Health insurance for fly in fly out worker

TheRudeTourist

Oct 24, 2022
Selatan
Hi guys
What options do I have for health insurance as a fly in fly out worker from Western Australia?
My situation, I am on spouse KITAS, have private health insurance in Australia (more so for tax reasons).
Am I eligible for BPJS and would that be enough for emergencies? Want to make sure I'm covered for bike and surfing accidents particularly.
I've heard mixed reviews about some of the insurance companies in Indonesia, and it looks quite pricey also.
I was using a yearly travel insurance cover through OneCover before covid times, but I'm not sure whether that would apply to me anymore as I would be considered a resident?
Also a friend of mine said possibly get in contact with my Australian health insurance company as he organized a deal through his insurance company back in the UK that covers him while living in Indonesia, not sure if this is a common thing though.
Thanks

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Generally travel insurance will only cover you for a maximum of 2 months in any one country in any one year, some only 1 month. Having said that you could look at recurring 3 week travel insurance policies from Oz, for instance buying a new policy every 3 weeks when you're about to come back to Bali.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Generally travel insurance will only cover you for a maximum of 2 months in any one country in any one year, some only 1 month. Having said that you could look at recurring 3 week travel insurance policies from Oz, for instance buying a new policy every 3 weeks when you're about to come back to Bali.
It used to be if you were listed on the WNI sponsors family kartu you would be eligible for BPJS but I think that option is no longer avaiable. If you do not have an international or Indonesian licence for your bike (I presume scooter or motorbike) then you would not be covered in the event of an accident even if you had insurance. Not unusual for visitors finding themselves in hospital and looking at charges of thousands of dollars for serious injuries. Good luck.

TheRudeTourist

Oct 24, 2022
Selatan
It used to be if you were listed on the WNI sponsors family kartu you would be eligible for BPJS but I think that option is no longer avaiable. If you do not have an international or Indonesian licence for your bike (I presume scooter or motorbike) then you would not be covered in the event of an accident even if you had insurance. Not unusual for visitors finding themselves in hospital and looking at charges of thousands of dollars for serious injuries. Good luck.
That’s what I forgot to mention actually. Travel insurance would be pretty useless to me as I don’t have a motorbike license in Australia so can’t get International license for that. I do have an Indonesian bike and car license though.
So I guess it’s either BPJS (if applicable) or through a local insurance company (will phone my Australian health insurance first though), anyone know of any reputable companies, so many mixed reviews on companies like Allianz etc ..

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
I find it hard to deal with the local insurance reps. for reasons that are obvious to seasoned expats here.

As such I use a broker in Singapore (Pacificprime) that set up a list of options for me based on some preferences from me. I did not pay this agent anything, so I assume they get their commission from the insurance company.

1. I stick to basic plans as the 'gold standard' ones often is not required.
2. I only use in-patient cover, but include dental surgeries.
3. I use large deductible to reduce premium: If you can self-insurance the first (lets say) USD 5,000 -- this will reduce premium a lot. I just stash the USD away in a separate account if ever needed, or use CC if a major claim should happen.
4. I include repatriation to home country.

The lowest cost used to be NowHealth (Hong Kong based) that co-operates with PT Sompo here in Indonesia (Denpasar office), paid around USD 300/m for family of 3. I claimed once with Now Health and that was harder than pulling teeth. However, they eventually relented and paid up in full. They wanted me to register my CC with a local fintec pay portal (which I do not trust one bit) so I switched to US based VUMI paying a bit more, USD 450/m w/word-wide cover excl. US and USD 5,000 deductible.

Link to get quotes from large number of providers.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheRudeTourist

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Not sure if I've mentioned this here already but as of the end of November we owners of retirement visas are now eligible for BPJS Indonesian health coverage. This may be old news to many but I'm still meeting expats that don't know.
VIP coverage for the massive payment of IDR 150k/month - eat your heart out NHS UK and Medicare US

Tezza71

Oct 31, 2018
Not sure if I've mentioned this here already but as of the end of November we owners of retirement visas are now eligible for BPJS Indonesian health coverage. This may be old news to many but I'm still meeting expats that don't know.
VIP coverage for the massive payment of IDR 150k/month - eat your heart out NHS UK and Medicare US
Does that also apply to the Spouse Kitas Markit. If it does how long must you be on the Spouse kitas before you become eligible. I tried to search the forum but had little or no success

Reactions: tel522

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Thanks @Markit, I didn't know that. Will look into it.

Any website or contact you could provide us ?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Ok guys as you should imagine giving and getting BPJS seems to be a hit or miss Indonesian kind of thing so I'll try and make it understandable.

