up on any information you provide with phone calls etc.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Would it not be possible for her to get one of those student working visas that the whole western world uses to get picking jobs in Oz?

ChrisJ

Feb 28, 2017
I was focusing all my attention as I was told a "tourism visa" is easier to get granted as first time traveler?

Thaiman

May 15, 2014
Bring a GF to Bali is like taking coals to Newcastle. ( if you an Ozzie, u will know what I mean)

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Bring a GF to Bali is like taking coals to Newcastle. ( if you an Ozzie, u will know what I mean)

The OP requested advice, over a year ago, on how to bring his Indonesian girl-friend to Australia....not the other way around...:confused:

'Taking coals to Newcastle' is not a unique idiom for Ozzies....it was originated in Britain in the 1500's when Newcastle-on-Tyne was the distribution centre for UK coal.

from Wiki....
"Although the coal industry of Newcastle-upon-Tyne is now practically non-existent, the expression can still be used today with a degree of literal accuracy, since the harbour of Newcastle in Australia (named for Newcastle in the UK) after abundant coal deposits were discovered there and exploited by early European settlers has succeeded its UK namesake by becoming the largest exporter of coal in the modern world....."

Last edited:
Reactions: spicyayam

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Chris J, your enquiry does not make it clear as to your ultimate intention. Are you hoping your girl friend may visit for an extended stay and then return to Indonesia or do you hope to have her settle in Australia?
Australia has become increasingly difficult regarding visas and costs keep rising. In general a tourist visa might be simplest if she or her family have adequate means of support. A basic question will be what is the purpose of her tourist visit and with whom will she be staying? That she is just 17 may also complicate matters. Does she have any relatives of close friends in Australia as this might then provide a sufficient explanation for the visit. Otherwise if you are to offer her a letter addressed to immigration indicating that she may stay with you and you will cover any unexpected costs such as medical costs if needed. She must also have some definite sense as to what her tourist plans are for Australia. As you are just 25 and she is 17 it may immediately raise questions as to your intentions. There may be suspicion that your intention is to get her into Australia and then marry. That is not illegal but frowned on and can be complicated.
I invited my Indonesian wife, then single, to visit Australia for tourist purposes and indicated that I would assume responsibility for any unexpected costs. She then had a job and a letter from her employer indicating that she was taking leave and would be returning. If your girlfriend is not employed then that option will be out of the question. After my wife spent some time in Australia we then sought a tourist visa extension and had to show what extra tourist ideas were planned. Later I then sponsored her to stay in Australia but doing that in Australia now costs close to $4000 for the visa application with no refund if unsuccessful.
If you answer my first question I may then be able to offer some further practical advice.

Thaiman

May 15, 2014
The OP requested advice, over a year ago, on how to bring his Indonesian girl-friend to Australia....not the other way around...:confused:

'Taking coals to Newcastle' is not a unique idiom for Ozzies....it was originated in Britain in the 1500's when Newcastle-on-Tyne was the distribution centre for UK coal.

from Wiki....
"Although the coal industry of Newcastle-upon-Tyne is now practically non-existent, the expression can still be used today with a degree of literal accuracy, since the harbour of Newcastle in Australia (named for Newcastle in the UK) after abundant coal deposits were discovered there and exploited by early European settlers has succeeded its UK namesake by becoming the largest exporter of coal in the modern world....."
I knew that mate, its because the pommie Newcastle is finished for coal, that is why I said Ozzie, That is my story and Im sticking to it.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
I really must pay more attention. Because there were posts yesterday I thought the original post was contemporary. I wonder what developed after those original enquiries.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I really must pay more attention. Because there were posts yesterday I thought the original post was contemporary. I wonder what developed after those original enquiries.

The above is a problem with many forums.
Some new member posts a genuine question which may have others interested, as they face similar issues, but the thread gets badly off-track, or some clowns try to humiliate the OP for posting the question, so they disappear and the rest of the forum members are no wiser to the subsequent developments.
I believe all new members of this forum should be treated with civility and courtesy...at least until they're suitably hardened to the ridiculous wisecracks/humour of some of the membership.....including myself.

klaatu

Mar 14, 2014
Blimbingsari banyuwangi and Denpasar
if you apply in Australia then you become a sponsor,it cists twice as much as doing it in Bali..The price in Bali is about 1.8 million. If in Indonesia you write an invitation letter,I have just said will be responsible for all costs and emotional support while visiting.. you can also fill out form 956A ? Stating You will receive all communications about her visa status..Although I did mine for my wife ,I cannot advise about young girlfriends..Using an agent ,they cannot do anything more than you can! If in Bali it is only done at AVAC at benoa square,they only forward your application to Jakarta,oz embassy.