spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
It seems like someone or I should say a family who has been fairly close and friendly to us, has been saying bad things about us, to all and sundry behind our backs. All of our other friends and acquaintances picked up on it but didn't want to say anything to us, as they either didn't want to make trouble or had the impression we were good friends with these people. Now we have started asking various people and our staff about what the family said about us and are hearing some incredible stories. They haven't done anything serious (yet) but we still have ties to these people, and I can't help feeling a little concerned.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Can you be a little more specific? Afraid these brush strokes are a little too broad for me to understand what you are asking.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Re post #1
I'd get a damned good lawyer and find if they have actually defamed you.
Defamation in Indonesia is criminal, civil and lucrative.....as we have seen in the post about Siloam Hospital and "Prita".

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Re post #1
I'd get a damned good lawyer and find if they have actually defamed you.
Defamation in Indonesia is criminal, civil and lucrative.....as we have seen in the post about Siloam Hospital and "Prita".

Yeah you might do that if you were planning on leaving the area just after. I presume since Spicy has a wife and kids and a business there that he might want to hang around a bit.

I've heard that these things can get fairly dangerous up in the Singaraja area? That's why it would be better to hear some more...

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Re post #4:
Glad you found the subtlety in my post #3. For a person who berates others, including myself, for lack of it... I'm heartwarmed to note you are full of it.

It didn't pass my notice that Spicyayam has previously posted his wife is a lawyer.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
We gave a job (as security) to the brother of the woman my wife was friends with. This guy is not the sharpest tool in the shed, to put it mildly. It got to that point eventually where we just had to let him go. So of course the family were not happy about this. He has three children, but all of his salary went to his girlfriend. His parents and sister take care of his kids. So it wasn't like the family was losing income. It does seem like the family had hopes or plans of everyone eventually working at our place, which is why I think they are most upset about.

My wife's friend married her uncle who she has two kids. The uncle/husband lives in Kupang with his first wife and is apparently very rich. Our staff overheard them saying "don't worry they will all be dead soon". I guess they have some kind of plan to use black magic against us. You couldn't make this **** up.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Your(Javanese) wife's friend(Balinese) is married to her own uncle?

You gave a job to her brother and then fired him?

Spicy if it's any consolation I hear all kinds of similarly complicated stories from the locals and it is always tied to dire events, death and destruction. Very few, if any, of the actuators in these stories ever come to any harm at all. It seems to be a part of the dramatic nature of leading an otherwise mind-numbingly boring life as many of the locals do.

Perhaps send a monthly 25k bag of rice to wife and kids for the next couple of months?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Re post #4:
Glad you found the subtlety in my post #3. For a person who berates others, including myself, for lack of it... I'm heartwarmed to note you are full of it.

It didn't pass my notice that Spicyayam has previously posted his wife is a lawyer.

Davita I don't berate anyone, every for lack of subtlety, only for lack of grips and I probably shouldn't do that since it's a genetic problem, but it seemed you had some sort of formulaic answer that showed you actually hadn't considered the possible outcome had Spicy followed your advise.

If you take someone to court here you are in for ostracism from you banjar/village/hamlet particularly if you are not from here or your wife were perhaps Javanese... I rest my case mi'lud.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Spicy if it's any consolation I hear all kinds of similarly complicated stories from the locals and it is always tied to dire events, death and destruction. Very few, if any, of the actuators in these stories ever come to any harm at all. It seems to be a part of the dramatic nature of leading an otherwise mind-numbingly boring life as many of the locals do.

Yes, I do realize this. It has however made my Sumatran wife upset a bit though and I highly doubt she will be sending them any rice. At least if you stop seeing me online here you will know what happened :icon_eek:

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
This might be a possible response:
Find a bomoh.. & have him 'bless' the house & family - make sure word of this gets back to the offender(s) with the hint/suggestion that they're being specifically 'preyed for' (or since Mrs Spicy's from Sumatra invite an elderly relative to visit & wayang it)
Magic is a powerful force for those who believe in it

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Spicy,honestly I like all the others don't have an answer on how to deal with your situation,wish I did,as for you couldn`t make this s*** up well I know you are not doing so,

Around 7 years ago I bought a lease on a place in Sanur,(restaurant) with living accommodation,it was really close to another well established and very popular establishment,

My wife is Javanese and also Muslim and I always felt that there are some people who resent Javenese coming to Bali and taking jobs and especially if they are Muslim,we weren't taking jobs in fact we created jobs, in the beginning the place did quite good business,we were constantly being watched by out opposition neighbor,really obvious watching,i would see his staff member constantly walking past our place several times a night,i can only guess that they were sent out to watch and report back,

Business was doing ok keeping our heads above water I would say,then things began to change,paint splattered on the front of the place over night several times and other similar things,strange objects left on the ground in front of the place,

Eventually one morning the whole front of the place on the outside was completely splattered with blood,i have no idea what that means but it didn't feel good,at the same time my wife became pregnant and she was really scared,as I spend several months a year in Ny it was her having to deal with it,in the end I flew back to Bali and sold the place,

We lost a couple of K but nothing big,honestly we were happy to be out of there,i don't understand any of this type of behavior and what any of it means but to us peace of mind and our own safety and the safety of our unborn son was of more importance,

Im not suggesting that you quit your business like we did,sounds like you have a whole lot more invested in it than we had,

I do know that Indonesiand believe a lot of stuff like that,even my wife some years ago was always going on about ghosts,until I told her enough I don't want to hear any more of it,

Hopefully you will be able to resolve it peacefully ,

Man I wish you the best of luck,

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
This man and his family have a serious problem going on here,this is heavy duty stuff ,whether we as foreigners believe in magic or not the Balinese do,and we have to respect it,does the magic stuff work,we don't know,suggestions like getting a lawyer which we would do in the west don't work here,and suggestions of poisioning people is totally inappropriate,remember the words ,,,don't worry they will all be dead soon,,,have been spoken by some of the people involved,that my fellow members is a serious threat ,try imagining if you were in the same or similar situation what you would do, I feel sure you wouldn't be making such crazy suggestions,