HELP! Trying to buy a house, banks, money transfers etc.

Wayne

Dec 13, 2004
paris France
I am currently trying to buy a villa in Bali. I asked my brokerage firm in the U.S. to wire some money to an account in Bali (not mine but the house owner's) and found to my dismay that they have Indonesia on an "Uncooperative Country" list and refuse to do any money wires to Bali.

What can I do? I am a U.S. citizen and reside in France. I would like to know if I can open a bank account in dollars in Bali, write a check in dollars from my US. accounts and deposit it in the new account and then somehow get that money to the house owner.

Is this easy? Is it possible? I need to know quickly because I am leaving in two days!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Wayne

Feelhip

Apr 15, 2004
Boston - USA
Well....First of all I don't know if it is wise to send your money directly to the owner account. Better approach a notary or a lawyer. Normally you should have one if you want the title of the house to be transfered to you...
Secondly, if you are resident in France most probably you have a bank account in France. Transfert your money from US to this account and then to an account in Indonesia as France do not consider Indonesia as un...what so ever. I do that kind of transfer from my account in France from time to time, helping my Indonesian nephews for their college studies.

Philippe

Irislahay

Apr 10, 2004
France, Bali now
Yep, Feelhip is right, you must be have an account in France, usually, people in France use "Carte Bleu" from La Poste (BCA connect with La Poste), you can use that, TFI can help you also, just ask the formulaire in the post office and then fill the blank, then send it, that's easy. But usually, the money will go to US first to change the euro become dollars...

Wayne

Dec 13, 2004
paris France
Thanks for your help but what I really need to know is if it is legal, possible and easy for me to open an account in US dollars at a bank in Bali. I would prefer not to bring the money from the US to France and convert it to Euros because of the terrible exchange rate now.

Can anyone answer me?

Thank you Wayne

trickey

Dec 14, 2004
Seattle - USA
It's wise to open a US dolar account in Bali. From US u can send $9500 each time. Do not send more than that or you will be asked to fill out papers.

Dec 7, 2004
western australia
I know many years ago, bank bali would allow bank accounts in US dollars. Do they even exist anymore though? That, i cannot answer :wink:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Wayne, you initially posted, “I am currently trying to buy a villa in Bali.” My first thought is have you considered this completely? Foreign ownership of property in Indonesia is very difficult, although possible.

But, in the next breath you also wrote, “I asked my brokerage firm in the U.S. to wire some money to an account in Bali (not mine but the house owner's).”

Yikes! I truly “fear” for you with that one! :shock:

For US dollar accounts, Lippo is the best. Yes, you can open a Lippo US dollar account, even if you’re not a US citizen.

As for “purchasing” your villa, may I suggest you do some detailed searching in the archives of this forum? All that you need to know is here, either in the archives, or through links to professional and well regarded firms that can help make your dreams come true.

Good luck with your endeavor, as it can happen.

zenfish

Oct 22, 2004
USA
Lippo? What is this magic Lippo of which you speak? Explanations are delicious but web links are divine!

--G.L. AKA zenfish