What you will need:
BPJS For Retirement KITAS & KITAP Holders
NEEDED:
* Passport & a copy.
* Copy of your KITAS & SKTT
OR
* Copy of your KITAP & KTP
* Local bank account - take bank book or copy of the data page showing your Name, A/C Number, etc.
NOTE: Reportedly only accepted banks : BRI , BNI , BCA , BTN , MANDIRI. No others.
Some report must be in Indonesia 6 + months, others report not.
PROSESS :
Take all above to BPJS Office in your area.
When you come to the office with the above mentioned items they can do the registration. It is all done electronically now on the spot

The WEIRD THING is that not all BPJS offices seem to be in on this and have been turning lots of expats that should be eligible away! You can go to any office you want to so 2 that I know are accepting are the office in Renon and the one in Amlapura so first try your nearest and if they send you packing try one of these.

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
Hey Mr markit , I would be interested in your website info as it conflicts with latest information
  • Proof of medical/health Insurance, life insurance, and third-party personal liability insurance in country of origin or Indonesia (Note: Foreign retirees are NOT eligible to enroll in BPJS Kesehatan - the National Health Insurance in Indonesia)
  • Retirement in Indonesia​

Visit the Living in Indonesia Expat Forum

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hey Mr markit , I would be interested in your website info as it conflicts with latest information
  • Proof of medical/health Insurance, life insurance, and third-party personal liability insurance in country of origin or Indonesia (Note: Foreign retirees are NOT eligible to enroll in BPJS Kesehatan - the National Health Insurance in Indonesia)
  • Retirement in Indonesia​

Visit the Living in Indonesia Expat Forum

As I said: "The WEIRD THING is that not all BPJS offices seem to be in on this and have been turning lots of expats that should be eligible away! You can go to any office you want to so 2 that I know are accepting are the office in Renon and the one in Amlapura so first try your nearest and if they send you packing try one of these."
My info is from November this year. Prior to that your information was true - things change. Welcome to Indonesia.

PS I was at the BPJS offices this am and all fine BUT as I said they aren't all the same. Try Amlapura if your nearest won't play ball.

Reactions: Padangbai Dennis

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
As I said: "The WEIRD THING is that not all BPJS offices seem to be in on this and have been turning lots of expats that should be eligible away! You can go to any office you want to so 2 that I know are accepting are the office in Renon and the one in Amlapura so first try your nearest and if they send you packing try one of these."
My info is from November this year. Prior to that your information was true - things change. Welcome to Indonesia.

PS I was at the BPJS offices this am and all fine BUT as I said they aren't all the same. Try Amlapura if your nearest won't play ball.
Iv had bpjs since 2014 , married kitap , but ya I know of many cases ,married kitas / kitap whom have had problems enrolling , perca members had some assistance in processing.
I know there are differences between office to office .

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Iv had bpjs since 2014 , married kitap , but ya I know of many cases ,married kitas / kitap whom have had problems enrolling , perca members had some assistance in processing.
I know there are differences between office to office .
It's really not as difficult as it sounds. Go talk to a pretty woman for 5 minutes at the BPJS offices, show her your documents, take the pay order to the bank that they give you. Sorted.
BPJS for married was always available - even for expats back years ago, for about 2 or 3 years then they dropped cover for retirement Kitas holders. Now it's back - I suspect something to do with the 2nd Home Visa or Digital Gonads but who cares? It's cheap and does the job.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
My WNI wife enquired at BPJS Renon about 2 years ago and was told I would not be covered as a Kitap holder although it had previously been available. Has that been changed since then so that I would now be eligible or were we given incorrect advice at that time?

And I presume I must be registered on the kartu keluarga?

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
My WNI wife enquired at BPJS Renon about 2 years ago and was told I would not be covered as a Kitap holder although it had previously been available. Has that been changed since then so that I would now be eligible or were we given incorrect advice at that time?

Harry your on a married kitap ya ? , I would suggest your wife contacts perca if she still has problems with bpjs renon , yes you must be on kartu keluarga .
Good luck , keep us informed of progress .

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Harry your on a married kitap ya ? , I would suggest your wife contacts perca if she still has problems with bpjs renon , yes you must be on kartu keluarga .
Good luck , keep us informed of progress .
Sorry, who or what is perca? " I would suggest your wife contacts perca ...."

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali

You were always eligible. I reckon your wife is just trying to get rid of you.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
You were always eligible. I reckon your wife is just trying to get rid of you.
Yes but on the other hand we live on my pension income. Anyway we will follow up on that perca website, thanks to Tel522, after we move house this month.

Reactions: tel522