jcharn

Nov 5, 2013
SA
Myself and 3 kids possibly making the move from South Africa....whoop whoop! Reality is my beloved 3 dogs will be left behind. So need to know if dogs crossing the great divide are accepted into Bali. Very heartbroken! I have so many questions, many of which are answered in the forums, but sure I will be regular with the amount of information needed.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Hi jcharn, welcome to the forum. I am happy to answer this one before Markit gets on line and sends you a curt message that he regards as friendly and helpful.

The short answer is that dogs are not permitted to be brought in or out of Bali. But they can be brought to Java with the usual hassles of paperwork and quarantine. From there, people use agents to "smuggle" them to Bali.

Check this thread https://balipod.com/forum/threads/dogs-still-not-allowed-to-and-from-bali-right.8638/

Markit may have replied with something like:

since all your questions have been answered ad infinitum (often) please use the Search function. If you still don't understand something then ask.

Then you might go to the search box and enter dog, but it refuses 3-letter words, so you might try "dog bali" but the results are disappointing. Either you keep experimenting, or you give up and go away.

Please let us know what you decide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Dogs to Bali.

Coals to Newcastle.

Figure about $4000.00 + per dog and that's if you do the boarding your end yourself, if you hire a firm to do the loading add $2k per to that price.

Fact is it's illegal to transport dogs to Bali and anyone doing it is breaking the law (sooo?) and risks having dogs destroyed if they are caught. So at around $20k to possibly get your dogs dead. I'll do it for $10k - just send a return air ticket.

If this still hasn't put you off call Groovy Pets (google it) in Jakarta

jcharn

Nov 5, 2013
SA
Many thanks RonB and Markit. I think smuggling in a rotweiler in could prove rather troublesome as not quite the most inconspicuous type of dog . Thanks for your responses. Safe to say that new homes will be found in SA. Still working out my way around this forum, so apologies for incorrect postings, wrong places an just general bugger-ups. Come alive!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
RonB I know you will never believe this but when I posted yours wasn't there ... so there!!

- how did you smuggle your smug answer in before me?

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
Got decision on leaving the dog behind, I know its hard but its the responsible thing to do.
The price of relocating animal is crazy (double the cost of human if you count all the paperwork), unless you cant live without him, better leave the dog in your country to save him the hassle of adjusting to Bali weather and the humid weather

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Gotta say the dog adjusted to Bali better than the wife did.

Q. What's the difference between your wife and your dog?

A. Dog will be happy to see you when you let him out of the trunk.

That wasn't a joke!

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Markit, that is truly amazing. I can not imagine any human or any animal being happy to see you.
Jcarn the other thing to be aware of here is various cock smokers feel they have the right to poison dogs. Both of my dogs were poisoned on the 24th of November.
I understand that local mongrels need to be controlled but I do wish they would put signs up so we can keep our dogs away from certain areas for a period of time.
It really is not fun having a walk along the beach and seeing your dog suddenly go into spasms. I managed to bring her back to life three times but finally the tongue turned purple and she was dead. Her son looked on as this happened . Two minutes later he went through the same routine.

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
No idea, my sympathy to you.
One of my Balinese neighbor just accused my dog of eating his chicken, but he can't show us the dead chicken and only demands that the dog is given to him for a dog satay :icon_rolleyes:

Lea

Jun 11, 2012
No Idea that is so so tragic...

Was it the beach down from your villa...??

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Markit, that is truly amazing. I can not imagine any human or any animal being happy to see you.
Jcarn the other thing to be aware of here is various cock smokers feel they have the right to poison dogs. Both of my dogs were poisoned on the 24th of November.
I understand that local mongrels need to be controlled but I do wish they would put signs up so we can keep our dogs away from certain areas for a period of time.
It really is not fun having a walk along the beach and seeing your dog suddenly go into spasms. I managed to bring her back to life three times but finally the tongue turned purple and she was dead. Her son looked on as this happened . Two minutes later he went through the same routine.

so sad...:icon_cry:

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
...sorry fokes ...its...a DOG FFS... now having said that I was devastated when me Goldfish died...

Sure it wasn't a piraña??? Lots of us are attached to our dogs, and it is especially devastating when they are poisoned and die in front of us, unfortunately a frequent event here in Bali....so have some compassion!!!

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
Sure it wasn't a piraña??? Lots of us are attached to our dogs, and it is especially devastating when they are poisoned and die in front of us, unfortunately a frequent event here in Bali....so have some compassion!!!

A quote you may be familiar with.....I have just learnt that pleasing everyone is impossible. But, pissing them off is a piece of cake...

I hit 'compassion overload' about eight or nine years ago now...but let's have a go..sorry your pooch croaked...why not take in one of those poor mangy curs you see lying in the gutters...

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
A quote you may be familiar with.....I have just learnt that pleasing everyone is impossible. But, pissing them off is a piece of cake...

I hit 'compassion overload' about eight or nine years ago now...but let's have a go..sorry your pooch croaked...why not take in one of those poor mangy curs you see lying in the gutters...

Such a nice man. Hope one of those mangy curs bites you on the arse. But then it may give you a lobotomy! (pun intended). :black_eyed:

:topsy_turvy:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
So sorry to hear about your goldfish Joe....see....some of us have 'passion...:couple_inlove:

btw why ARE there so many dogs in Bali and why are most so mangy....were they a protected animal at some point? I know that Indian Hindus revere cows....but mangy dogs?

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud

Maybe you should use it as yours... Fits the bill perfectly...as you have pissed off most of us that have dogs here in Bali

Do you actually know what compassion means mr writer, give us a few words in proper English so that we can all understand. BTW I am sure no idea is thrilled with your apology....

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Balipod Golden Rule Number 1A, Top

"You can call someone's wife an ugly, syphilitic, no-account whore, their kids stupid, pimple farm, inbred idiots but DON'T, EVER, NEVER FUCK WITH THEIR DOGS!!!!"